Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Educate me on the Grades of Leupold Scopes

2rocky

A friend is buying a rifle with intent to hunt elk this Fall on a horseback hunt in Western Wyoming. Please elucidate me on the differences between the following models in 3-9 x 40mm.

Rifleman
VX-1
VX-2
VX-3

Do you have a preference of models if it was your rifle and money?

(.300 Win Mag caliber)

VX3 3.5x10x40...no tech jibber jabber...it's right up there with the conquest. Lotta glass for circa 500.00

VX1 is friction adjust.
VX2 is click adjust.
There is no VX3 3-9x40.

I'd be content with a VX2 with an elevation turret.

The VX-2 series are one Hell of a bargain. Especially when CDS equipped. mtmuley

VX1 is friction adjust.
VX2 is click adjust.
There is no VX3 3-9x40.

This seems like a big selling point to me. And NHY pointed our 3.5-10 on ther Vx-3

I have the following vx3s
2.5-8x36 M1
3.5-10x40 CDS
4-14x40 CDS

Really happy with all of them and it just depends on your magnification/weight preferences. It goes without saying the 3.5-10 really is a sweet spot. M1 or CDS are great options, again it depends on your preference. My CDS that is dialed for a load (on my 3.5-10) is dead on up to 475. Unfortunately that is as long as I have shot it....but I'm not sure I'd be shooting at a critter over 500.

VX1 is friction adjust.
VX2 is click adjust.
There is no VX3 3-9x40.

You used to be correct, but in the latest round of upgrades, Leupold added clicks to the VX-1.

Here is a sheet I scanned in that breaks it all down. This is one of the tools I use to train retail employees, and thought you guys might find it useful.

Attachments

• vx.jpg
    vx.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,484
You used to be correct, but in the latest round of upgrades, Leupold added clicks to the VX-1.

Here is a sheet I scanned in that breaks it all down. This is one of the tools I use to train retail employees, and thought you guys might find it useful.

Good Stuff. This I can use...

So to finish the story, My buddy chose the VX-2. I think he will be happy.

I told him to start looking for the Federal Premium 180 gr. shells.

I have VX2's and VX3's on several different guns. Have to be honest that side by side at the range, there is undoubetdly a difference both in clarity and brightness of image. But that being said, I have not one time been hunting and thought, I sure wish I had brought the gun with the VX3 on it today because I just can't see X or Y or Z with this VX2. The VX2 is one helluva scope for the money, I think your friend will be very happy. Just my .02 cents.

Last edited:
The problems I have had with riflescopes have all been with the adjustments, not the optics themselves. The optics are definitely brighter on the higher end scopes, but the cheaper ones I believe are just as rugged. You might also consider the Redfield Revolution (also made by Leupold) if price is an issue.

Even if they can, you can buy a VX-2 with CDS for $350, and to have either of those turrets added to a VX-1 will cost at least $350.

The VX-2 with CDS is a steal for what you get.

Minnesota Hunter hit the nail on the head...... To retrofit a VX-1 is kind of cost prohibitive.... Leupold does not offer the VX-1 in a CDS.

Check out the Redfield Revenge Dial N Shoot. This scope comes with several dials in the box that match most all calibers.... Not quite as specific to your particular gun and load, but it is surprising how well they match up to a variety of ballistic profiles, and for a killer price.

CDS can be added to older vx-II scopes. I'm always on the lookout for them. mtmuley

Minnesota Hunter hit the nail on the head...... To retrofit a VX-1 is kind of cost prohibitive.... Leupold does not offer the VX-1 in a CDS.

Check out the Redfield Revenge Dial N Shoot. This scope comes with several dials in the box that match most all calibers.... Not quite as specific to your particular gun and load, but it is surprising how well they match up to a variety of ballistic profiles, and for a killer price.

good info...

I herd Leupold bought Redfield, If thats true they might have a pretty good product there. I would go with the 180 Accubond. that stuff is nails.

Back