Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Spotter or Binocs

fair2middlin2003

Headed out for my first elk hunt this October in Colorado. I will be hunting solo and I am wondering if I should have a spotting scope, binocs or both? Any advice would be appreciated.

Agree with above.., I find a spotting scope useful when hunting Elk only if am looking for a specific size of trophy or a particular animal or just looking up close for pure enjoyment..now buck hunting is a different story.

I would take neither. Go light! I just use my riflescope for glassing for game, other hunters etc.

You honestly use your rifle scope to spot other hunters???I hope this was a joke.Anyway, I rarely use binos or a spotter for elk.I do carry binos but think a spotter would be a waste of space.It all depends on the terrain your hunting.If theres alot of meadows and you can use a spotter, it may be worth it.All my elk hunting is in deep woods so they are useless to me

If you have a good pack you can take your spotter in your pack. I carry my binocs against my chest and my spotter in my pack. That way when I sit and glass for a long time and need to get out there a ways I can pull out my spotter. Just me though.

It depends on what the country is like and how much crap you want to carry on your back. I only take binos, as a spotter is quite a bit of extra after several days of packing it around. Get a good set of at least eight power binos and go for it. If you want to help make them steady, then take a light tripod with a bino adapter.

If you are spending lots of time in truck, then it does not matter, but if you are wearing a pack and putting in lots of miles, then everything you can do without is a plus for your back. I used to start off with all kinds of crap in my pack and after about two days, only the essentials went with me.

I hope that no one on here seriously scopes everything using only a rifle scope.

Wyodeerhunter is joking but I have seen more than one hunter panning with a riflescope.

Binos and rifle is about it for me. Cellphone for pics, usually forget the camera anyway.

I would take neither. Go light! I just use my riflescope for glassing for game, other hunters etc.

I just use my Black Gold bow sight. But I am exxxxxxtreme!;)

I agree with Jose (a site search found that phrase 4 times) and the others that binos are your first priority (and a must) with the spotting scope being dependent on your terrain, type of hunting etc.

With Colorado's antler specs, you'll want to be very certain you're headed after a legal bull before covering what always seems to be steep terrain. Good luck on your hunt!

I've had someone glassing me through the rifle scope before. What he saw was me looking at him through my binoculars giving him the one fingered hello.

He quickly put down his gun and casually walked over to a big Aspen tree and hid on the far side, soon enough I can see his gun sneaking around the tree to do the same thing again, again he got the one finger hello. Jackwagon.

I hunted many years in CO for deer and elk (taken several of both) and never needed a spotting scope. A very good pair of binocs was all I ever needed. If you are strictly trophy hunting on leased land or with an outfitter, then a spotting scope would be handy.

Obviously, binoculars are a must and both are best, but never a spotter alone. I always carry a light tripod even when glassing with binoculars. I don't use an adapter, just rest my bino's on the pan head. Adds a ton of stability for long range glassing and cuts down on the fatigue.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back