Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Go pro no good for distance

devon deer

Hi All,
I hope you can see this video, filmed with my Go Pro 2 and head mount.
It was more of an experiment really, I waited for some red stags to get into a shootable position.
Problem 1 was the butler creek cover was in the way (I didn't realise that at the time) and the 2nd problem (as I expected) was its just useless for distance, the red deer stags (they look like small bull elk) look miles away but in fact were only 100 yards!
I edited the video, they actually took 45 minutes before I could get a safe shot, I was also being screwed by the wind direction.
It ran off and went over the brow of the hill, it was dead but just didn't realise it, bullet obliterated the heart.
Click on the picture for video

Cheers
Richard

Last edited:
Thing the scope cover is the bigger issue, but yeah the go pro's do not do well for capturing things at a distance. Cool idea though.

we found that out also, (about objects in the distance) but, the good thing is you can really get a handle on the little things we are told to pay attention to, breathing, moving, following through with the shot, those things can be the devil in the detail. Great try, and Great success!

That was pretty interesting! Cheers for sharing the video and your experience.

I picked up a"Contour Roam2" Waterproof HD action camera.

img_630343_contour-roam2-helmet-mounted-action-camera-review.jpg

(On sale from $199 to $99 currently at Best Buy for any interested.)

Picked up a 16gb micro sd card and the outdoor mounts kit.

I am hoping to use a quick release mount attachment on my shoulder strap. for this year's rifle hunt.

Anyone have? Tips on video recording hunts if solo?

Back