Which way to skin?? Shoulder mount vs full body

1_pointer

Next month I'm heading out after javelina. Should I luck into one, I'd like to get it mounted. However, I am undecided if I want a shoulder mount or a full body mount. Is there a way to skin/cape it so that I still have the option of either once I decide?

I would go for a full body mount if you have a little extra cash. They're small enough to put anywhere in your house. As far as the skinning goes, I would check out YouTube and Google. YouTube has helped me out but you have to filter through to find a video by someone who actually knows what they're doing.

Any of the cuts should be just fine - dorsal, ventral or tube. Ventral is probably the easiest in the field. If you dorsal cut it, be mindful of the gland in it's back. You do not want to slice through that special little piece of nastiness.

You can belly or dorsal cut them for either mount. However, it's best to ask your taxi what they prefer. Good huntin'

Also I picked up a piece of cactus or at least I think it's cactus for my life size mount after I was successful.

Thanks for the pics! I don't really have a taxidermist, as I generally don't shoot stuff worth mounting! :D Worse case scenario I'll have to find one to deal with what I do... :eek: Right now I'm thinking belly as that's what I'm most used to.

Thanks for all the advice/info!

I'm sure however you do it you won't have a problem getting someone to mount it for you. Tough economy! Your welcome buddy. Good luck!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back