Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Very sad...

wow, no kidding... Hypothermia...

Prayers are with the mother, other children and those effected. Terrible. An extra pound in cold weather emergency items may hold it's weight in gold x's priceless...

Very sad. I agree Sytes, it takes so little effort to carry a little survival pack.

Had a similar experience with my family in Yosemite about 20 years ago. Thankfully no one died, but they did have to spend the night in the mountains then get Helo'd out. Learned lots of lessons that vacation.

This was a couple hours south of were I live here in MO. What's odd about this is the family is from the St. Louis metro area and should be use to the weather changes we get. A couple days ago it was in the 70s here, now it's in the teens. It's very sad, just weird he didn't look at the forecast, which is common knowledge to do because the weather changes so much so often in Dec-Jan-Feb.

So, so, sad should not have happened.
Growing up in Idaho, no matter what we did nor where we went, dad always taught us to be prepared for weather. To this day, my bro and I usually always carry much more than we need when in the mountains. Doesn't matter if hiking, hunting or on the ATV. Weather can and will change in a minute. Granted, you cannot plan for everything, but we plan for most and discuss the ifs, ands, or buts before we head out. Just hope our grandchildren listen while we talk to them about this.

Sad indeed, Never should have happened. I would at least plan or bad weather in the middle winter. II It was sated the story, the "they were experienced ' I can see the father having "Experience" but not a 10 and 8 year old.

Back when I lived in NJ we were hiking on Mt Washington in New Hampshire in July - typical Mt W weather - mid 40s and rainy. Close to the top we met up with a father and teenage son/daughter. All were dressed in jeans and cotton tee shirts - nothing that looked like rain gear and only a single small daypack between them. They may have driven to the top and hiked out from there. All it was going to take was one wrong turn to get their pictures in the paper. Weather at the bottom away from the mountain was in the 80s or 90s. Again, typical for NH that time of year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back