Caribou Gear Tarp

Taxidermist Location

SherpaPhil

I am doing my first pronghorn hunt this fall in Wyoming and can't decide what I want to do for a taxidermist. I want to do a shoulder mount if I am lucky enough to take a nice buck. Should I leave it with a taxidermist in WY and then deal with/pay for shipping it home to Dallas, or do I keep everything on ice for several days to bring it back to Dallas and just have it mounted here. Thanks for the advice!

When I killed mine we took them to the processor in Wyoming and he froze the head and cape while we continued on with our elk hunt. When our elk hunt was over we headed back and picked up our antelope meat and head and cape. It stayed frozen with the dry ice till I got back to West Virginia and took it to my local taxi. I really didn't want to deal with the extra cost of shipping and the possibility that a taxi in Wyoming might screw up my trophy and not much I could do about it in WV.

We kept the head and cape in coolers on ice and brought home to local taxidermist. I'm sure there are some great guys out there in WY, but it would be hard to deal with them if there were any problems. If you have a local guy that you trust talk to him about it first and ask how he would like you to take care of the head and cape. They take up a lot of cooler space that's for sure!

Capes are cheap to ship, one thing to consider would be getting it caped and tanned in Wyoming, and have the cape shipped to your taxidermist. I'm sure it'd be more expensive than having everything done by the same guy, but you won't have to worry about the cape spoiling that way.

cape, flesh, turn, salt... take it with you. You don't want to get a cape wet, nor do you want it in a plastic bag. Putting it in a cooler with ice is asking for slippage.

I've been down the road of having to deal with a taxi out of state, to date it hasn't worked out too well, still missing a bunch of animals, and people vanish. At least if they're close I can check on them easier.

Good luck on your hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back