Looking to buy used pack

fargoflyfish

Good morning,

I have decided to do an elk hunt in Montana this archery season. I'm looking to buy a used pack. I've read a lot of the threads about backpacks on here and it seems the consensus is to get one of the high end packs. Unfortunately, I will have to put that off for a few years because I have some other stuff I need to get first. The pack I am looking at is the kelty cache hauler frame pack. Before I buy a new one, I thought I would check to see if someone on here is looking to get rid of theirs. I would also be interested in other makes/models if they work for packing meat out.

Thanks.

I have an eberlestock pack if you would be interested, I can get you some pics later on today I have used it to haul out numerous boned out elk and it works flawlessly, pm and I can text you some pics and a price if interested.

Did you go to the classifieds within Hunttalk? There are lots of great used packs being sold there.

Good morning,

I have decided to do an elk hunt in Montana this archery season. I'm looking to buy a used pack. I've read a lot of the threads about backpacks on here and it seems the consensus is to get one of the high end packs. Unfortunately, I will have to put that off for a few years because I have some other stuff I need to get first. The pack I am looking at is the kelty cache hauler frame pack. Before I buy a new one, I thought I would check to see if someone on here is looking to get rid of theirs. I would also be interested in other makes/models if they work for packing meat out.

Thanks.
http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=264656

I did see that they didn't like the kelty. I really would like to get one of the more expensive packs. However, my wife is coming with me this season and it is her first time out. I have to get her set up too. A $300-$600 pack isn't in the cards this year. I was hoping to find something usable for around $100. The kelty cache hauler gets a lot of good reviews in regards to hauling meet. I know it isn't perfect, but I was hoping it is a decent starting point for a few years.

Guy in the classified here just had a J-107 for $200. I have a 104,love it.
check for Cabellas freighter packs if you want a frame hauler too. Mine was replacement for an ancient Kelty I had as a kid. 40 +yrs and it broke...

Last edited:
Guy in the classified here just had a J-107 for $200. I have a 104,love it.
check for Cabellas freighter packs if you want a frame hauler too. Mine was replacement for an ancient Kelty I had as a kid. 40 +yrs and it broke...

That guy is me and the pack is for sale. It will definitely get the job done. I have pics up in the classified section. If I don't sell in the next couple of weeks I will be using it this fall. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks for looking.

I have a cabelas Alaskan pack and a Sitka bivy 45 I would be willing to sell. Shoot me a PM and I can send you photos and figure out what I want for them. The Alaskan has packed out one elk and the Sitka a bear.

Fargo,

I got an eberlestock J104 pack that you could borrow if you want to. It has been used and has carried a lot of meat and such so it doesn't look brand new.

Let me know and we could figure out logistics.

Greg

$100

for a $100 you can pick up a U.S Army current issue ruck sack or Marine ruck works really well. If it works in a real war it should handle a few years of hard hunting.

I have a Janssens hardcore hunt pack you can have in your price range if you want. I took it on a trade and don't need another pack. $125 to your door for a $350 pack I think is a fair deal. I will pm you my # in case your are interested. I can text or email you pictures. Shane

for a $100 you can pick up a U.S Army current issue ruck sack or Marine ruck works really well. If it works in a real war it should handle a few years of hard hunting.

At least the Army's pack is not very good. Most guys who have been in the "real wars" would attest. If you want surplus go with the older ALICE pack.

Having carried both the large frame and medium alice packs and the newer MOLLE style ruck, I would recommend the large frame alice pack. If you do, make sure you get the longer shoulder straps. They really make a big difference.

If you go the military surplus route, WHat Ross and Tikka06 said.....the MOLLE and it's plastic frame is garbage IMO. In addition to my Eberlestock, I have a large ALICE pack I'd consider parting with. Although the cost to ship vs buy at your local surplus store may make it a wash from a price standpoint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back