Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New allie transfer of public lands

BuzzH

Looks like the Sweetwater County Commissioners have sided with Sportsmen in Wyoming over the transfer of public lands.

Good to see and maybe some emails, calls are in order to thank them.

The Sweetwater County Commission has joined sportsmen's groups in opposing state management or ownership of federal lands.

Meanwhile, on Thursday lawmakers received a handout from the Wyoming Sportsmen Alliance, which represents nine outdoors organizations, urging them to vote against two federal land bills in the Legislature.

The alliance represents about 50,000 hunters and anglers across the state, said Steve Kilpatrick, executive director of the Wyoming Wildlife Federation, a group member.

But lawmakers who support state management or ownership of federal lands are unmoved. They believe Wyoming has a legal right to the land because the federal government has turned over acreage to other states.

They say state officials would be more responsive and flexible to people’s concerns than the federal bureaucracy.

Sweetwater commissioners sent the Jan. 29 letter to lawmakers representing the county in Cheyenne.

The commissioners outlined a position that the state cannot afford to manage the lands. It noted that the Bureau of Land Management spends $106 million a year and has 668 full-time employees to manage 18 million surface acres and 40 million subsurface acres of minerals.

“Sweetwater County believes that, due to the unaffordable costs of administering acquired federal lands, the state will be forced to sell portions of these lands to private entities,” the letter states.

“Under private ownership, it would be highly likely that these lands would preclude public access to prime wildlife habitat and public lands that form the foundation of the quality of life we all enjoy in Wyoming.”

Full article here:

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regi...5d-a69f-1b1ed383b4a2.html#.VNY7xAcjXy4.mailto

+1 Ben, as it would sure help to have some of them on our side besides the Legislators just getting our individual emails and letters on this issue!

My response from the Utah's Governors office...surprised? Lol. Utah is full of sheep. It's unreal to see. For the number of sportsman that currently hunt public lands in Utah it has been almost crickets regarding this topic.

"Dear Brian:

Thank you for your email to the Office of the Governor regarding the transfer of public lands. I have been asked to respond on behalf of the Governor. Our office appreciates hearing from constituents and your comments and opinion regarding this issue have been noted.

A transfer of public lands from federal to state ownership and management will protect and enhance sportsmen's access to and enjoyment of the lands. Contrary to what sportsmen are being told, the lands will remain public lands, and will not pass to private ownership. Under state management existing access will be preserved and protected, unlike the federal predisposition to close roads and restrict access to hunting and fishing areas. Sportsmen and sportswomen everywhere should support and look forward to the state's multiple use/multiple access public lands policy.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding this matter."

Sincerely,

Austin Cox
Constituent Services

Sometimes 'Constituent Services' doesn't mean what you think it means.

...or maybe it does.

Dear Jeremiah:

Thank you for contacting me regarding federal land in Wyoming. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Wyoming has many points of pride, but perhaps none rival our public lands legacy. Among the approximately 48 percent of federally owned lands in our state, we boast the nation's first national park, the first national forest, and the first national monument. Nine national forests and one national grassland lie within our State's borders. As Wyoming citizens, we have a right to be proud of these treasures.

We also have a right to be proud of the way our state has helped manage and protect our public lands and resources for the enjoyment of future generations. Wyoming citizens have and will continue to weigh in on public lands issues such as snowmobile and off-road vehicle (ORV) use, the rights of grazing permits, wolf management, interstate Water Compacts, and BLM wild horse and burro management decisions. Good stewardship of the land is a Wyoming value and as a rancher I hold that ideal in the highest regard.

It is equally my responsibility in Congress to protect the right of access to our public lands - for recreation, hunting and fishing, grazing, and in some areas, environmentally sound energy development. Many in Congress would prefer to lock up our public lands from the vast majority of these uses. Those individuals don't understand the innate respect we Westerners have for our own lands and resources. Proper public land management requires balance. Wyoming understands this relationship between use and protection. I will work to ensure that same balance is reflected in the public lands policies we enact here in Washington.

Thank you again for taking the time to write to me. I value your input. If you haven't done so already, I would like to encourage you to visit my website at www.lummis.house.gov. There you can sign up to receive my newsletter, and have access to a wealth of other information. I won't flood your email box, but I will provide you with updates once in a while about activities in Washington that affect our lives in Wyoming. I hope you will sign up so that we can stay in close touch, and I look forward to seeing you in Wyoming.

Sincerely,
(signed)
Cynthia M. Lummis
Member of Congress

It is interesting how soft the verbiage is getting to the transfer idea. I bolded the part that would signify a transfer. They are trying to sell it like a good idea and nothing will be lost, but given all the budget constraints I find this hard to believe.

We have spoke with and been fortunate for County Commissioners in WNC to side with sportsmen and conservation on our forest plan revision. Hopefully it will take root when the actual plan is decided on.... I reckon we will see!!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back