Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Taxidermist Issue

Foxtrot1

I dropped my tundra swan off with a shop that specializes in waterfowl. Its about 2 hrs away from home. They have had my swan for 2 1/2 yrs. they will not return emails or phone messages. From a local waterfowl forum, I learned they had an illness in the family 2 yrs ago. I feel that I have been more than patient on this issue, but my patience is wearing thin. The shop currently has my deposit and my swan. What are my options? I've thought about small claims court, but how can I recoup the loss of my only tundra swan, travel to NC, guide fees, etc.... If I can get the bird back frozen is it even any good? What would you guys do?

Is he still taking new customers?, still working? Call from different phone number and pose as new customer. Or certified letter giving him 30 days to contact you and work something out before you contact an attorney. In certified letter, mention that if it comes to legal action you will be attempting to recoup all expenses from cost of trip, etc. Not a big fan of lawyers, but sometimes that is what it takes. Even if it is a bluff, it should get him talking.

His voice mail says he is accepting new birds, and those are the only messages he is returning. I left a message that I had two new birds from my nephews phone, but he never returned a call. Good call on the certified letter, I was thinking about that. I was a little worried about strong arming him when he has my swan, but at this point I don't see an option

2.5 years is a long time, that coupled with his unwillingness to talk to you makes me think forcing the issue is the only option. Looks like at this point he has no intention of returning the bird to you.

Have a buddy of yours leave him a message saying he has a bird he'd like to drop off to be mounted. If he calls back arrange a time to meet and try to get your bird back...good luck......:cool:

I would go there whenever I had the time, such as scheduling another hunt, hit the links, mini vaction with family or something and pound on his door during daytime hours....If that don't work the options mentioned above are good.

I'd be surprised if he still has your bird after that long...probably did it and sold it to someone like another had posted on here with their big game mount. If he had it, I'm sure he would have returned your call or something. Might have to put Magnum PI on him.

My guess is, he still has it, just hasn't gotten around to it. 2.5 years is way too long to wait. If he sold it, he could be in some serious trouble. It is illegal to sell waterfowl, and from what I understand, the feds take that serious.

Had a local taxidermist here that I dropped a couple ducks off at. He did some work for me before that was great but took over two years to get back. This time it took longer and his website was taken down and the listed number was no longer working. The shop was an hour away so I never went by to check on it. Got a call from him after just over three years saying the work was done. Went and picked them up and they looked great.

I tell the story for a couple of reasons...one, your bird is probably just fine after three years. Two, my experience is that some taxidermists can be pretty flaky folks. It's a damn shame this guy does such good work. I'd be persistent and if you're that into the bird it's probably worth at least another trip or two out there -- chances are he's still got it (just a hunch!). Good luck!

Sent the certified letter last week. He signed for it in his shop Friday. Still no word from him. It sucks, this is the only tundra swan I've ever hunted. I feel really bad about losing such a beautiful bird. I hope it turns up, but at this point i am not very hopeful.

He signed for it on the 21st. My letter requested an update on the status of my mount within 30 days. No word yet. Looks like I am going to have to file a small claims suit to recover my deposit and bird

Is he part of any taxi assn?

Is he on http://www.taxidermy.net/? Maybe some pressure from his peers.

I knew a guy like that in CA. Lots of folks still use him because of his work quality, but there is something to be said for customer service.

Good luck on getting your swan back. I'm with LI, lots more patience than I'd have.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back