PEAX Equipment

Vortex Razor 11-33

Baerman

Anyone have any insight on this scope? I have an opportunity to pick up any Vortex spotter and the guy selling them actually suggested the smaller of the three for it's packability. Supposedly it's becoming the hot item with sheep guides. I'm wondering if it's hot because they already have spotters with big glass.

I actually just ordered the little 50mm Razor a couple days ago, should get it this week. Supposedly it's the top 50mm spotter out there just edging out the Nikon. I'm not an optics expert but I can let you know what I think when I get it this week.

I got to play with it quite a bit and it is a lot of spotter in a compact package. I don't think you can do much better in the 25oz, sub 12" OAL category.

The only limitation I see is if you really need to count rings on a sheep or other very precise use it may handicap you a bit compared to a 20-60x60 or 80mm.

So what would you say the effective range of distance would be for it for judging deer, goats, or elk? I don't really have any experience with spotters, and I'm trying to figure out what I really need for magnification. Living in eastern MT now you sure can see a long way! I like the size of the compacts and figure if I can't tell what a critter is like with 30x magnification, I'm not going to be able to get to it anyways.

So what would you say the effective range of distance would be for it for judging deer, goats, or elk? I don't really have any experience with spotters, and I'm trying to figure out what I really need for magnification. Living in eastern MT now you sure can see a long way! I like the size of the compacts and figure if I can't tell what a critter is like with 30x magnification, I'm not going to be able to get to it anyways.

From what I've read 3 miles is about what it's good for. I don't believe that is for picking apart specifics of antlers at that distance just more of a "is it a shooter and is it big or not?" type question. Again that is just what I've read.

Vortex is a smart way to spend your money on optics. The compact obviously has size advantages, it will also be easier on the eye with extended use. The amount of light actually getting to your eye is greater with the compacts and will focus sharper easier. You will wish for the higher magnification all the time.

it will also be easier on the eye with extended use. The amount of light actually getting to your eye is greater with the compacts.

I'm not being a smart ass here, but a 50mm objective at 33x has an exit pupil of 1.51. A 60mm objective at 40x has an exit pupil of 1.5.

A thought

For my first quality scope- This is what I got a couple months ago and am happy with it. I looked long and hard at getting a 50mm spotter ( the new Vortex model and the Nikon ED 50). In fact when I ordered this one, I also ordered the Nikon ED 50 model, but ended up returning that one.

http://m.adorama.com/newui/search.a...ride=ADORAMA&MerchantData=20121214203210249pr

And the price on the one above is way marked down; it used to be priced much higher. Not as good as the price Cabelas had them for briefly a couple weeks ago- but still a super price.

I picked this one because it has been around for a long time and is tried and true. It has gotten good reviews for years and it did not disappoint.

I wanted a good clear scope that did not weigh a ton, and knew in advance that I did not want to lug around a 82 or 85mm scope.

The Nikon 60 mm ED III with the 20-60 zoom straight model weighs in at 43 oz on my scale. So a bit over a pound more than the 25 oz Vortex one. So not too bad. The Nikon ED 50 only weighs about 21 oz with the zoom- so pretty darn light.

When I tested the optics between the Nikon 60 and the 50 mm- to my eyes the 60 mm fieldscope handily shined over the 50 ED. And the Nikon ED 50 is a nice scope and very well thought of. But it is light for a reason- that little ED 50 has a made in China plastic/ polymer body, that is not near as stout as the Nikon Fieldscope models.

I have not looked at the Vortex 50mm model, but I bet it would be quite nice and would compete well with the Nikon 50ED in a hd to hd test. But..... I would be willing to bet that a 60mm scope like the Nikon Fieldscope ( if your willing to carry an extra pound) would smoke that 50mm one. And you would have a higher magnification range if needed.

Just my 2c- and maybe worth about that ;^)

I'm not being a smart ass here, but a 50mm objective at 33x has an exit pupil of 1.51. A 60mm objective at 40x has an exit pupil of 1.5.

This is true. To clarify his point, objective lens / magnification = exit column or the column of light that reaches your eye measured in mm's. The larger the better, this number changes with variable mag optics.

To clarify my point, the size up from the Razor compact (11-33x50) is the 16-48x65. The compacts column range is from 4.54 - 1.51 while the "mid" size is from 4.06 - 1.35. In that regard, the compact would be easier on the eye as it won't strain as much for light. Again, this changes with magnification so there is overlap within ranges. However, most people use two magnifications on their scopes; high and low.

To further complicate things; the compact image will technically be brighter. The high magnification will make the image appear closer and therefore trick your mind into seeing it as brighter.

I guess I should note that I carry a mid size scope. My previous post may indicate that I prefer the compacts but as Stephen points out the larger objective is nice. They have a bigger field of view, aren't as shakey, and accommodate the higher magnifications. As I previously stated, you will want and appreciate the higher magnifications.

I guess I should note that I carry a mid size scope. My previous post may indicate that I prefer the compacts but as Stephen points out the larger objective is nice. They have a bigger field of view, aren't as shakey, and accommodate the higher magnifications. As I previously stated, you will want and appreciate the higher magnifications.

I'm with you. 12-40x60mm HD Leupold is my poison. Picture includes the cover and tripod mount in ounces.

8E0F48F5-3A27-4D60-86C2-12E1D5F65E03-21206-00001446B9A239C4.jpg

I'm with you. 12-40x60mm HD Leupold is my poison. Picture includes the cover and tripod mount in ounces.

8E0F48F5-3A27-4D60-86C2-12E1D5F65E03-21206-00001446B9A239C4.jpg

Those Leupold 60mm compact HD spotters are very nice scopes. They are a tried and true model that is well tested and has a great deserved reputation. Plus- They are made in the USA. Which is a GOOD thing. In fact I almost felt a bit guilty about going with the Japanese made Nikon over the made in Oregon Leupold. Even though I have a lot of Leupold products and love the company, the Nikon spotter worked better for what I wanted this time around.

But I did draw the line at buying the Chinese made spotters.

Last edited:
Those Leupold 60mm compact HD spotters are very nice scopes. They are a tried and true model that is well tested and has a great deserved reputation. Plus- They are made in the USA. Which is a GOOD thing. In fact I almost felt a bit guilty about going with the Japanese made Nikon over the made in Oregon Leupold. Even though I have a lot of Leupold products and love the company, the Nikon spotter worked better for what I wanted this time around.

But I did draw the line at buying the Chinese made spotters.

Not all of the parts in Leupold optics are made in the USA actually, they use to be but not anymore, I know some of the glass is made overseas. But were Vortex beats Leupold is in their warranty. I was actually getting ready to buy a Kenai about 2 weeks ago and wanted to be clear on their warranty so I called Leupold and spoke to a rep, and it's a limited lifetime, nontranserrable warranty vs Vortex's unlmited, no fault, transferrable lifetime warranty.

Not all of the parts in Leupold optics are made in the USA actually, they use to be but not anymore, I know some of the glass is made overseas. But were Vortex beats Leupold is in their warranty. I was actually getting ready to buy a Kenai about 2 weeks ago and wanted to be clear on their warranty so I called Leupold and spoke to a rep, and it's a limited lifetime, nontranserrable warranty vs Vortex's unlmited, no fault, transferrable lifetime warranty.

This is hard to beat and part of the reason I'm interested in Vortex. I put a Viper HSLR on my last two rifles and absolutely love the rifle scope. My wife has a Leupold Vari X III and I tend to slightly lean towards the Vortex but they are close in comparison. The warranty definitely make Vortex the better buy though.

I also ordered my most recent Vortex Viper HSLR from Cabelas. Cabelas put it on a 12 week back order. I called Vortex asking why and they shipped it the next day. I had it the same week AND they threw in some other goodies to boot! Customer service is #1 at Vortex.

Vortex and Leupold are two great American companies. Leupold as been around a LONG time and has a overall stellar reputation for their products and CS. Vortex is also a very good company that is a bit newer and makes great products and has wonderful warranties. It could be argued that these 2 companies are best sports optic companies today that are American owned.

As to Leupold's warranty - it is excellent, and it is transferable in actual practice regardless of what is said. Just 2 years ago I bought a 90's made Gold Ring 7x30 IF porro binocular off the big auction site, and when I got it it had some problems. Called Leupold and they said they have a lifetime warranty and send them up. I told them that I was not the original owner, and they said that does not matter. Long story short- I got them back 5 days after sending them out. I figured they must have had them for 2 days max. Got them back cleaned, fixed and just perfect. I had no paper work (receipt, etc.) and they took exceptional care of me. Another time 3 years ago I sent in a like new Green Ring Leupold Cascade porro ( also used 2nd owner, and no receipt ) that had a infinity focus issue. 2 weeks later I received a brand New Cascade porro binocular.

There are lots of stories just like my 2 above of people having great CS experience from Leupold. BTW- even though I have owned Leupold products for years- these 2 times were my only service experience with Leupold. So Leupold does not get their nose bloodied in the CS arena, and they can hold their head high as to how they take care of customers.

I have also owned vortex products and I personally think they are a great company.

As far as the made in USA part with Leupold products- yes they may have some products with the Made in USA label that have some foreign made parts in them (glass etc). But they (Leupold) follow the guidelines set out to be able to say that a product is USA made.

I can guarantee that the Made in USA rifle scopes and spotters are made by USA workers here in Oregon. People who pay taxes here, live here and buy products from other American people and help the local economy.

I wish I could say the same about the Chinese people putting together the Vortex Razor spotting scope line. And even though I did by a Japanese made spotter, I could not go through with buying a 65mm Razor spotter when I found out that it and the 50mm were being made in China. And now the 85's have moved to China also. I guess I am not that progressive yet; I am just not there. Even though it seems as if everything else is.

Last edited:
A very large portion of optics brands regardless if "made in USA" or not source the glass from China. Even Nikon in Japan and Minox and other German companies are sourcing from China. Good or bad, just don't get duped into thinking that if you buy a product that says Germany on it that it was made there. China is the latest players in the market with the newest equipment and were taught by the best when they were used to outsource glass from the Japanese and Germans. The only thing China cannot do 100% as good as the Germans and Japs is hold a tolerance on the coating process. I had a long discussion with a manufacture and he said that the biggest problem was the experience of the coating machine operators and even a bigger problem was the unstable power source. The power source, and humidity needs to be very steady to get things perfect in the coating application and the power source in China is a nightmare. But in the end, we are talking about much less than 1% in light transmission per element.
As far as the 50mm spotters, I don't know if I would go that route before I would put a high end large objective scope with high magnification on my rifle instead. It may not be as easy to hold steady and pan around as a spotter but if it really comes down to weight a larger scope and no spotter is less poundage than a scope and a compact spotter. If i think 60mm for a spotter is too heavy, I will go without.
On another note, some of the Chinese rifle scopes are getting very good due to the management from outside interests. I know some of the better scopes are made in the same factory and they know that they can make glass but do not have the precise machining capabilities to make the erector screws tight enough so they buy those.... from Japan. Talk about going full circle.

Last edited:
Very true Schmalts, what a lot of people don't realize is "Made in America" isn't always 100% made in America. I think(not sure on this) the law states that the final product must be assembled in the U.S. and 50% of the materials must be made in the U.S for a product to receive the "Made in America" label. And as you said a lot of German and Japanese glass is has parts from China. It is what it is, I personally don't find anything wrong w/it. Would I like to buy 100% American? Sure but that's not an easy thing to do any more.

As far as a 50mm spotter goes, it's kind of hard to put a rifle scope on a bow which is were this spotter will come in really nice I think and I don't know that I'd want to be glassing for a long period of time w/my rifle anyway. Also will be nice for early season scouting were you just want to look over the area. In the end it's all personal preference and dependent on the area you hunt I guess.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back