Scope mounting rings

mdunc8

I need some decent rings for my scope. The ones the guys here in town used aren't cutting it. It almost cost me my bear this spring as well as my antelope in Wyoming last week. The scope is sliding towards the barrel after a few shots. I took it back to them after my bear hunt and they assured me the problem was fixed. However, I found out after gut shooting my antelope last week that it shifted a little bit during the off range shooting I did between sighting it in a few weeks ago and my Wyoming antelope hunt. The elevation and windage were off 1.5" and 3.5" at 100 yards, which does not result in good things when shooting at a live animal at 289 yards. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good pair of rings that I can pick up fairly quickly as I don't have a backup gun to use this fall?

I've had good luck with Warne rings and Leupold rings. If you have a anti cant device, the Warne rings won't work.

What scope is on it?

I use Talley lightweights on everything, unless it's a heavy setup with a rail.

What rings are you using now? Are you sure the scope is sound?

Ive always used Leupold rings on every thing from my 22-250 all the way to my 300 ulrta and never ad a problem. one piece of advice i would give is to lap your rings in this will give your rings more of a seating area on your scope. make sure of your scope size ( 1" or 30mm) tube makes a difference.. you can lap them in your self, it dosent take long to do. Hope this helps

I made my own out of 1 inch round stock. drilled and tapped a hole for a handle and went to the local auto parts store and bought some valve lapping compund. I think i got the fine and coarse grit.
Just make sure of you tube size. Start with the coarse and finish with the fine.

Not really i just used a 5/16 bolt about 2 1/2 to 3" long. Make sure your round stock is long enough to do both rings at the same time.

Thanks guys. I'm using a Nikon 3-9x40. It's relatively new and has never been dropped or knocked in the field. The scope actually slides all the way up on the rings to the point where I can't adjust the magnification because the dial is pinned on the rail that the rings are mounted to. I don't know what kind of rings are on there now. They're not stamped with any manufacturer info.

Last edited:
I believe that should be 1", I shoot mostly Nikon's, and haven't had those types of issues. Maybe they stripped the screws out and just don't want to replace the rings. I don't think luepold stamps their rings, so I am not sure.

Hunting oriented variables are ALL suspect. I think the venerable Leupold 3.5-10x40 is the best I've seen in that regard, and I've still seen it loose zero. But I'd trust it first of the lot. For what it's worth, I've never had a Leupold 3-9 make it through any hunting season in MT without loosing zero.

Doesn't mean the rings/mounting are sound though, especially if the scope is moving in the rings.

Those Talley's I mentioned are very solid, lightweight mounts. The Deadnutz (I think?) have a good design also and I have heard good things about them. The one piece design means they don't bank on the action having been machined correctly (they often aren't), but I prefer the four screw caps on the Talley's for holding scopes solidly without needing so much torque on the cap screws as to crush scope tubes and affect the internals.

The only Leupold rings I would get would be the dual dovetails. I'd never recommend windage adjustable bases.

Unfortunately I don't have any Savage parts. But if you're going to replace them I'd recommend you get one of the two I mentioned. And if you like, I'll mount them up for you, just let me know.

Carl's given very sound advice. Talley's have a good reputation and are not that expensive.

Another option, especially if you have Weaver style bases on the rifle is to try a set up Burris rings with the nylon inserts. I've heard good things about them not slipping a scope. A shadetree gunsmith trick that does a similar thing is to use silicon to "glue" your scope to the rings. I've also read of folks using bedding compound to do the same. Just some FYI...

Something has to be wonky with either the rings or the mounting of the scope. A 270 isn't a beast in regards to recoil so keeping a scope in one place shouldn't be all that hard.

Leupold rings, in use the quick release type, never had a problem, shame i can't say the same for warne mounts though.
Cheers
Richard

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back