Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

leupold vx3 3.5-10-40 or 4.5-14-40

I'm facing the exact same decision so look forward to what everyone has to say. I'm also considering a Swarovski Z3 4-12x42. Not really that much difference in price. Right now leaning towards the vx3 4-14.
Mounting on a 300 win mag

i have a 3.5x10 and it is very nice. My wife seems to like it more and is convincing me that I should give her my rifle! Its clear, love the CDS, but am probably gonna go with another Leupold on the next rifle I want to build. Browning X-bolt 300wsm, topped with a VX-6 3.5x18x50. Good luck on your choice!

I got my first 4.5-14X40 this year and wouldn't have any other. I rarely have fired at an animal with my scope turned below 6X. Sounds like you're planning on a longer range rifle with the CDS and I really like the 14X past 400 yards. Usually on the longer shots you have plenty of time for target acquisition and thats the only real advantage of a wider FOV on the lower power settings.

I have two 4.5-14x40 AO's and one 4.5-14x40 LR (30mm/side focus) Sent the LR in for a CDS dial for my .257 Weatherby

Not much use on the LR one yet, like the scopes well enough but the eye relief is a lot more touchy than the 3.5-10's, have two of those (older ones). Have a VX-3 3.5-10x40 with CDS on it's way for a new Kimber Montana .280ai.

Long story longer, the 3.5-10's are my favorite, probably followed not to far behind by the 4-12 Leupolds and than the 4.5-14's.

I have two of the 4x12 leupolds and one of the 3.5x10 leupolds. Like the 3.5x10 better, honestly the eye relief is better and my eye just seems to line up better with it. Not sure how far your planning to use it to shoot, but I have used my 3.5x10 to make shots out to 650yds, which is plenty far for me.

Last edited:
Depends on what and where you're using the scope.
14X is the minimum I'll shoot now. Antelope at 350 yards is fairly small even at that. My 3-9 sits in a box on the shelf.

Anything over a 3-9 is pretty much only an advantage at the range. At least for "normal" hunting ranges anyway. More magnification than that don't make a critter any easier to hit until it's a long way out there. I too have heard and read that the Leupold 3.5-10 is preferable over the 4.5-14 scopes. I don't have either, but I do have the 4-12 AO VX-2 scopes. For the money, they are great scopes. I normally hunt with mine set at 6 or 7 power, and can crank up if need be. I have one that has absorbed hundreds of rounds on a .300 RUM, so they are rugged too. Also, I don't understand or see the need for the huge 50 mm objectives, just my opinions. mtmuley

I know this thread is ancient. But I found out the really hard way that going from 20+ years with a 3-9 to a 4.5-14 can be disastrous if you haven’t used it enough. I missed a lion and a gorgeous buck 4 times last week due to in part being flustered and more in part by having a very difficult time finding my target in the scope and having to move my head around to try to get a full field of view. In addition, shooting with my backpack on is out of the question whereas with my 3-9 it’s not a problem. Hope this helps someone in the future. I’m sending mine back and getting a 3-9 for my new rifle.

Back