Bull Elk mounting process

LuckyMike

One of my main projects this winter is to mount up my son's bull elk which he took last fall in the Montana archery season. I used to be a part time taxidermist and mounted commercially for other people. However, I retired from doing business about ten years ago. Currently I mount only for myself and occasionally for members of the family. I am creating this thread as a "show and tell" to share with you what goes into a full shoulder elk mount.

After recieving the tanned elk cape and the foam form I ordered based on measurements around the neck and from the corner of the eye to the end of the nose, I soaked up the hide in room temperature water, drained it and did a trial fit on the form.
m2.JPG
m1.JPG

After determining that the form was basically OK and knowing I could modify it to create a perfect fit for the cape, I attached the skull cap and antlers. These were fastened to the form with large wood screws anchored into the block of wood imbedded in the foam form.
m3.JPG

We then took the form with antlers attached over to my son's house and checked the clearances on an upper wall he wants to hang the finished mount on. It fit! our little test also verified we could get the finished mount into his house and out of mine. Note that I could not get it out of my little shop in my walkout basement. So, I'll have to mount it in the rec room in my basement. Good to know ahead of time!
image.jpeg

Once I was certain everything was a go with the form and the spot he was going to hang the mount, I was ready to modify the form by beefing up the middle section of the neck.
fix.JPG

I used foam in the liquid state and mixed the resin and catalyst in small amounts to over fill the area I wanted to expand. Then once the foam had hardened I carved it to the approximate size and shape I wanted. The patch was finished by rasping and sanding to achieve the contours and smoothness desired. The next step was to try the cape on again. It very nearly fit with that first try. With just a little more rasping and sanding it was ready. I moved my operation into the rec room. With the form attached to a stand I then attached the skull plate and antlers with some minor adjustments to assure that I had proper symmetry and angles were correct.

Attachments

• ready.JPG
    ready.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 1,582
Have you ever drilled out the antlers and put them on individual rods so they can be taken off the mount to easily go through doorways? That's how the Cody taxidermist did the 357 3/8" bull my buddy shot in 2010 and it makes it much easier on an elk to move them around. That's just something I thought I'd mention that can be done if someone has space problems.

Have you ever drilled out the antlers and put them on individual rods so they can be taken off the mount to easily go through doorways? That's how the Cody taxidermist did the 357 3/8" bull my buddy shot in 2010 and it makes it much easier on an elk to move them around. That's just something I thought I'd mention that can be done if someone has space problems.

Yes, detachable antlers is definitely an option.

Great bull! I really like the form, is it a semi-sneek with a turn?

Yes, it's a semi sneak with an offset to the elk's right and a slight turn to the left. The offset to the right means the elk's shoulders are aligned as if he is going to his right but then his head is turned slightly to his left. This form was advertised as "NEW." I like it too.

Yes, it's a semi sneak with an offset to the elk's right and a slight turn to the left. The offset to the right means the elk's shoulders are aligned as if he is going to his right but then his head is turned slightly to his left. This form was advertised as "NEW." I like it too.

Thanks, who makes it? I am trying to pick out a form for a bull from last fall, that one is the one I want.

I am excited for this to continue. I have always though it would be awesome to be able to learn taxidermy and do my own animals. If I had the time I would probably try it. That and my lack of any type of artistic talent keeps me from trying. lol

angle.JPG
I don't know if this shows up very well. What I'm doing in this picture is an important step to assure that the skull cap and antlers are attached accurately. By that I mean, proper angle relative to the bridge of the nose. I'm holding the piece that was cut off the skull cap before it was attached to the form. I've lined up the saw cut with the piece that is attached and then sighting across the bridge of the nose to assure the piece in my hand is parallel with the top line of the nose on the form.

Once this angle is verified. Which it is now. I'm ready to sculpture in the gaps between the form and the skull cap with paper mache'.

Last edited:
Here is the top of the head area of the mount with the missing soft tissue replaced by paper mache' putty. When it dries (overnight) I'll sand the surface to smooth it up before putting the cape on.
mache'.JPG

I'd be pretty nervous about mounting a bull. Heck, I'm nervous using cow calls during the rut because I don't want them mounting me. :cool: Smartassery aside, really cool project to take on for your son's bull.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back