Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

.40 vs. .45 for bears

Scoot

I'm still thinking about getting a pistol for general use as well as thinking about it for possible bear protection. I previously asked a question about .40s, but I didn't ask about .45s. The consensus was that the .40 was not adequate for dealing with grizzlys. How about .45s- adequate for big, brown, toothy critters who want to eat me for lunch (talking grizzlies, not squatches)? Thoughts?

I had never shot a .40 until yesterday, it had far more bang than I thought it would. 15 rds vs the likely 4 in my .44mag gave me something to think about. Pepper spray is still probably your best bet, unless you end up like the backpackers in the Brooks a couple years ago that got drug out of their tents in the middle of the night:eek:

Why do you not want to get a .44mag?

If I was rich, I'd get a 44 Mag and something smaller, like maybe a 357 or 9mm. However, I'm trying to find a reasonable middle ground that'll be smaller and lighter than the big gun (44 Mag), but still big enough to do the job if need be.

My understanding is that the two calibers are very similar- .45 a little larger diameter and typically slower, .40 faster with a little more pop in the recoil. Is the .45 a "easier shooting" pistol? My impression is that it is, but I'm not sure.

The Smith&Wesson M&P Shield in a .40 is looking pretty good to me...

I'm useless to you regarding a .45 and therefore I am steering your thread into the wrong direction:D

I'm still happy with my .44 purchase, I don't remember paying more than $450 for it.

Attachments

• MVC-015F.jpg
    MVC-015F.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 15,005
I carry a 40 glock when I bow hunt. I also carry bear spray. My theory is that if I have to shoot it is a last ditch resort. I can probably get off a few shots with one hand with it. A single action would have more power but a lot slower for me to draw and fire. I can spray the pepper and make lots of noise with the glock.

.40 and .45 recoil similarly IMO. Since I'm always unchambered in the autos I like Dink's big mag revolver for thud and response time.

Just my opinion so take it for what it's worth:
I don't consider either one to be bear stoppers but if limited to a single pistol I'd go with the 45 due to the larger bullet.
That said, I have most of the calibers mentioned thus far and find a short barreled 44 like the one Dink posted to be ideal. I have the same gun and is pretty comfortable to carry. $450 sounds about right.

I have shot both a 40 and 45acp. Neither would be my "ideal choice" if I was bowhunting in Grizzly country. If those were the only two options I had, I would pack the 45acp however. If your concerned regarding cost of the original purchase, then save a few more pennies between now and bow season and purchase a 41mag, 44mag, 454casull, 480 ruger or something of the like, you can even look at a pawn shop for a decent price. Also, if the goal is truly for protection from a bear attack, stick with a revolver. Just my .02c.

Thanks for the replies, fellas! Reading between the lines a little bit, it seems to me that trying to serve two purposes (general use/personal defense and bear protection) isn't very feasible with just one pistol. Smaller, easier to carry guns aren't deemed to be adequate for bear and the pistols that might be better suited for bears are awfully big IMO. Hmmmm... I keep on thinking I'll come to some sort of decision about this, but I never seem to... Regardless, I appreciate your input and info very much!

This little boy is pretty darn light versus the prior anchors. I specialize in shooting it upside down! Sideways is oldschool! :D

picture.php

Polymer Judge 2.5" Great home defense and back country use. Have I actually used it for either? No... though sounds good to say "Great for..." Still, looks good on my hip! ;)

Home Defense, I use a box o chocolate surprise of .410:
pdx1_410pack_shells-tfb.jpg

Mixed with:
225gr_pdx1.jpg

Last edited:
No one has asked this yet. .45 ACP or LC? Which are you asking about? I've heard the LC is about the same as a .44. Someone mentioned the impracticality of a single action, but most big revolvers are double action these days.

.45 recoil is more like a push, .40 recoil is snappy. If I could only chose between the 2 for a do all type pistol it would be the .45. I shoot an XDM 45 in action pistol matches. 13 round mag and one in the chamber is plenty of fire power.

If you want something exclusive for griz you better look elsewhere

I was talking to my brother last night and we both decided if this thing really wanted to munch you, take your deer or eat your camp, .05 difference in handgun probably wouldn't make a difference:D

mikebear.jpg

.40 or .45. . .I go with the .45 . I carry the .45 XD Springfield and its great, also have a Berretta 96 (.40) also shoots great. . . .but I don't think either is a great bear gun. . .lots of bullets in the air but I'm not sure about stopping a charging Grizz. . . Having said that, I too have the tracker like Dink's and I believe its the perfect pack gun for what your looking for. My opinion only.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back