Heated socks suggestions?

Flatrock

So my dad really wants some heated socks or insoles because his feet are always freezing when bowhunting and ice fishing. We were going to get him some thermacell heated insoles for Christmas but the reviews I found on them weren't that great. Anyone have a certain brand that they have and really like? His birthday is coming up in a few months and we thought maybe we'd give him some then. Thanks

Ive always just gone as close to 100% wool as posible,,,that will work pretty fair to about 10 degrees above 0,,,colder than that maybe cabelas has heated ones.fox river has socks that are close to 90% merlino wool content.

+1 on wool. Too hard to control heated socks and feet end up sweating. Doing any walking, if so not the best. Just don't want him to be miserable.

I do not like to heat my feet. They tend to sweat and then get really cold even if Im wearing sock liners. The warmest thing I have found was if you are on stand which I am almost all the time here. I take my boots off and put them into boot blankets. If sweating isnt an issue then throw a hand or foot warmer in the boot blanket.That method has kept my feet the warmest on really cold days.....:cool:

I do not like to heat my feet. They tend to sweat and then get really cold even if Im wearing sock liners. The warmest thing I have found was if you are on stand which I am almost all the time here. I take my boots off and put them into boot blankets. If sweating isnt an issue then throw a hand or foot warmer in the boot blanket.That method has kept my feet the warmest on really cold days.....:cool:

Agree. I have the "Ice Breaker" boot blankets and they are awesome. ( just can't walk in them) but great while on stand or on the ice fishing. Also the boot warmers work well too, a little too well for me. . .sweat.

If your feet are cold,put on a hat.

And if you are COLD, go pee. Always worked for us when we hunted with dad growing up. Don't ask me, just what he said and always seemed to work.Cold feet? Raise up and down on your toes several times when you can. Also seemed to work. Something about circulation in your feet. We never questioned him because he grew up in the depression.

if its really cold,,,good pac boots witha felt liner work good,,,another option could be a oversized pacboot and add a second felt liner in the first one,,,that should be good to well under -20,,,though a bit bulky.

Has he tried the disposable toe warmers that you stick to your insole?

Edit: just hit the amazon link. Scratch that. Those do work well for stationary activities or skiing.

Last edited:
He has tried pretty much everything but when you are bow hunting in a stand and it is zero degrees, very few things work to stay warm and he is just really hoping that heated socks would do the trick. Bow hunting in December in North Dakota is not for the faint of heart. Zero degrees with a nice breeze in your face is like sitting in a walk-in freezer. If I remember right, I think Randy said his late season ND bow hunt was one of the coldest hunts he has ever been on.

I appreciate the ideas though and I myself am going to try a few of them.

I learned the hard way that "regular" battery heated socks (one size D per sock) and waders do not match. The battery compartment sits on the outside of your calf muscle, so that when you are wading into deeper water and the neoprene compresses against your body, that darn battery is giving your muscle some DEEP tissue massage. I see in the catalogs now they have battery heated socks designed for wader use.....battery is attached to your waist, with a skinny cord going down to the sock.

Back