CO DIY/OTC bowhunter partner, S. San Juans

ridge63

I am looking for a bowhunting partner for 2015 for bowhunting elk in the South San Juans, maybe 81 or 78. This will be my second time out and looking forward to learning more about elk hunting. Preliminary dates are Sept. 14-26. Thanks.

Tucker
Louisville, KY.

That's almost the exact hunt I did this year. Wish I could offer you some advice but I didn't see very many elk when I was there. It was a little warm I think.

You may want to try sending him a PM, he hasn't been back on the Site since the 13th.

Kevin

You've got me scratching my head Kevin! If the guy hasn't been back on the site in over 2 weeks since he made that post, how would sending him a PM get his attention? I don't get an email telling me I have a PM for this site and that's the only way I could see how he would be alerted if he doesn't come back onto the site on his own. Do others get an email alert from this site if they have a PM? I'm on a number of websites and only one has that email alert feature.

Topgun, go to your personal control panel and edit your options. You can enable email notification when a new private message is sent.

I get them

You've got me scratching my head Kevin! If the guy hasn't been back on the site in over 2 weeks since he made that post, how would sending him a PM get his attention? I don't get an email telling me I have a PM for this site and that's the only way I could see how he would be alerted if he doesn't come back onto the site on his own. Do others get an email alert from this site if they have a PM? I'm on a number of websites and only one has that email alert feature.

Mike Check your settings, in your user CP, I get email notices when someone sends me a PM.

Kevin

Mike Check your settings, in your user CP, I get email notices when someone sends me a PM.

Kevin

Well I'll be dipped, as I went right by that feature when I registered here and set things up. Thanks Kevin! Hey, I'm going to the backcracker Wednesday AM in Kazoo and then on down to Gander Mountain to use a gift card at about 10:30AM. If you're working around the area and have a few minutes, maybe you can drop in and shoot the bull. I know, you already shot your bull, LOL!!!

I miss that Gander Mountain. The one here in Indy sells more columbia t-shirts than hunting and fishing stuff. :(

I miss that Gander Mountain. The one here in Indy sells more columbia t-shirts than hunting and fishing stuff. :(

After Kevin and I shot the bull for awhile yesterday(actually almost 2 hours, LOL), I went back looking to buy some IMR 4064 to reload some pdog rounds for my .243. I looked all over for the cabinet that used to hold powder and couldn't find it, so I approached the two guys at the gun counter and asked where it was. The one guy tells me they quit selling ALL reloading type stuff, including powder. I then asked what the heck good was a big sporting goods store without ANY reloading supplies and they both just gave me a puzzled look and didn't say a word. I then went on over and used the gift card towards a pair of ear protectors to replace the old ones that cracked recently while I was at the range and I'll probably not go back to GM any time soon.

Last edited:
Elkhunter, I've changed the settings so I should receive an email now. Still looking and planning and updating equipment. Looking at 78 near Opal Lake and Navajo Peak area. Not completely settled on the area though, I did see some elk South of Platoro area last year and like it there but it is high. Thanks.

Tell us a little about yourself. Physical ability, hunting experience, preferences in a partner ie: non smoker, non drinker, etc. How do you plan to camp? Stuff like that...

Non smoker, won't be drinking during the hunt. 44 years old, decent shape, 5'10" 220 or so. Last year I had some trouble hunting between 10,000 and 12,400 gonna try and fix that this go around. Grew up in PA hunted all my life, whitetails, started bowhunting since around 13. Prior military, active law enforcement, married - four daughters (two step daughters). Wife was worried sick last year and I'd like to ease her concerns. I've done everything from marathons, triathlons to rucking and last years hunt was the toughest - and I want more and some meat or antlers, preferably both.

John - Forgot the camping question. Backpacking in and either setting a spike camp or just bivy camp at the end of the day.

Unit 78 - Bowhunting

Read your post(s) about hunting around Opal Lake, etc.. Just curious if you've hunted there previously, and know the area? (I don't). I do know the area around Platoro pretty well. (We have a ranch North of there, although it's 55 miles on the roads getting there).
We tried to horse pack into the Platoro FS #713 about 10 days ago. The absence of traffic on the roads, and empty trailheads should have been a clue that we're pushing the season a bit, even though it's June. The trails were fine where the Sun had melted the snow off, but the dark timber was another story. Too much snow and torrential streams coming off the mountains making it too difficult and even dangerous to push it. So, we backed out after a mile and camped along the road further South.

I expect I'll bounce around bowhunting this Fall, depending on how my scouting goes this Summer. I enjoy packing in with our horses, and of course they lighten the loads if you put a bull on the ground.
During May, we were seeing over 125 Elk right out of our living room windows almost daily as they went back and forth to feed in the meadows. Less than a 1/2 mile from the house. All dispersed and up high now I expect.

Hi Ridge, just reading through your posts and while I'm out of the game for out west archery this season (just had C5/C6 fused on July 7th) I am very interested in next fall. I about mimic your description you posted to a T. Grew up in MI, now in western NY, hunted whitetails all my lifestyle , former military, active LE, early 40s and decent shape. Hunted the Rubies in NV for mulies last August with a Marine Corps buddy of mine who lives out there. It kicked my behind but I'm forever hooked. My email is [email protected] as I'm new on this site and have not figured out the PM as of yet. Stay safe.
Eric

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back