Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

OYOA Wolf hunt - August 16th

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Since the promo has already started and the newswires have picked up the story, I figure I may as well start promoting these episodes on our site. Many of you followed along on the "Live Hunt" thread linked below. It is the most followed thread in the history of Hunt Talk. Imagine that ;).

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=249122

Here is one of the most recent columns that came out today. It was published in Game and Fish Magazine. A small interview such as this is hardly enough space to convey all the feelings and emotions that this episode captures, from the political battles, to the challenge of the hunt, to the mixed emotions of walking up to a wolf and realizing how the wolf, much like hunters, has been used as a pawn in a bigger battle of ideologies related to control over western lands and wildlife.

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2012/...onfronts-polarizing-issue-of-wolf-management/

The first episode will premier on Thursday, August 16th. That lays the ground work of how it came to be that Montana has a wolf season, how the lands we hunters protected for elk were a result of the same efforts that set the table for wolf reintroduction, and some close calls with wolves that put the slip on us.

The second episode premiers the following Thursday, August 23rd. That episode is a hard core pursuit of wolves, one coyote gets his five seconds of TV glory, and a good perspective of the respect you will gain from chasing wolves, whether you tag one, or not.

I am sure all who hunted wolves this last year will agree with me when I state how impressive they are, how better suited they are to live in these mountians, and the great level of appreciation I have for them and what they must do to make a living. I intend to chase wolves so long as they will let me. I will argue until the end of time that wolves have a place in our system, even if it creates hard feelings among those who have no use for them.

As hunters, we have been about restoration of species to their native ranges and then helping to manage them in the fractured habitats that currently exist. Wolves fit that same model. They will benefit from hunting, as will the elk, and the hunters chasing them. Wolves will not disappear as a result of hunting and hopefully some level of local control via hunting will increase the tolerance of the wolves' presence on the landscapes, albeit at levels below what we have today.

Hope you like it.

IMG_1623.JPG

I set my DVR a few days ago. Not going to miss these episodes! Looking forward to seeing the show to match it up to the live hunt thread!

Very much looking forward to it. Lot's of publicity today regarding this on Facebook too.

Way to go Randy, I'm glad to see you are the one leading this topic to the main stream public through the camera. I don't think there would be anyone better to explain all the issue around this subject and represent it in a positive way for everyone else to see.

Can't wait!

My favorite argument for the year was wolf season setting.

Not because I like to argue with friends, but because it's the right conversation to have, just like we do with elk and deer.

Can't wait for the episode Randy, and really glad that you're leading the charge on this. :)

I'm looking forward to it. I thought the promo in Bowhunter magazine was awesome and it really got me excited about the upcoming episodes.

That was a great promo Randy. I think people are gonna really like this one.

Thanks again for inviting me along, was one of the best hunts I've ever been on!

Let me know if you want another tag along this January for another round:)

I will argue until the end of time that wolves have a place in our system, even if it creates hard feelings among those who have no use for them.

As hunters, we have been about restoration of species to their native ranges and then helping to manage them in the fractured habitats that currently exist. Wolves fit that same model. They will benefit from hunting, as will the elk, and the hunters chasing them. Wolves will not disappear as a result of hunting and hopefully some level of local control via hunting will increase the tolerance of the wolves' presence on the landscapes, albeit at levels below what we have today.View attachment 30967

This is the truth. Lots of folks want them gone. Lots of folks want them to overpopulate. We just need to be able to manage them.

And so the love letters have started. An email exchange with a person who has solved the world's problems and will make the world such a better place - NOT.

Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 2:07 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: OYOA Contact Submission

Gee, thanks for the response. I hope you get eaten by a Grizzly. One less SLOB Hunter- the world would be that much lighter

-----Original Message-----
To: huardbuddyboy <[email protected]>
Sent: Tue, Aug 7, 2012 4:02 pm
Subject: RE: OYOA Contact Submission
Yeah, we are short. Or at least in pictures. Electronic calls are illegal in
MT. I think that might have changed this year. We did pretty much all spot and
stalk.

Hope that helps.

Randy

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:06pm
To: [email protected]
Subject: OYOA Contact Submission

Name: william huard

Email:

Comments: Gee Randy- why are all you SLOB wolf killers so short? How did you
kill your wolf- electronic calls? You "sportsman"(all laugh here)really should
go back to fair chase hunting principles

And so the love letters have started. An email exchange with a person who has solved the world's problems and will make the world such a better place - NOT.

That guy is a tool, but I am sure you expected emails like this and have probably had plenty prior to this one. But I did notice his email handle "huardbuddyboy". As my grandpa used to say "friends are friends, pals are pals, but buddies sleep together" :D

I googled the guys name. He posted this on the Boise Weekly site.

"Elk lover and the other "sportsmen"(all laugh here)are always whining about Elk herds. The information is available for everyone to see......Wyoming is 29% over their management objectives. In 1992 there were 90,000 elk in Montana, today there are about 140,000 elk......In Idaho 23 of 29 management zones are meeting their quota. So, my question is- What are you talking about? You people talk about conservation and being the true stewards of the environment as you talk about "gut shooting" an animal that lives by instinct, not by these artificial human morality standards that you LOONS apply to them. You people are disgrace"

he apparently likes using his "all laugh here" statement.

He seems to go around to all the you tube videos with his insightful comments. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-dz76T8LDhx4S2KOie3cZA

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd email that guy, based on his Youtube comments he has some serious anger management issues.

I'm not sure I'd email that guy, based on his Youtube comments he has some serious anger management issues.

I agree! He threatens people on almost every comment. Think he has more than anger issues too.

Wow, that guy puts tool to a whole new level................pretty sure at some point he will make one of those comments to someone in person and they will kick all of his own teeth down his own throat;) I'm sure just a tough guy on the web though.........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back