WTB Plotmaster suitable for ATV use.

rhomas

Banned
I'd really like to find a used plotmaster, in decent working condition....CHEAP! I can't afford the prices I've found on e-bay and at dealerships.

You should really just look into finding a good used wide path roto-tiller. Most seeds can then be broadcast spread and dragged in with an old bed spring behind the ATV. I have seen the plotmasters in action, I was not impressed that much if the solid was hard, dry, or full of dead vegetation

I'm with schmalts. The plotmasters sound good, but typically are not really good at anything, just mediocre at everything. There are some good all in one type equipment, but they cost $10,000+. Check out the stone buriers on this site - http://www.butlerent.com/

I just can't justify the cost. I disc, then plant then depending on how I planted I run a cultipacker type implement over it. Total cost of all the equipment I use is less than $1,500, it just takes 3 passes instead of 1 pass.

Are you guys putting plots in with just ATVs? If so how many acres?

I have close to 2 acres I'd like to put in on my place and can't decide if I should get a UTV or a tractor. Old, strong running, in good condition small tractors can be had here for much less than a UTV. Though I know I'd use the UTV more the rest of the time.

I have a tiller for my tractor. I plant less than an acre now but have done as much as 2 acres for others. I still put the seed in with a broadcast spreader, sometimes the little hand crank style and drag a bedspring over it to cover the seed. Food plots are a good supplement for the deer but I really feel an easier route is to just plant an apple orchard. One time and your done.

I'm thinking of doing some of that as well, but with persimmons. I can get 100 of them for $40 from the state nursery.

Which ever I go with I figure if I have a sprayer, spreader, and cultipacker I could get most of it done. Something to break the ground, a disc, spring harrow, tiller, etc would be icing on the cake and allow more options. A bush hog or mower would be handy, but for the sizes I'm talking about a string trimmer would work. Really getting into plotting is something I think I'd like, I just keep spending money going out of state instead...

don't even need the cultipacker. once you spread the seed, run the seed over with the utv or tractor to bury them. you can get implements for the utv's that will get the job done, also. stay away from the single bottom plow. not worth it. the disc set up works well. I use the hand crank to put out the seed. lil exercise never hurts. big issue, getting water close so you can get the seeds started. trailer, 100 gallon water tank, sump pump, garden hose, and a generator solve that problem.

You should really just look into finding a good used wide path roto-tiller. Most seeds can then be broadcast spread and dragged in with an old bed spring behind the ATV. I have seen the plotmasters in action, I was not impressed that much if the solid was hard, dry, or full of dead vegetation
I agree with schmalts..I have an extensive background in food plots and they are marginal at best...tilling works good but then you start another problem...weed control and herbicides are expensive to say the least.What kind of plot are you considering? How big? Unless your willing to put in a LOT of work to maintain them Id try to work out a deal with a local farmer for the use of his equipment.....:cool:.

Really getting into plotting is something I think I'd like,

That is why I do it. I really dont hunt over them and feel they don't do a whole lot where I am because of all the farms around me but what is does do is get me out and have fun doing something on my own land. I understand that food plots work great in the south where there is not as much farm land but in WI it is not as effective as some might think. Apple trees work far better because they offer a food that the deer do not already have in hundreds of acres right across the fence or road. There is something about planting, pruning and fertilizing that gives you some satisfaction, i guess that is why farmers are farmers:D
As far as getting a local farmer to plant it, if his tractor is able to get into where you would put a plot you really need to think if it is worth it anyway, or think about letting the farmer do all the work for free and let him plant and harvest what is on it instead of having to lease land. With the poor weather for farming in WI the last couple years dairy farmers would JUMP on any land they could plant anything they could feed to cows. This year near my land the poor guys did not get corn in until the fourth of july!

I am hoping to have my bushhogging finished up this week and start disking this coming weekend. I have a Manindra 4510, 6' Bushhog, 6 1/2' Disk and a 6' JD Wheat Drill converted to 3 point attachment. I bought a Grapple Bucket for the tractor and it really does a good job of clearing up fallen trees and such.
Here is what I plan to plant, 500# of Wheat, 100% of Winter Peas, 50# of Rape and I bought a 50# sack of Purple Top Turnips, so I may just eat turnip greens and cornbread but some backstrap would be nice too! Down in the woods along the crrek stands I have a Weedeater with the different attachments like chainsaw and blower and I am picking up the Mini Tiller for it so I can plant Rye and Radishes along the creek bow stands. John

I missed the part about the ATV. I think as heavy as a disc as you can get with as many passes as it takes is the way to go with an ATV. Then broadcast the seed then pack it somehow. Either by pulling something behind you or something like that.

I have a 45 hp Kubota and use a 7' disc then either broadcast or pull a 14' wheat drill. I have a cultipacker type thing that I pull behind the broadcast spreader that helps firm up the seedbed if I'm broadcasting.

I've planted as much as 30 acres before. Generally I do about 10.

You guys are giving me 'tractor envy'! ;) My problem is I have an old tractor budget but new tractor mechanical skills! My FIL keeps trying to talk me into buying his 9N, but I think I want something with 4WD. Maybe I'll just use my old truck! :D

Schmaltz- I agree. I bought land to have fun with and for me plotting would be fun. It also might help draw in some deer where my place is at as there isn't really all that much crop ground (for IN anyway) in the area. Heck, I don't have any row crops within 1/2mile of the place and all the hay is grass hay. Though it's too late for this year, I'm going to try some brassical plots next year using a no-till method. 3 sprayings, broadcast the seed and cultipack if I can get my hands on one. I've pissed away more money and time than this will take in a bar before. Plus, I think it'll be fun and a good learning experience for my two boys.

Pointer, Remember you always have spring plots! LOL Around here you can rent a tractor for the weekend for about what a monthly payment would be. I use mine all around the house and shop, once you have a front end loader you will never do without one. The A/C and CD player are nice too! ;) John

I plant between two and three acres of food plots. I do have a Massey Ferguson 210, disk harrow, bush hog, and fertilizer spreader. But I also have a disk harrow, spray rig, and two spreaders for my Yamaha Kodiac 400. What I'm really looking for is a chisel plow, rotary tiller, and roller to assist in using the 4-wheeler. The Massey is a family tractor, and my nephew uses it for mowing pastures, so the bush hog is always hooked up to it. It's difficult for me due to my eyesight and my Parkinson's to disconnect and reconnect implements to the three point hitch; whereas, hooking things up to the Yamaha is a simple matter of connecting to the trailer ball. Also, with my disk harrow and the 4-wheeler, it's difficult to break the ground without making a half dozen trips back and forth, which also means stopping often and cranking the wheels down and then back up in order to cut some of the areas where I plant.

Since I'm on a fixed and very limited income, I can't afford to purchase individual implements, especially down here, where farm equipment brings premium prices. I've managed to get bye for the last 13 years with what I've got, but after this year's rain and having all of my plots washed away, I really need to do some major overhauls on these plots in order to get them productive again.

BTW, I plant soybeans, wheat, oats, triticale, sunflowers, sorghum, turnips, millet, and started this year with beets and forage radishes. I will also mix in Austrian peas and cow peas, depending on whether I'm planting in the spring or fall. I like to plant stips of various crops on most of my plots, but will usually plant a big mix of everything on a couple of the smaller plots.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

I too would like an all in one implement, but one thing I've always noticed about them is they ain't cheap! Good luck on your search, I'll pass along info if I find anything. I like the idea of the Dr. Roto-hog, but they aren't cheap either and I've never seen an ad for a used one.

FWIW, it sounds like your a cutlipacker away from having all the equipment to do what a plotmaster does. Would just adding one of them work? They can be found or built relatively inexpensively.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back