Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Upland Bird Dog

UWYOshooter

Just throwing this out there, But I am in the market for another bird dog. All around dog prefered but an upland primary dog fits the bill. Anyone selling some pups in Wyo/Mt/Sd/Nd?

I got my pup from Bone Point Kennels in Oregon. I know that's outside the area you listed, but I've been very happy with him.

I picked up a weimador pup in January out of mt and he is showing great signs and is a papered mix through the akc. Both parents are hunting dogs of good blood and no known hereditary diseases. Are you looking for a male or female? The litter turned out chocolate colored. What is your budget looking like?

I'm with you. I just lost my last Wirehaired Pointing Griffon and really miss the breed after having them for 23 years. I'm looking for another Griffon. Hope that you find a dog that you like and gives joy.

good luck to all
the dog

You've never hunted birds till you've hunted with an ugly dog. Wire-haired pointing griffon. Unfortunately you can't just go out and pick one up at the local dog store. A lot of irresponsible breeding going on out there that you have to wade through to find a good hunting line. Some folks are breeding show dogs and passing them off as hunting dogs. The show dogs will hunt, but they tend to be big and have soft coats.

My brother keeps up on the breed and could point you in a good direction.

Partial to the versatile breeds. I would consider a Brit, GSP, or GWP if I got another pup. If you can get the pedigree........let the sire of the sire be the grandsire of the dam on the dam's side. Of course that doesn't mean a hill of beans if the background isn't a hunting background.

Partial to the versatile breeds.

I had to check out what a "versatile" breed is. My hunting partner didn't make the list, but I noticed a few breeds that I would like to see chase MT waterfowl late season. Not ready to throw away my upland pointing ice breaker quite yet. :D Just defending a little. Best of luck finding your new hunting partner WYO.

Mine suck at hunting, but they do love floating in the pool.

94DE2F89-279C-49EE-98A6-D211F1CE1276-6472-000004BFEE25AC08.jpg

Trieven isn't too far from you.

I had to check out what a "versatile" breed is. My hunting partner didn't make the list, but I noticed a few breeds that I would like to see chase MT waterfowl late season. Not ready to throw away my upland pointing ice breaker quite yet. :D Just defending a little. Best of luck finding your new hunting partner WYO.

MTMILLER, So your lab is a pointer too? I got mine from Snake River Pointing Labs in Idaho. I also looked at the Trieven pups in WY and was favorably impressed.

Here's my "pointer" working in a blizzard:

N100_1818.jpg

Let me ship this guy to you. My wife has to use an inhaler nightly and the nebulizer in the morning to breath and my son had to have allergy testing and come back allergic to dogs :(

I hate to but I have to get rid of him

My current dog is a lab. I love the lab personality and willingness to please.

If I were after a primary upland dog, a lab wouldn't be it.

To me, the best upland dog I've seen and owned are GSP's. I miss them. Bonnie and Clyde will always be THE hunting dogs of my lifetime.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Let me ship this guy to you. My wife has to use an inhaler nightly and the nebulizer in the morning to breath and my son had to have allergy testing and come back allergic to dogs :(

I'll take him! ;) Sorry to hear you have to part ways. That stinks.

WV Hunter,

Good looking pup. If you can't find a good home for the dog, zip me a PM. I've been known to have a soft spot for that breed.

I agree with you. Having one of the versatile breeds now, he still has a lot to live up to compared to what I got out of my now 13-year old lab. She did it all from the time she was a pup. Ducks, pheasants, chukar, huns, sage grouse, quail and one time a live muskrat!! :D

I appreciate the offers on Buster. He's such a cool looking dog. A total babe magnet. I would literally have women turn their cars around and pull over to talk with me when I was walking him. I've had plenty of offers to buy him. Bad news for us is the allergies. My wife has mild allergies/asthma and would go thru an inhaler once a year. Since getting Buster in Novermber she has gone thru 3 inhalers and has had to resort to the nebulizer this week. We've vacuumed daily along with other precautions. My sons nose has ran like a faucet since we got him as well and he breaks out in hives when he hugs on him.

A little good news though. I went to pay my contractor for some work his equipment operator did for me last year and had Buster with me. The operator was there and had been looking for a new bird dog. His English setter had died about a year ago at 17 and he's been looking for a new dog. He fell in love with Buster. He has 600 acres and loves to bird hunt. He's retiring this year, not married and no kids and plans to train and hunt Buster. A little more good news is that he only lives 15 minutes away and invited me to come hunt anytime. He also insisted on paying me some money to help recoup the money I had in him. I couldn't ask for a better turn out. Work is already boring without him here tearing up everything and chasing the secretaries fu-fu DustinF type dog. :D :(

Guess I would consider the versatile breeds to be what NAVHDA offers tests for. Not a thing wrong with Labs or Setters or Pointers either, but of those 3 I would consider the lab much more "versatile".

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back