? on booking airline tickets..... Help

elkantlers

So I have never traveled using an airline. My family and I are going to Orlando Florida in May from Utah. What is the best way to book and airline and rental car? Together, Separate? What is the best site to use to book with? are there any tricks?

I have been watching Expedia and the prices fluctuate and now they say there are no rental cars available but if I look at just a rental car it shows I can book one.
I read that you should book about two months before the trip to get the best price but now I am getting nervous that what I want won't be there.

Any help or other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Don't know if Southwest flies out of SLC but check them as well. They are not on any of the travel sights like Expedia or travelocity. DO remember that if you plan on taking a lot of luggage that SW allows some free baggage where other airlines gouge.

My daughter swears by SW. Free bag check. Go the their website. She flies between SLC and E. coast.

If Southwest can get you there from SLC I wouldn't look at any other website. My wife and I fly quite regularly, and if we can use Southwest to get there then all other options are not even looked at. They are cheaper and a lot less hassle, just make sure you check in online 24hrs in advance to get to the head of the line to get on the plane and pick the seat you want.

Southwest is my top choice as well.

Definitely don't use cheaptickets.com. They've changed my flight to Montana 3 times, and their customer service is terrible.

We just got back from a week in Orlando yesterday. We checked both Expedia and Southwest. Ended up getting cheaper on Expedia but normally prefer Southwest. My brother-in-law who works for a major airline says the best day to book is usually Tuesday and around 2 months in advance.

For rental cars we always go through Costco travel site if you have a Costco membership.

SWA goes to Orlando. I am in Orlando this week and flew SWA.

SWA allows you two bags up to 50# each at no additional cost. You are not assigned seats, though, so one of you should pay extra to get priority seating so one person can board and save seats for the family to sit near each other. Otherwise, you may be scattered around the plane on the flight...but you will all have seats.

Southwest seems to get passengers on and off planes faster than other airlines and I think is because folks are not trying to save money lugging suitcases onto the plane which causes delays. The seats are wide enough for me and leg space is fine with me being 6 foot tall. When I fly other airlines, my knees hit the back of the seat in front and my shoulders get pinched which is painful for flights over 2 hours in length.

If your plans change, Southwest lets you move your flight. If the cost goes up, you pay more but no fee to change tickets. Other airlines charge a change fee as well as more if cost goes up. I routinely book a flight and then if price falls, rebook and have some money for another flight. If price goes up, I make no change obviously.

So if you book with SWA and the price goes down how rebook? do you have to cancel your tickets and then rebook or can you just change?

From what I am seeing is that SWA is a little more expensive that Expedia. Also, all SWA flights have at least one stop and maybe a plane change and Expedia does have a non-stop for around the same money. Am I missing something?

Book air and car separately.

For the air good advice on Southwest, but I also check kayak.com. kayak basically searches most airlines, you can search +- a day or two and multiple airports to find the best option. If you find flights for less than $300 roundtrip per person probably go ahead and book. Your cheapest option will be nonrefundable, so make sure your itinerary is set. Try to book through the actual airline website. Remember to factor in baggage costs, both ways, this is where Southwest is great.

For the car book early and book often. Car rental prices fluctuate wildly, but generally you're not bound by your reservation. So check prices every week or so, if you find a better deal, reserve it, then cancel the old one. Also search for these on kayak and book on the rental company site. Occasionally you can find good deals on hotwire.com, but with that you pay up front and it isn't refundable.

Good luck!

Check out southwest for sure I fly almost every week of the year and they are my favorite airline.

The wanna get away fares are the cheapest, the everyday fare allow refunds if needed. SPEND THE EXTRA $12 FOR EARLY BIRD CHECK IN. with no status best money spent

May want to check out there CC they are offering enough point for two free tickets currently(roughly depending on ticket costs).

They most likely will be cheaper but if not they offer a better experience for sure, fun easy going employees that will go out of their way to help you. The check in number is the greatest thing in the airline industy, dont have 50 people in a panic attack trying to budge in front of you to get on a plane becaue they cant listen to simple instructions

You should be able to make it to orlando with only one stop out of SLC.

For a vacation it sure is a lot of stress getting everything lined up. :D

I hope to get a day trip on the ocean set up, Maybe for shark. I was also looking at alligator but I don't know if I will be able to swing that. Other than that we will hit the beach, Sea world, Disney, Cape Canaveral, and see a MLB game. Whew, I am tired just thinking about it.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Do you mind playing outside the box? Try looking at Tampa as a destination. I often fly into Tampa because it is cheaper. Wanna really push the envelope? U-haul has rental pick-ups for $20 a day plus mileage, and they will give you a weekly or monthly rental. Yes, the stickers on the side look goofy but for half price....

For rental cars we always go through Costco travel site if you have a Costco membership.
Defintiely check into this if you have a membership! Though I thought that was a given in SLC... :D BOY and I rented a car from them for our AZ trip. $166 for a whole week, unlimited mileage. Pig hunted out of a Jetta! :hump:

Just a few tips on having traveled by air with kids. Don't let price and price alone determine your flights. Long layovers can become nightmares with children. I'd gladly pay a bit more for a direct flight, shorter layover, less actual travel time when going with my kids. Bring lots of snacks and entertainment for them. If you allow them to chew gum, it's not a bad idea to give them a piece upon descent. Helps their ears pop and keeps them more comfortable with less chance of freaking out. If one your kids are less than 2 they can ride on your lap, however the closer they are to that age the more you might consider buying them their own seat. You might even get the person seated in front of you to help pay for it. ;)

Don't stress too much. Find a flight that meets your time frame for your price range, pay for it and quit looking. Sure I like to save a buck as much as the next guy, but one can take a lot of fun out of the planning trying to save what amounts to the price of one dinner.

Last edited:
Also, all SWA flights have at least one stop and maybe a plane change and Expedia does have a non-stop for around the same money.

I always choose non-stop, if it's close money wise. It means less time in the airport system, and less chance of lost luggage.

Check kayak.com they compile all the deal sites and the airlines together plus you can add a car and hotel if you want at the end.

;)IMO the easiest way to book hands down.

I book quite a bit of travel both paid and award. Check kayak.com as others have mention. The best site for almost all airlines. Southwest will not show up there so go directly to their site. SW is a different type of airline than the majors but good. Boarding is a different in that you aren’t assigned seats..you are assigned zones. Either pay the early boarding fee to ensure you sit with your family or make sure you check in for your flight exactly 24 hours before (*and I mean right on the minute) to ensure you are in you are in the early zone.

Right now SW is offering 2500 points just for signing up with their frequent flyer program…this is pretty good. In addition, their credit card through chase is offering 50K points for signing up and spending a couple thousand on the card in a few months. This would get you quite a bit of value towards your trip. Obviously this approach isn’t for everyone…I’ve just been spoiled traveling without paying for flights and hotels.

Book rental car separate. Again try kayak and see what’s there. Autoslash can be good but has been going down hill. Find out if your car insurance ids primary for rentals. If not I’d suggest finding some (as opposed to buying it). If a you have any American express credit cards you can enroll the card in their primary insurance program. You’ll pay $24 per rental, just use that card to pay. You don’t want to be stuck with just secondary insurance should you have a fender bender. Not only will you get hit for the repairs they will charge you for “loss of use” too.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back