How to butcher an elk

Cammy

I have done plenty of deer but hope to need info on doing an elk. Would like to make prime rib and a few roasts but don't know where to take them from or how to cut them. Will be making a lot of sausage and brats along with summer sausage. Anybody ever make bologna?

Neck makes really good roasts, front shoulders too. Just ate some neck roast tonight for supper tonight.

I cut the entire backstrap into steaks. You could leave a big piece of it and bake it like prime rib, just don't cook it too long and let it dry out.

The prime rib is the section of back strap in the rib area. The T-bone section is the back strap between the ribs and the hips. If you want to get real exact to traditional prime rib, you should leave the ribs on and roast with the rib side down so no meat is touching the pan.
You can cut up an elk a lot like a deer, but you'll get a lot bigger steaks and roasts. I agree with npaden on the neck as an example of deer burger/sausage areas that turn into great roast/steak areas on an elk.

Thanks for the info! I have been on youtube looking at cow butchering techniques. Wish I could justify a cool butcher band saw. Looks like a hand saw for me.

Odds are, you will have to quarter a Elk to get it out. so for the most part, most of it will be deboned.
not much need for a saw when butchering. IMO

Kevin

I like to make a roast out of the large muscle group on the hindquarters. It's the big football shaped muscle that is the equivalent to your quadriceps muscle. A big bull will usually yield three good sized roasts per side. The sirloin also makes a nice roast if you take your time trimming and removing it.

I've personally never found any need or desire for a saw for butchering, all boneless cuts for me.

A reciprocating saw is a happy medium between band and hand saw.

Thought about this too. Cabela's sells expensive blades but have read that others strip the paint off hardware store metal blades and use them. We have a weekly flea market in town that may yield a battery operated recip to use at camp.

Plan is to get one down pack the 1/4's out take the recip back cut off the neck and split the back bone making 1/2's. Want to keep the ribs intact.

The tricky part is getting one down. LOL!

Gutless Method

Thought about this too. Cabela's sells expensive blades but have read that others strip the paint off hardware store metal blades and use them. We have a weekly flea market in town that may yield a battery operated recip to use at camp.

Plan is to get one down pack the 1/4's out take the recip back cut off the neck and split the back bone making 1/2's. Want to keep the ribs intact.

The tricky part is getting one down. LOL!

You may want to consider watching the video on the gutless method.
getting a Elk out with the way you are thinking will be extremely difficult to say the least. jmo
unless you have pack horses.

Kevin

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back