how do you carry your rangefinder

gman82001

I picked up a new rangefinder this winter and also the badlands rangefinder case. Spent the weekend walking and shooting with my pack on and noticed the case was always coming open. the rangefinder is pretty small so it never fell out but i wasnt crawling or doing lots of other stuff you may end up doing on a hunt. It is teathered in the pouch but I still dont want it dragging on the ground. I was wondering how you guys carry yours and if any one else is using the badlands pouch how and where do you attach it the details are very slim on the web as to the exact use of the plastic clip ( i assume ist for molle webbing but none od my badlands have molle) And im unsure if i want it attached to my pack at all incase i decide to drop the pack on a stalk, And its kind of big to hook to your belt then wear the pack.

I've seen those but liked the idea of having it closed in the case but if it don't stay closed that don't help much lol

I wear a binocular harness that has a range finder clip attached to it. I keep it clipped on my right side so I can quickly reach it with my right hand. The binocular harness is elastic enough that it easily stretches to allow the rangefinder the appropriate range of motion (no pun intended haha) to reach my eye. The only issue I've really run into with it is it can be noisy if moving quick as your rangefinder can beat against your binocular, but this is minor. Haven't really belly crawled, but never had a problem while crouched low or on my hands and knees crawling around.

Why carry a rangefinder? Just one more piece of crap to hang around your neck and get caught on brush/timber and hang you in the woods.

I have watched people waste more opportunities for killing an animal as they mess around with the damn rangefinder trying to figure out how far it is. I think all these new-fangled, rangefinding scopes, 1000 yard shooters, laser range-finding, bullet drop taped on the side of the stock is taking the "hunting" out of hunting.

Here is how I range find.

Is it less than 100 yards? Shoot, fast.
Is it over 100 yards? See if if it is less than 300 yards, then shoot quickly.
Is it over 300 yards? Move closer, then shoot.

It is a simple sport.

That's easy to say for rifle and I rarely use it when gun hunting because my set up is good to 300 with out much guesswork but the difference of 40 and 50 while bowhunting is a good shot or a bad shot so to me its worth the extra effort to carry it

I judge yardage fairly well out to about 50 yards after that i always use my rangefinder.. I take the time to know my yardage when i am bowhunting. Some people can judge better than others i just really like to know my yardage so i make a clean kill with my bow. Have guessed on a few animals and was wrong and missed. just my 2cents.

Wouldn't be without a rangefinder archery hunting.Don't think its real necessary with a rifle,but I still have it along for longer ranges and setting my scope to compensate
i wear my rangefinder around my neck,and tucked under my jacket.I range everything at my set up before calling.I can still access it pretty quick if necessary

I just tied a cord in a loop big enough to fit comfortably over one shoulder. Then, loosely zip tied my range finder to the loop. This way it can ride easily along the cord to my eyeball when needed, but rides quietly in quick reach the rest of the time.

b68ce41a.jpg

I also use the S4 Gear Sidewinder EVO Retractable Tether System I bought at Scheels. I've used it for the past year and it works great. I got one for my Dad, but he's not a big fan (I think his fat fingers keep hitting the release so he is worried about losing his rangefinder). I've had no problem though.

Here is a picture with my rangefinder removed (to keep it dry) during this springs bear hunt.

Attachments

• DSCN0643a.jpg
    DSCN0643a.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 4,138
Last edited:
I am with JoseCuervo --- I know many to have lost cases like this, devices and pieces of equipment along with 'cool camo knives', sharpeners, etc. I even found a pair of binoculars.

Keep it in your pack.

For gun hunting I rarely use it but have it along. For bow hunting, I wont go without it. I shoot heavier arrows for better penetration and there is a big difference every 10 yards in point of aim. We owe it to the animals we hunt to make clean ethical shots and this is a tool that helps me accomplish that. I use the side rangefinder harness from Badlands. It totally encases the unit and has a strap attached the the unit so it can not be lost. I can use the rangefinder and just drop it back in the pouch without making a sound. It uses magnets to keep shut. I could always add some velcro to it if it starts opening up on me be so far so good with the magnets. It has worked well in single digit temps here in MN.

I'm with dustinf. Over one shoulder. So it rides just below the armpit most of the time, and can be easily lifted to view.

I picked up a new rangefinder this winter and also the badlands rangefinder case.

And im unsure if i want it attached to my pack at all incase i decide to drop the pack on a stalk, And its kind of big to hook to your belt then wear the pack.

I have the badlands also, but it has the magnets that close the top. I assume you have the same one? I really like mine and have never had a problem as I have crawled/walked thru vietnam thick brush while trying to keep my footing and it has never came open. If anything it closes almost too tight.

I have my camera attached to my pack waist belt on the left side and badlands attached to the right side. When I stalk without my pack, I just toss it in the thigh pocket of my pants. Having a bino strap and bino shield already in the chest area I don't like having another thing dangling around my shoulders.

I have seen those retractable devices, but never tried them as I am more than happy with my set up. Plus the case keeps the rain, snow and dirt out of my finder's lenses.

At any rate, just got to try different setups till you find something that suits you. Took me awhile to find the right combo.

I carry mine in a zippered pouch that attached to my waist strap. Never had any issues doing it that way, couldn't imagine loosing my Leicas. As for not needing a rangefinder, I am glad to hear the first man with calibrated eye has come to earth! I need that operation...I agree to a point, bow hunting is a game of inches and feet, I would rathet range trees before than guess and wound an elk....as for rifle, 200-300 yards is a very common shot out west so yes at long range shooting I get a reading before the wby speaks. Hope you figured out where you want to carry your RFs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back