Point and Shoot

trouthunterdj

Hello all,

I am looking for a new point and shoot for a couple Western hunts this fall. I would like to here any recommendations and opinions.

Thanks

ddj

I am looking to find a camera for under $500

Thanks,

ddj

I got my girlfriend a Canon Powershot sx230 HS for Christmas last year and we both really like it. It is a compact camera but it has 14x optical zoom which is nice for taking hunting shots in big western landscapes. It was around $200 when I bought it, so it is much under your budget and there may be better cameras for that kind of money. I did a lot of researching before I bought it and we were both really happy with it. You may be interested in the new model that they came out with in the meantime. It is the big brother of this camera and is called the canon powershot sx260 HS. It has a very impressive 20x optical zoom and it can also take a little wider angle shot on the bottom end of the zoom. I'm not an expert on cameras by any means, but I'd give it a look if I were you. I think it is in the $350 range.

I switched to DSLR cameras a few years ago and so I don't have recent enough experience to recommend a specific model in the point-n-shoot category, but if you're taking photos of wildlife you can never have enough zoom (at least I rarely get as close as I'd like) and image stabilization is a big plus as well. For a couple of places to look around I'd suggest cnet reviews and B&H Photo. Use the search filters and look for lots of zoom and good reviews. Good luck & I look forward to seeing you post some photos in the near future. Remember, LOTS of zoom................

I've been really happy with the Lumix ZS7 I bought a couple years ago. It's about as user friendly as they can get, with an intelligent auto setting that seems to work really well.

I don't think they make the ZS7 anymore, but it'd be worth checking out whatever they have out new.

+1 for the Panasonic Lumix.

We had been pretty devoted to Nikon for our DSLR and Canon for the point and shoots, but last winter one of our friends had a Lumix ZS15 and it took great pictures, so we picked one up.

Thanks for the help guys. I will have to compare cameras at the local Best Buy or camera shop soon. I had thought about a Canon SD3500 also. Anyone had any experience with that camera?

Thanks again,

ddj

I hunt alone a bunch and have been keeping an eye out for one with a remote, to take self portrait grip and grid shots. Haven't seen much lately with the actual remote. Anyone have any info on one with that feature?

Most of the canon's are good quality, and the Lumix is right in there. I would look into the Nikon one for something a little more advanced.

Aside from going to a camera shop and asking for their assistance in picking out the right camera, I would recommend you do some google searches for head to head comparisons of the cameras on your final list of candidates. There are a lot of good reviews out there where they compare two cameras side by side and take into account the strengths and weaknesses of each. For example, do a search of canon powershot shot sx230 HS vs. panasonic lumix ZS10. One of the sites I really liked when comparing cameras was dpreview.com. Their reviews are very thorough and include lots of example photos in various settings and lighting. They also provide reviews of several cameras in the same "class". I think your best bet for your application would be the "compact travel zoom class". These are small cameras with powerful zoom capabilities. The following takes you to that site, and this is a comparison of the travel zoom class which compared six cameras from canon, panasonic, pentax, nikon, samsung, and sony.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q311travelzoomgrouptest/17

This review is of the 2011 class, as I do not think they have one out for 2012 models yet, but I could be wrong. They do, however, have individual reviews out for 2012 models so you can read those and compare them on your own.

Another vote for the Canon SX260. I bought the the SX230 a couple years back and it has been a great camera for what it is. The HD video is amazing for such a little camera. I also like that it allows you some manual control, which enables you to take better photos than shooting on auto alone. The only negative I have found is it does not digiscope as well as my older Canon point and shoot...

If you want convenient, packable, lightweight with great function as a point and shoot look at this. DIGIC 5 processor and 1080HD video

3.43 x 2.12 x 0.76"
4.76 oz / 135 g Camera only

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=compare.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=838756&is=REG

If you're okay with something a little bigger with a lot more flexibility in terms of function check out a G12. Nearly all the function of a DSLR, in a point and shoot format. I went from a Pro-Level Canon D5 to one of these and haven't looked back. Works awesome and easy on full auto, and allows you all the creativity you want.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=canon+powershot+g&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&ipp=100

I have an Olympus 7.1 water proof, shock proof, durable little guy. Tjones has one, and so does my kid. They are great little cameras and survive the wet conditions of November elk hunting. They take great self timers too. They call them the tough series now. http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital.asp

Mine took this beauty, and I dont mean the guy:

Attachments

• Boulder peak, lake hike 015.jpg
    Boulder peak, lake hike 015.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 382
  • P8140452.jpg
    P8140452.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 376
If you want amazing images, go with the Canon G12. It has the biggest sensor you will find for a point and shoot under $500. I have one and it is amazing. Pretty much the same sensor as in some of the Canon DSLRs.

Only down side is that it does not have super zoom. I bought a tele-converter and that helps, but still not a long distance camera. But for normal pics, trophy shots, landscapes, rich colors, low light, and many different modes, it is by far the best P&S camera I have ever owned, and I get a new one about every other year.

I just bought a new Nikon Coolpix P510, to use for a super zoom. Well, technically Mrs. Fin bought it. It has a 42X telephoto lens. IdahoBulger is not going to out-zoom me next time we go hunting. I can't give much recommendation to it, as have not taken it to the field. Research showed it to be a great camera. The best in class zoom, with the great lens quality Nikon is known for, and still very good sensor and other features for great pics when not in super zoom mode. You can get it right now at Amazon.com for $399.

Thanks guys! Great reviews and help. I have a couple months till my goat hunt so I will do some more research.

Big Fin - If you take the Nikon P510 out in the field, let me know how it compares with the G12.

Thanks all,

ddj

I cannot comment on the new Point and Shoots as mine is an older Canon Powershot. I really like it and it has served me well. but what I will say is that I really, REALLY favor a camera that uses AA batteries especially for hunting and fishing. I have never missed a picture due to a battery issue. I cannot tell you how many times I have been around someone with a rechargeable that forgot to charge it or it was worn down for whatever reason. Just a thought and I hope whatever you choose serves you well. Please let us know how you like it after you use it awhile.

I wouldn't buy a point and shoot for outdoor pursuits that isn't at least waterproof, the better ones today are shockproof also and most are under $300. I've owned both Pentax and Olympus, the Pentax Optio was one of the earlier waterproof versions, I cracked the waterproof housing, so I don't use it anymore. I have an Olympus Stylus Tough that I use now. For what it's worth, I think the Pentax took better pictures.

RE: Point and Shoot camera

Recently I purchased a Panasonic LUMIX ZS!19 14 megapixel point and shoot about an inch thick and fits easily in your shirt pocket! With that being said, the features and quality of the camera are outstanding! They are : A LEICA lens capable of 20x with optional 40x power capability still maintaining sharpness. Going a step further you can zoom out to 80x digitally with a good degree of sharpness! High definition video with stereo sound and slo-mo are available, You can do a burst mode of 10 fps @ 14 megapixel, There's a panorama option as well also HDR and 3D!
Have been using it extensively for two months and am excited about using it for the fall hunting seasons.
Forgot to mention that it retails for @ $300. but it can be gotten for 250. It's available at COSTCO, Best Buy and Staples (online).

I was drooling over that one.
20X in a pocket size camera.
Makes my 10X FH20 seem wimpy.
Maybe next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back