Crewcab vs. Bighorn

Deerhunter80

Whats up guys, so I am torn between the Big Horn, Crew Cab and Long Bow. I like the versatility of the frame packs so I am leaning that way but here is my snafu. 90% of my hunting is done here in the north east where I will be chasing whitetail so i will generally need only a day pack. About a week each year I will be doing some packing trips for Elk and, Mule Deer along with Antelope. In 2014 I am going to Alaska for Mtn Goat and Brown Bear and for those extended stays i want a pack that can both carry my gear and also lug some meat out. I know you really can't go wrong with a MR pack, just looking for some help in making a decision.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

I ended up getting the Longbow because I like the layout of the bag better as a day pack than the Crew Cab. But the Crew Cab may be better depending on what you plan to haul. I also plan to buy a 6500 for longer trips. The ability to change the bags is one of the great things about the Nice Frame.

The Longbow makes a better daypack than the Crewcab, IMO. Where the Crewcab does great is to use as a daypack that will carry a load of meat out at the end of the day. But Greenhorn and many others can post photos showing the Longbow doing the same thing.

I'm waiting for the "mystery" bag that MR is currently designing. Basically a 3600ci Longbow, but lighter. I will probably upgrade the Crewcab when they are available.

Buy a bigger bag for your trips north, like a 6500.

I was thinking the crew cab then if I needed to pack more stuff, jam a waterproof dry bag in the center if I needed more stuff. I agree that I may need to pick up a 6500 for the trips to AK - if my wife only knew what I spent on hunting :)

if my wife only knew what I spent on hunting :)
Don't ever talk like that. ;)

Here's 110 pounds on Kodiak Island. I can't imagine fitting it all in a Crewcab.

Kodiak16.jpg

I was thinking the crew cab then if I needed to pack more stuff, jam a waterproof dry bag in the center if I needed more stuff. I agree that I may need to pick up a 6500 for the trips to AK - if my wife only knew what I spent on hunting :)

The inherent problem with stuffing a whole bunch of chit into a crew cab is this:

The pack itself wants to put all the stuff out and away from your back as you load it up. It is sometimes hard to get the load to go correctly, which is up and close to your back. It is generally not a problem until you are really trying to load it with bulky AND heavy stuff.

Keep this in mind while you are loading it and it is better. Also with heavy crap such as elk quarters I usually carry a trash sack and put a bunch of my day clothes/coats in it and put it on the bottom then put the elk quarter on top of that. Gets the heavy stuff up higher and has less of a tendency to pull you over backwards.

Oak - that is a knee buster for sure. I already started getting ready for the Chugach Mountains and I can only hope I have enough success to load up a pack with as much weight.

Dink thanks for the insight - so I guess loading the crewcab so it's a bit top heavy would be the way to go...

Did you say Chugach Mountains? Another heavy pack, although not as heavy as Kodiak.

Day 1:

Dall56.jpg

Day 14:

Dall49.jpg

Oak, looks like you threw everything away except the critter...and gotcha a smaller belt.

Oak, looks like you threw everything away except the critter...and gotcha a smaller belt.
After I got the sheep, I didn't need anything else. ;)

And it helped that a third guy hiked in and split the outbound loads with us. :eek:

Awesome pics Oak - cant wait to get to AK - I am going after Mountain Goat and Brown Bear. Hopefully a cool hunt if I don't fall off a cliff!

On the packs - I pulled the trigger yesterday on a crew cab, and will pick up that 6500 once I get closer to MT Elk in 2013 or if I draw or Goat/Brown in 14.

Back