History was made last night

drahthaar

Did anyone watch it? In the 109 years of baseball post-season history no team had ever come back from a more than 4 run deficit to win a winner take all game. It was unreal!!

I could barely watch after the 3rd inning, I was so disgusted. But they just kept chipping away.

When Molina stepped up to the plate with two outs in the 9th and Beltran on 3rd base, down by 2, the Elias Sports Bureau said the Cards chance of winning was 3.5%.

What a crazy year. I went to bed thinking it was over...what a mistake.

My Orioles won more one run games in a season than any team in baseball history. Strange days indeed.

It was a good game. I didn't really care who won....just hoped the Giants would beat the winner (says the disgruntled Braves fan).

I only want to see the Yankees go down. That is all that I care about (says the disgruntled Red Sox fan). At least we got rid of that cancerous growth of a manager.

Drahtaar: As a Cardinal fan since the days of Stan Musial, I watched the whole game...incredible! Lots of demoralized National fans today, though. The game reminded me of Game 6 last year in the World Series when the Cardinals were down to their last strike on two or three occasions, and just kept coming back. Now they have to beat the "evil" Giants.

Go read Jason Stark's article on ESPN webpage. Very cool. Puts what they did last night in quite perspective of the "game".

Musial? Cool. My earliest memories of Cardinal baseball are from 1982 brewer's series. Ozzie is my all time favorite. Albert was approaching that, but naaaa.

If Carp is up to his old ways. Giants are in a HEAP of trouble. Cards have the better batting lineup, 5 guys over .290 is unmatched. Giants have the better pitchers. Carp is the key. If he is up to task, Cards are gonna be hard to beat in a 7 gamer.

Last edited:
It was a very fun game to watch, but like draht I almost turned it off after the 3rd. Wainwright was either getting shelled or strikeouts. The "Cardinombies" just kept coming back a bit at a time.

I wonder what Pujols is thinking right now....

I wonder what Pujols is thinking right now....

Better stop by the lambo dealership later, I don't have one that matches these shoes...

I'd be pretty worried if I was a Cards fan, with the Giant's secret weapon.

4bc81369.gif

What a crazy year. I went to bed thinking it was over...what a mistake.

My Orioles won more one run games in a season than any team in baseball history. Strange days indeed.

It was a great year for me. Don't watch sports but have been hoping the Pirates lose since Andy Van Slyke was on the team. It was extra sweet this year.

Yeah, I love the current playoff system....a fugging team who finishes nine games out in their Division beats a team they were 4 or 5 behind, then beats a team they wud have finished 10 games back of and is still playing....yeah , great post seson.....if you live in St Louis....good thing the regular season don't mean a damn thing anymore.....I liked a NL winner based on 152 games v a AL winner.....
oh yeah, go Cards......maybe you can finish 2nd to Tigers.....(which presumes Leyland fires Valverde and quits immiting Booby Cocks who won 14 division titles with super players but could not manage well enuff to win but one wurld serious)
There...that ought to pizz all beisbol fans off....truth hurts! Oh, way to go Chipper, future HoF dude, on your gawdawful last game....

Whatever dude. I hear ya. Nobody likes change. But you are in the minority. For years and years people got sick of watching their team all year get nothing for finishing say, a 1/2 game out of first after 162 games. The fans clamored for a wildcard. Selig, through out this 2 wildcard team thing. Cards just took advantage. It is what it is, in a 5 game or especially a 7 game series, the better team is supposed to shake out. If you have the best record in baseball(like the Nationals) or you are a division winner(like the Giants) after playing 162 games, it means you barely EVER lost a 3 game series during the season, if you can't win a 5 game series, or god forbid, a 7 game series, then tough $#@%, you choked. Even with 2 wildcards, saying the regular season doesn't mean anything isn't really painting the clearest picture. If you are separated by 4 or 5 games after 162 fuggin games from the guy in front, you are still a very good team. The Cardinals have the second highest run differential in the NL, second only to Wash. Their middle relief just sucks and gave away a TON of games. They have 5 batters over .290, this is unprecedented. If what you say is true, then the Giants being a division winner should by all rights beat the Cards in a 7 spot, just by attrition. As far as I am concerned, everything the Cards have gotten so far is just gravy, if it wasn't for Bud Selig and his pet wildcard, they would all be golfing right now anyway.

Every now and then a team like Baltimore with their small payroll will sneak in to the playoffs. I do have to admit that until we get a salary cap baseball is just short of professional wrestling. Honestly, the Yankees should be ashamed they haven't won more titles with the current system.

Every now and then a team like Baltimore with their small payroll will sneak in to the playoffs. I do have to admit that until we get a salary cap baseball is just short of professional wrestling. Honestly, the Yankees should be ashamed they haven't won more titles with the current system.
Just read an article on ESPN. From 2002-2011 the Cardinals have more WS rings and more League championships while spending less than 1/2 of what the Yankees spent over the same time frame in payroll. Thought that was interesting.

IMO, many teams are showing it's not cut and dry to buy a championship. I don't see the players allowing for MLB to ever go to a salary cap.

Tom- Glad you like baseball! :rolleyes:

Love it!!! Rooting for Cards v. Tigers in WS......and Tigers to WIN !!!
Carp losing last night does not help Cards cause!

So Lincecome is a pothead because he has long hair??? I had long hair in the 60's and that......errrrr.....nevermind!

Misdeameanor charges" ??? Hell, he don't got a clue what weed is.....amount for misdemeanor would not even fill a Swisher Sweet cut open and refilled!....errrr.....so I hear....

That is all the little punk got caught with. Prolly got a suitcase full at home.

Yeah yeah, Cards and Tigers, liked the last time the Cards met the Tigers in the WS

Yeah yeah, Cards and Tigers, liked the last time the Cards met the Tigers in the WS
That's the series I really want to see as well. However, offensively, the current Tigers team is much better than the last time they met. Pitching's not as strong besides Verlander, which could mean for some high scoring games.

Now if the Cards could just get the bats to be consistent. So far this postseason it's been feast or famine when it comes to scoring runs.

Back