Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

HuntTalk Podcast

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Last year I looked into doing a radio show. I had thought it would be cool to have Hunt Talk as a weekly radio program. After investigation, I decided that the cost to produce a high quality weekly radio show was too much for what little sponsors wanted to pay. Would just be another loss leader. I can only support so many "loss leaders" in this operation, so it was shelved.

I've always had a close relationship with the Meateater crew. When together, we get to talk about all kinds of topics related to the outdoor world we both operate in. Some pretty interesting discussions result when we are together. Now that they have moved their office to Bozeman, I end up visiting with them even more. Over the last year, they have encouraged me to continue seeking a way to get the radio launched, given the responses they have had when Steve has appeared on other podcasts. Easy for them to say when they are not the ones writing the checks.

Last week,they the new Meateater podcast. Link here - http://themeateater.com/2015/podcastepisode001/

While at SHOT last week, I had breakfast with the Meateater crew and their business development people (yeah, they are a much larger organization than the small crew that runs this operation). They continued to explain to me the value they see in a podcast with a guy who has plenty of interaction in the political realm of hunting policy and has been in the juicy topics of wolves, hunting access, public lands, etc.. And, they are convinced Hunt Talk would be the best possible title for a podcast.

I'm a complete "babe in the woods" on the topic of podcasts. I told them I would do a pilot podcast for them, but they are in charge of producing, distributing, and monetizing (if that is possible) the end product. We'll see how it goes.

I have the luxury of owning all of my platforms, so I am able to discuss topics/people/actions that are normally off limits to those who depend upon this industry for their monthly paycheck. Not that I want to "stir the pot" just to be an arse, but there are plenty of topics that few outdoor folks will touch due to the supposed wrath of Khan that will come down. Me, I'm mostly exempt from that. What they gonna do, fire me and let me stop losing money and go do my hunting without the interference of cameras?

Curious how many of you do/would listen to a podcast, and if so, would something we produce about a lot of the topics discussed here, be podcast you would tune into and share with your friends.

With that background, I'm interested to know what the Hunt Talk crowd thinks would be good topics for discussion. And if it goes beyond a pilot project, who would be good guest you think might add some flavor. So, if you have any thoughts on such, let me know.

Yes.Yes.Yes!

I listen to podcasts a large portion of my waking day. I work in GIS so it is conducive to listening while I work. I listen to them while I work out or run. I listen to them while I'm working in my shop.

I have scoured the interwebs for hunting podcasts. Most focus on eastern hunting. I was really excited when last week Rinella launched his own podcast, and I listen intently when Joe Rogan has hunting "personalities" on his show (Rinella, Remi Warren, Jim Shockey, etc.) Actually, when Meateater asked on their FB page about their new podcast, I recommended you as a guest they need to have. I recall you being on a podcast a couple years ago - if you search Newberg in ITunes I believe it still comes up.

Hunting needs people who will stand up to the "wrath of the Khan". You fill that role well with this forum, and juxtaposed against the Khan often show him/them/her to be asshats. A podcast would be another way.

Political issues pertaining to hunting, non-resident struggles, the value hunting has as it pertains to conservation, the history of conservation, the joy/frustration of hunting, as well as the crooked orgs out there that waste money, the problems of litigation and the struggles of management - all are topics that could fill their own podcasts. Guests could range from the well known "personalities" of hunting, to contemporary conservationists, to anti-hunters, to lobowatch kooks, to the average American scraping by to get out hunting every year.

A guest I would love to hear on a hunting podcast - Jim Posewitz

I'll offer another big thumbs up to the podcast idea. You'd be great, Randy. And, the MeatEater crew is right, you have the market cornered on the perfect name for a hunting podcast.

As for folks to invite on the show, what about the biologist and conversationist that hosted the Boone & Crockett Club shows, Shane Mahoney? I always liked what he had to say on those shows. And, c'mon, does anyone have a better radio voice than Mr. Mahoney?

I think I would be a pretty good guest :D But, I would think a podcast would be pretty cool. It's one thing to read about legislations and other stuff on this site, but to hear it would be much better since you could stop and explain stuff as you go. I also think gear and tactics and unit research would be valuable too. Many people coming from out of the area are baffled and intimidated at the process of hunting many Western states. Since you have nationwide exposure from the shows, I'm willing to be that guys from back east would tune in to learn about the research and application process.

I would listen and tell all my friends about it! for guests how about other shows a long the same lines The Meat Eater guys, I don't know your relationship with Jason Matzinger but he might be a good guest. And of course folks from RMEF. Maybe you could even get some politicians on for there views? Well the more I think about it this could be a big challenge for you! Good luck and I'll spread the word when the time comes.

I would definitely listen when biking, hiking, and working out - if someone showed me how...
Very good ideas above for topics/guests. Got to have CSAH '14!! :rolleyes:

Go for it Randy, this would be a great platform to air the things that are somewhat controversial. Which is great for viewer interest and educational at the same time.

A guest I would love to hear on a hunting podcast - Jim Posewitz

I second this guy. You could include guest from all over the west. Guys that make a difference.

I would tune in.

Yes.Yes.Yes!

I have scoured the interwebs for hunting podcasts. Most focus on eastern hunting. I was really excited when last week Rinella launched his own podcast, and I listen intently when Joe Rogan has hunting "personalities" on his show (Rinella, Remi Warren, Jim Shockey, etc.) Actually, when Meateater asked on their FB page about their new podcast, I recommended you as a guest they need to have. I recall you being on a podcast a couple years ago - if you search Newberg in ITunes I believe it still comes up.

Hunting needs people who will stand up to the "wrath of the Khan". You fill that role well with this forum, and juxtaposed against the Khan often show him/them/her to be asshats. A podcast would be another way.

Political issues pertaining to hunting, non-resident struggles, the value hunting has as it pertains to conservation, the history of conservation, the joy/frustration of hunting, as well as the crooked orgs out there that waste money, the problems of litigation and the struggles of management - all are topics that could fill their own podcasts. Guests could range from the well known "personalities" of hunting, to contemporary conservationists, to anti-hunters, to lobowatch kooks, to the average American scraping by to get out hunting every year.

Ditto

I think this is a great idea. Like Nameless Range I listen to podcasts most of the day. Actually I don't remember the last time I've listened to the radio. Good hunting and outdoor related podcasts are hard to come by. I enjoy the hunting related podcasts Rogan does and I really enjoyed the Meateater podcast. I give this idea two thumbs up.

I would love a podcast of yours. Like Nameless Range - I listen to them all the time. I have already gone through the first Meateater podcast - and it seemed to me that they were just testing the waters a bit - being safe having Rogan and Callen on there.

I would also like to hear interviews from some biologists as well. I would absolutely love to hear Valerius Geist get interviewed by yourself or Rinella. Doug Smith would translate well to a podcast.

I think that there is a wealth of topics to work through (political, conservation, hunting, etc). The podcast form works really well and you are in complete control of the format.

I still don't have a clue how to listen to a podcast, or even how to get sound to come out of my computer. If you started one, though, I'd figure it out in a hurry and would spread the word.

I think you could find great guests from all over who are working hard on particular conservation issues. Game wardens could be good guests. The list is endless. I'd probably be less likely to listen if the typical hunting celebrities like Uncle Ted were on the show. I like listening to real people who hunt like the rest of us.

Randy

You've helped many DIY sportsmen learn how to do their own research to get out there and hunt without the need of spending a ton of money on landowner tags or outfitted hunts. I think where you could help in the podcast arena is taking that same tact and talking about how one could get involved in sportsmen related issues. I hear time and time again - oh you just need to join xyz group. We both know there is more you can do than that. So you're a member of all the groups - now what? Don't have the money for them - what can one do?

"What can I do" gets answered quite often - what doesn't is - how do I learn the details, the ins and outs, and most off all, how to do it well and be effective in results?

What I'm saying is in a way become a mentor to others about how to become active in getting stuff done regarding items like protecting public lands.Talk about how one can monitor and be active around wildlife management and the North American Conservation Model. How can you learn about what it takes to fund the previous three items? Oh the list could go on but you get the point.

You have a lot of experience at the legislative level that I think it worthy of sharing with others. How do you get into that kind of stuff, why's it important, where can I make an impact and don't have a lot of money to apply to it?

I was lucky and had some great mentors to help show me the ropes on learning how all the cogs work in this wonderful thing we call hunting. And I'm not talking about going out and showing me how or where to hunt. Instead the part where hunting is used as one of the tools in the toolbox for wildlife management agencies. It has a revenue and expense and knowing what impacts both at the state and national level. Why public lands are important. What meetings to attend to get the best investment of your volunteered time. For me this started when I wanted to get more involved with where the money we raised at banquets and auction tags was spent, how it was spent and why it was spent. What was holding us back from doing more with it? These were boots on the ground issues and it's been an eye opening to those cogs I mentioned and the complexity of how they all inter-worked with each others.

You have both the soapbox and knowledge of such items and I think that's where you will stand out from the crowd (and have been) in the hunting arena.

That or just talk about how to have a heart attack and yet still convince the wife you're well enough to hunt. Inquiring minds want to know.

Good luck
cmc

Love it, you're no stranger to engaging in discussion and telling it like it is. There are so many issues that could be covered, from state specific, hunting in general, public land issues, the food side of hunting, wingnuts clouding issues with rhetoric the list goes on and on.

Aside from a large group of hunting jocks you could bring in as guests, the average Joe hunter, the guys doing work locally on issues, new hunters (foodies, former vegetarians/vegans), women hunters (other than Eva Shockey), would be very interesting to me. I think it would be a great format to bridge some gaps in the hunting community and try an reach new folks.

I listen to Joe Rogan's podcast almost weekly, or at least when he has a good guest on. I don't know that you need to have a podcast every morning, but one podcast per week would be great.

I think it would be a great way to expand on many of the topics that we post threads about on here. It's much easier to educate, inform and discuss things over voice versus a keyboard. Everything from new bills to due dates for draw hunts to how to call in an elk. That's what I really enjoy about Rogan's podcast. He talks about whatever he wants, whenever he wants, because he is in a similar position as you. He is the boss, and he delves into topics that most wont touch.

David Long, Ryan Hatfield, Kristy Titus (grab me her number), Zac Griffith and other guys doin the youtube thing, Jason Matzinger, Corey Jacobsen, game wardens, and F&G directors would all be great guests.

Last edited:
Between a 40 minute commute and as much hunting as I do, I get a ridiculous amount of windshield time that is always accompanied by podcasts. I'd definitely be listening to every episode.

I think if done right, it could be an incredible outlet and pulpit for you. For the most part, there are no interesting hunting podcasts, and I think Steve is make a great move by being the first guy to get in to that market. You following suit would be a big bonus and a smart move.

A couple things that I think would be beneficial to you though-

No filters whatsoever. We all see the filtered you on TV a dozen times a year, it would be a great breath of fresh air to hear you speak directly and unfiltered instead.

As far as guests go, I think you should try to think outside of the box somewhat, and not go with hunting TV 'personalities' very often. Other than a very small group of guys like you and Rinella, I could give two shits about what most of these people think or care about. The vast majority are constantly selling their name and that just doesn't make for an interesting human being.

Authors, politicians, people involved with conservation organizations, and even Joe-blow hunters you know that are charismatic and well spoken would make much better guests. You have quite a network or hunters and conservationists that you interact with, and you know which ones you look forward to conversing with the most.

I'm looking forward to this and really hope it comes to fruition.

Last edited:
This might be a good medium for telling some of stories from your childhood. From the stories you've shared with us here, I'm guessing you know a few folks that can spin a yarn. If you have to, pass the hat and we'll raise some funds here to provide the beer for the guests to get the good stories flowing! :D

I've listened to the Bowcast Podcasts when they first came out. I don't anymore.

I tried to listen to the Rogan podcast but after 5 solid minutes of Rogan pimping his sponsors and no way to fast forward, I canceled trying to listen.

Take it with a grain of salt but I am NOT a talk radio fan. Not that I think Randy wouldn't have interesting topics, or good guests. I would probably listen.

Where I see a problem with the podcast I have had experience with, is that after a year or two the topics tend to repeat. I see topics focused on highlighting sponsor's products. Some topics are visual..Like boning deer...or tying in a peep, etc. Luckily you have a TV show as a vehicle as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back