Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Beat your wife: $100. Trespass: $1500

RobG

This is sickening. MT House Judiciary Committee Chairmen Krayton Kerns (R-Laurel) just tabled a bill that would have increased the minimum fines for domestic abuse from $100 to $250 (1st offense) and $300 to $350 (2nd offense). The sponsor (Jonathan Windy Boy, D-Browning) claimed in his testimony that this is the 5th time he's tried to get this through.

Krayton Kerns also tabled two other bills related to stalking.

By comparison, Rep. Redfield's HB 147 would increase the minimum fine for 2nd offense trespassing to $500 (more than even the minimum for wife beating). It passed the House F&G committee and will be heard in the Sen. F&G committee Tuesday, March 12. And of course there is SB 299 which would levy a $1500 civil fine for 1st offense trespassing.

Here is a scan from this morning's BDC:
DomesticViolence_zps21fbe5e3.png

I guess this is how the Tea Party celebrates International Women's Day.

I don't see a vote. Can the chair table it by himself?

and wtf does this have to do with Hunt Talk

Nothing really, BUT, doesn't it seem odd that they think it should be a bigger penalty for trespassing than to beat up your wife?? Priorities out there must be a little askew. IMO.
(.....meanwhile back at the bong. . . .);)

and wtf does this have to do with Hunt Talk

It's a civil penalty, that mandates a min fine. You only have show a preponderance of the evidence that you were on someones else's property and it will cost you a min. of $1500 dollars. This is intended to hurt hunters in the pocket book for accidental trespass.

The discussion on criminal trespass has already taken place this session as well. Fine increases and lost privileges.

First: a shout out: U.S. House Rep. Daines (R-Montana) broke from party to vote for the Violence Against Women's Act. Since he also blasted Rep. Rehberg's HR1505 "Land Grab" I have high hopes for Mr. Daines.

Second: The domestic violence bill was heard by the Senate Judiciary (not House) so Kerns wasn't involved. The Do Pass motion failed 5-7.

Third: HB 147 will be heard tomorrow by the Senate F&G committee. This will raise the minimum fine for 2nd offense trespassing to $500 with no upper limit. I think the minimum is too high because people make mistakes plain and simple. Furthermore, I think it is insulting to the women who have lived through abuse.

You can send a message to the Senate F&G committee by clicking <here>. As it is written I could support this bill if the minimum fine was reduced.

So what exactly is increasing the fine for domestic abuse going to accomplish? If a battered womans husband gets fined then you are likely forcing her to pay the fine. I think a blanket party for the abusive party would be much more effective.

So what exactly is increasing the fine for domestic abuse going to accomplish? If a battered womans husband gets fined then you are likely forcing her to pay the fine. I think a blanket party for the abusive party would be much more effective.
The basic issue in my mind is that trespassing shouldn't be a bigger fine than domestic abuse. The issue is more complicated than that, but given that they won't raise DA fines I think it is shameful that they would support raising trespassing fines.

The basic issue in my mind is that trespassing shouldn't be a bigger fine than domestic abuse. The issue is more complicated than that, but given that they won't raise DA fines I think it is shameful that they would support raising trespassing fines.

Then why have fines at all? Who exactly gets the compensation anyhow?

So what exactly is increasing the fine for domestic abuse going to accomplish? If a battered womans husband gets fined then you are likely forcing her to pay the fine

I hadn't thought of it that way. Good point. Plus if your rich then beating your wife would be a drop in the bucket. Perhaps there are better ways to curve domestic violence like jail time vs. fines. Is this why his bill was shot down 5 times in the past?

I hadn't thought of it that way. Good point. Plus if your rich then beating your wife would be a drop in the bucket. Perhaps there are better ways to curve domestic violence like jail time vs. fines. Is this why his bill was shot down 5 times in the past?
I guess it is sort of fining the victim - hadn't thought of it that way either. The fine increases are still pretty small. The bill would increase first offense jail from 24 hrs to 72 hrs. (2nd offense to 7 days). I don't know much about the issue but I guess this helps "cooling off." I found the executive action testimony and the objectors were saying the laws are already strict enough. Crazy.

One thing that I didn't know is that if you are convicted of misdemeanor domestic assault you can't own a firearm ever or even have one in the house. Yeah, that would stop some people but I expect most abusers find out about it after the fact.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back