Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Space in sleeping bag

Flatrock

How much space do you guys like to have past your feet in your sleeping bag? I went and tried out a few at the store the other day and the lady there said to have at least a couple inches of free space at the bottom of the bag. The one I am looking at I can either get a 6'0" bag or a 6'6" bag. I am about exactly 6 feet tall and 175 pounds. The 6 foot bag seemed to fit ok with just an inch or two of space past my toes. The lady said that I should definitely go with the 6'6" bag but that seems like a lot of extra space to have. So again, how much extra space do you guys like to have in your sleeping bag? Thanks.

6'....I had the wide long Cabelas Alaskan Guide Rectangular & sold it to my hunt pard & reordered the reg size also in rectangle. The mummys are warmer but I move around a lot & need the lateral foot room. The long/wide one simply had too much space for the body to heat & would develop cold spots.

I'm 6-1, and do not like regular lenght bags. A little extra room at the top and bottom is fine with me. You can use that extra space at the bottom to put some cloths, or other things you don't want to freeze.

All mine have an extra 6-8 inches in length (not by choice), and I haven't had any problems.

I have ordered longs on my last 2 bags and I like them

6'1" 220

A couple inches extra length is good for me;not a 1/2 a foot though.I bring a pillow case to stuff hunting clothes in to keep warm and make a pillow.That works out real good for me.I highly recommend BA bags with the air core pad.I bought the storm king and pad last year and had great nights sleeping;except for all the elk keeping me up.Their design where the pad fits into the sleeping bag pocket at the bottom works awesome,and keep you on your pad if you move around at all sleeping

A couple inches extra length is good for me;not a 1/2 a foot though.

Yea that's kind of the problem I have. I can either be kind of tight in the 6 foot bag or have a bunch of extra room in the 6'6" bag... The one I am looking at is a mummy bag.

Consider this,
In very cold weather, you might want your head down in the bag, that extra 6 inches would be great.
But remember, the bigger the bag, the bigger the space your body needs to heat and keep warm.
In moderate temperatures, My whole head is hanging out, and a 5 ½ foot bag would work.

Go long, you won't regret it. Like Bambistew said, you can put stuff in there you don't want to freeze. Can't tell you how many times I have had my bag stuffed with important clothing items I didn't want to put on cold.

Thanks a ton for the input guys. Sounds like the longer one is the way to go.

I like a longer sleeping bag too. For hunkering down in on extreme cold nights and to keep my clothes in with me so they are warm when I get dressed in the morning.

A couple inches extra length is good for me;not a 1/2 a foot though.I bring a pillow case to stuff hunting clothes in to keep warm and make a pillow.That works out real good for me.I highly recommend BA bags with the air core pad.I bought the storm king and pad last year and had great nights sleeping;except for all the elk keeping me up.Their design where the pad fits into the sleeping bag pocket at the bottom works awesome,and keep you on your pad if you move around at all sleeping
Ditto! I'm a huge fan (both figuratively and literally) of the BA bags/pad. I flop around alot when I sleep and with their system I'm never off the pad. Besides at my weight the insulation underneath me is so compressed as to offer very little warmth anyway. I'd also go with the longer bag, I did and I'm only 5'10".

I'm 6 ft on the nose and have a Marmot long. I never use the last few inches it seems and it is always crammed against the tent side just getting wet.

But unless it is really cold I can never stand to have my arms in the bag and so it is usually down a ways from my head/shoulders in the first place. God I hate mummy bags.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back