Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Video camera recommendations?

fishing4sanity

Just curious what video camera you guys recommend for hunting. My sons have antelope tags this fall and I don't, I'll be going with them and figured I may as well be the camera man. I'm not looking for TV show quality, just looking for something with enough zoom to use on a rifle hunt and then share with family & friends if it turns out. I was looking at a Sony HDRXR260V, but I'm open to any/all suggestions, especially just as good but cheaper.

dustinf, looks like your Sony does a great job. I remember seeing that video before, I hope your wife is doing well or fully recovered already. 8,000 miles .......... makes my legs sore just thinking of driving that far.

So what camera did you get?
I am interested as i intend buying a HD camcorder, i already have a Go Pro but obviously its of no use for long deer hunting shots.
My intention is just to film a few hunts in the UK and upload to Youtube.
A camera that won't break the bank, $600 maximum, is what i am interested in.

Cheers

Richard

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would resurrect this one.

I am looking for an inexpensive (under $300) video camera to use to try out filming hunts. I have a contour camera that mounts on my bow, and a digiscope adapter for my iphone to spotter, but I don't have anything that is really good for capturing the rest of the video. My wife has an awesome DSLR, but I am not sure I want to drag something like that with me just yet, and was hoping for something smaller.

I have looked at the Sony HDR-CX240 and the Canon Vixias. Does anyone have any experiences with this class of camera. I am concerned about battery life. I do have a goal zero panel for recharging batteries, and figure I will need to have at least 1 spare.

I've got a canon vixia I'm pretty happy with. These cheaper cameras with their smaller sensors suffer in low light but with the right settings its acceptable. Shutter speed and gain adjustment clean it up considerably. In daylight the picture is fantastic. The optical stabilization is nice too but the key is a tripod or monopod.

I've taken footage here and there on hunts but for my dads moose this fall I hope to put something more together and carry a tripod as often as possible.

Batteries do okay, the standard claims 75 minutes or so, it probably gets a little less, but not horrible. I've tried a generic and it didn't hold up at all.

Batteries do okay, the standard claims 75 minutes or so, it probably gets a little less, but not horrible. I've tried a generic and it didn't hold up at all.
I don't want to condemn all generic batteries, but the ones I've tried because of the price, have not been worth it in the long run. The generics I tried had a shorter life per charge and also quit taking a charge at all much sooner.

I don't want to condemn all generic batteries, but the ones I've tried because of the price, have not been worth it in the long run. The generics I tried had a shorter life per charge and also quit taking a charge at all much sooner.

I think it really depends on the specific batteries. I picked up several for my Canon DLSR. Obviously, this doesn't put the same demands on them as a video camera, but after probably 15 charges each, I can't tell the difference between the generics and the factory batteries and they were something in the neighborhood of 5% of the price of name brand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back