Taxidermist grace period ?

Trigger50

How much of a grace period should I give my taxidermist ? I know that taxidermists HATE being pestered @ getting mounts done. However, the taxidermist doing my 1st mule deer shoulder mount said, that it would be done by May 1st & its now June 18th. Is it typical for them to run this far overtime?

My one and only full-body bighorn sheep took 18 months. I made monthly visits or phone call. Maybe why it took so long, but it turned out great. And I told him to take his time when I dropped the sheep off.

Depends how good your taxi is... my bear took 29s months and my kansas whitetail is at 19 months and no word. He used to be quick but since retiring things slowed down... the thing is, his work is second to none. I may move on now, but he was always worth the extra time prior to the last couple years.

My last deer shoulder mount was dropped off in Oct and picked up the following Sept. Same taxi has my 12 deer, but he was much busier this year so I'll just wait.

My last shoulder mount ran over by 2 years, clearly he is now my former taxidermist.

How late in the season you drop off your head will impact turn around time at the tannery. 9 months is quick, 1 yr is standard, 16 months is getting tiresome for a deer to get back. At that point their work or price had better be something a little extra special.

I guess it depends on how busy he is and how many guys he has working for him. I would certainly give him a call and just ask for an update on the expected work he has agreed to do. Taxidermists do seem to be a 'little prickly' at times, but it doesn't hurt to have a good relationship with them and not be just some guy who drops off a mount and expects it finished on time (not saying you are of course). All the best with it, hope the mount turns out good for you.

In many instances the long lead times from taxis are due to the tannery rather than the taxi. A good portion of taxis do not tan there own hides but rather send them off to tanneries. One of the larger and more popular tanneries is the wildlife gallery out of Michigan I believe. The tanneries can be what takes so long. They have expedited service with some of the larger taxidermy studios that bring them huge business. Their hides get done first then they move on to the smaller shops. I had this happen the first time I took an elk cape to a local taxi to get tanned so I could mount it myself. It took a year just to get it back from the tannery.

If you still owe him money, you could just stop by to make a payment. I'm sure he wouldn't mind you stopping by if your leaving some cash. Plus as with most things in life money talks, and I wouldn't be surprised if your name goes to the top of the list if your all paid up.

I would take Ultrahunters advise stop by pay him some money and while there check on your mount. That is how I have always approached this over the years and a normal turn around on a deer does average 8 months or so, but it all depends on a lot of things how busy the guys is, does he do it full time, when he received your work, ect. ect. I always enjoy looking at the other trophies while in the shop also just try not to slow him down too much..;)

If you still owe him money, you could just stop by to make a payment. I'm sure he wouldn't mind you stopping by if your leaving some cash. Plus as with most things in life money talks, and I wouldn't be surprised if your name goes to the top of the list if your all paid up.

I wouldn't give them more than 50%, and surely wouldn't pay in full.

I've yet to have a taxidermist follow through on delivery time. + 6 months from promised date seem to be about the norm. They all seem to be more interested in getting more work, than running the business and doing the work. The guy I've been using the last couple years does great work, but still on the same time schedule. I'm ok with it, he says 9 months I know it will be 15 or more... He's older and likes to spend time fishing and hunting with his family. I'm in no rush, and neither is he.

I would call him and get an update. Make sure you keep all receipts and keep a journal of time spent contacting him. I was phucked over by a taxidermist once... Ron Newman is his name, owns Colorado Trophy Taxidermy in Colorado Springs. He's been fired from just about every shop he worked at since he left NJ. He won't return phone calls, emails, etc. I would call him about every other month to get an update, after the 9 month delivery date came and went... this went on for 2-3 years then he vanished.. He changed his phone number more times that I can remember, moved all over the place. Never followed through on delivery of anything. My trophy has probably been sold already anyway. he came highly recommended by members of SCI who used him for African work, I checked numerous references, etc. The guy turned out to be a low life POS. He screwed over numerous people, took their trophies and deposits and disappeared. I also paid him in advance... Not only out $1400, but also lost a giant animal.

Its my own dam fault for not keeping records. Never will I use a taxidermist out of state, nor will I do work without some sort of written contact. If the taxidermist is worth a chit, he'll have good records and likely have some sort of contract. Make SURE you have records of receipt from the taxidermist at a minimum. You'll need it if you have to get a lawyer involved.

Also used a guy in Bozeman for a bear rug, took him over 2 years to get it done. I called him monthly after his delivery date came and went, and the last time called him everything but nice, 4 months later the rug was finally done. Buddy gave him a bear 4 years ago and still hasn't got it back.

Welcome to the taxidermy world... You're better off going with euro mounts and doing them yourself. :D

Heard it from another guy up here in Calgary Alberta that our taxidermy prices are some of the highest in the world and our turn around times can be brutal from some of the better ones. Took my Ram to a guy and didn't bother to ask how long as I knew he was one of the best, 4 yrs later my Ram was done....nearly puked!!!! Most shoulder mounts around here start around $650 and alot are done around $800-$1,000 with a turn around time of approx 2 yrs. oh well, have at er

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back