What's the best GPS topo map program?

windymtnman

Not sure what forum this question might best fit in, but I picked this one.

Okay, I've used a Garmin GPS for years now in the Colorado backcountry. Obviously it's a handy tool in so many ways. I also enjoy uploading my data into my laptop, and reviewing it, and then you can also send data back into the GPS unit.

My question is, what do others think is the best FREE topo map program to use with a Garmin GPS? Garmin has mapping programs and I've also been using a free download of "Colorado Topo Maps", however my issue with the "Colorado Topo Maps" program is that they don't show a great many of the numbered USFS Forest trails on them. I really want those numbered Forest trails on my GPS.
It's a bit frustrating, as the older mapping programs seemed to be more detailed and better than the ones coming out today.
Anyway, looking for suggestions others might have and like that are free, and Garmin compatible.
Thanks!

Some one posted a way to add overlays to Garmin,xmaps,satalite images and I lost how to do it,being a pc idiot....free too.It's on my stolen pc......
I noticed same thing Windy, my old Magellan had great topos and had most roads and trails.
I wish the Garmin/xmaps had as good topo detail,but the landowner stuff it has make it no brainer here in NM.

You could always put a scanned forest service map on your garmin. You can do it thru google earth pro, which is free but understand the tile limits of your gps will determine how much of that map you can put in the custom map folder on the hand held. 100 tiles isn't much, 500 is better (montana 600/oregon 600).

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back