MR 6500, Kifaru Timberline2, Outdoorsmans Pack

P

Pmringer

I am looking for a used pack to replace my aging backpacking bag from LLBean that I bought right out of high school in 2004. There are three packs I am considering:

Mystery Ranch 6500 with NICE frame, medium yoke, small belt.

Kifaru Timberline 2 either with Duplex frame or with integrated straps and belt.

Outdoorsmans Optics pack

I know it is a long shot but figured I'd check with y'all before shelling out for a new pack before the fall season starts.

Thanks

I received my Timberline 2 with bikini frame at the end of May. First time I took it into the backcountry I put on over 30 miles in two day with a 65 lbs load. I definitely thought the investment was worth it. Although I don't have the backpacking experience many on this site do, I have spent more than my fair share of time under a pack.
The only regret I have is that I didn't order the Timberline 1. Sorta wish the T2 was just a tad bigger.

3xwt

The bulk of my experience is with MR, but I don't think you can go wrong with MR, Kifaru, or Stone Glacier. The Outdoorsman's packs will be high quality and bombproof, but leave much to be desired with versatility and comfort. I can highly recommend MR's Nice frame.

I was set on the external frame of the Outdoorsmans pack but do agree that the MR and Kifaru would be more versatile. I like the NICE system and bag design better but like the contouring available with the Kifaru. It seems the NICE frame with sling would be more versatile for meat pack out.

I am a little conflicted on size as I don't want a massive pack if I don't need it. Cold weather hunts I would likely benefit from the larger T1 or MR 7500.

I use the MR6500/Nice each fall for the last 5 years. Have logged 32 miles cimbined with 95 to 115 pounds in pack plus rifle or bow. Have logged 3x that with around 60 pounds. On sidewalks training have logged over 100 miles at 70 pounds. The pack is an extension of me as I snug the straps. The MR is fantastic but try the others since the fit or technology may be better for you.

I use the MR6500/Nice each fall for the last 5 years. Have logged 32 miles cimbined with 95 to 115 pounds in pack plus rifle or bow. Have logged 3x that with around 60 pounds. On sidewalks training have logged over 100 miles at 70 pounds. The pack is an extension of me as I snug the straps. The MR is fantastic but try the others since the fit or technology may be better for you.

Have you ever wanted more volume? I was thinking of getting the lid that detaches for use as a short trip day pack. I'd hate to go overboard with the 7500. I pack light but want to make sure I have enough volume for extended hunts for various game and conditions.

I've used the MR lid for a total of a couple weeks, all day every day, during some military exercises. I love MR stuff but really didn't care for wearing the daypack lid. It works awesome on the pack, but wearing as a daypack it tends to fold on itself over that middle seam (which it's supposed to do on the top of a pack). Thats just my opinion after wearing for what it's worth.

If you buy the Outdoormans, plan on also buying the auxillary pod.

I'veused mine fairly extensively over the past year, and I don't think the pocket lay out is efficient for any trips over 2-3 nights. I did use the accessory pod, and it makes the pack capable of 7+day backpack trips.

During to 2012 season, I used the MR 6500 for a one week trip in southern Arizona. Awesome, durable pack but the NICE frame/suspension just doesn't feel right to me personally.

I've said on this site before my dream pack would be a 6500 MR pack bag modified to fit the Outdoorsmans frame.

Here's my Outdoorsman(with pod) loaded for 7 days in Montana last season.
JB0A3208.jpg

Last edited:
If you buy the Outdoormans, plan on also buying the auxillary pod.

I'veused mine fairly extensively over the past year, and I don't think the pocket lay out is efficient for any trips over 2-3 nights. I did use the accessory pod, and it makes the pack capable of 7+day backpack trips.

During to 2012 season, I used the MR 6500 for a one week trip in southern Arizona. Awesome, durable pack but the NICE frame/suspension just doesn't feel right to me personally.

I've said on this site before my dream pack would be a 6500 MR pack bag modified to fit the Outdoorsmans frame.

Here's my Outdoorsman(with pod) loaded for 7 days in Montana last season.
JB0A3208.jpg

I was figuring on getting the pod or the Muley pack with it to add 1000+ cubic inches. How does the Outdoorsmans compare to the MR 6500 volume wise? I have seen conflicting numbers for the Outdoorsmans saying it is 5,000 cubic inches and others saying 6,000 before adding the pod.

I was figuring on getting the pod or the Muley pack with it to add 1000+ cubic inches. How does the Outdoorsmans compare to the MR 6500 volume wise? I have seen conflicting numbers for the Outdoorsmans saying it is 5,000 cubic inches and others saying 6,000 before adding the pod.

I'd guess around 4,500, but all the pockets are a little small for my liking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back