new to spotting scopes

nmanchester

Im in the market to get a spotting scope for hunting in western colorado for deer, elk, and bear, I had been looking at the vortex nomad, redfield rampage, and have heard good things about the theron sakers, I am even curious about the leupold ventana. Does anyone have any experience with these scopes and what one would be better for my use, or is there something out there that is better in this same price range. Any help would be great. Im limited to being able to look at most of them as I dont have any sporting goods stores near by and have to do most my searching online. I have looked through both the vortex and redfields but only in a store. Thanks in advance for any help.

I'd go with Vortex. Honestly they have great glass and their warranty is second to none.

The warrenty on the vortex is what originally drew me to them. I just didnt know if it would be worth the extra for the leupold ventana. I want something thats got good optics and having a good warrenty is a bonus.

Just did my own not very scientific side by side review in an effort to find a not too expensive, packable scope. Compared a Bushnell Trophy that I had for a couple years, to a new Minox MD50, and a new Vortex Nomad. No question - clarity, build quality, etc. - I kept the Vortex and sold the others. Its a nice scope for the $$, and a great warranty that will hopefully never be needed. FWIW - also recently got a pair of the 10x42 Viper HD bino's - nice.

As i said before Im new to the optics thing, what is the advantages of the ED or HD glass?

Have to agree with Vortex, very good especially for the money. I got one last year and love it. I dont know if most people will use it enough to appreciate the difference with the ED or HD lenses. I have never looked thru one with it so i couldnt give my opinion on that.
But if you buy a Vortex no doubt you will not be disappointed.

When light passes thru glass it disperses into primary colors. The higher quality the glass the less the dispersion. The next step is to make the glass or add to the glass a substance that disperses light much less. Flourite is a one of those substances. ED, HD, APO and FL are all marketing terms which tell you the glass has a low dispersion substance added to the lenses. All these things basically give you a clearer/cleaner image.

ED glass is not the only consideration in good optics and just because the Saker has ED glass does no mean it will preform better than a non-HD Swaro but it does mean it will have a cleaner image than if it didn't.

You've got to understand that scopes in this $$ range are all likely made in China and maybe even by the same facility.

I suspect they are all very capable scopes and the performance difference can probably only be noticed when they are set next to each other. The top end in the 60mm class costs 7 or 8 times what you are considering....remember that and you'll be happy with your purchase.

thanks drthorton for that information. I am in no way expecting a scope to perform to those levels of a swaro, which i have looked through, but cant afford. Im just trying to find the one that will serve me the best in my price range. The part that sucks is that i have to drive at least an hour just to even look through some.

I just got some Theron binos and am happy with them.For the money you'd save, i'd go with the Saker.But, then it all depends on how much use your going to give them.If I was using them alot, I'd probably want the warranty that Vortex offers

Ive got a nikon ed 50 and really like it,,,very light for packing,,,compact,,,very good optics for a 50 mm lens,,,$675 price was up there but quality is awesome.

I do not know anything about HD vs. Ed. But I do know that if I was peeking at your wife from across the subdivision with a spotter I’d want the super high $ stuff. Compact means=Chit, be a man and pack it.

I’m just poor white trash from Western Colorado but no one that ever looked through my spotter has complained. Sell your ATV, wife, first child, etc. and buy good glass.

Ive got 2 spotters but my larger pro-staff w 82 mm lens isnt good for packing at all,way too big,,,the ed 50 is great for packing,not just because its only 18 oz,but its compact to fit in the pack side pocket perfect,I havnt seen any other spotters that are in the same catagory as the ed 50 for size,clarity,wieght,low light visability,it really is good if you can afford around 7 bills for one.even though it only goes to 30 power,its really good out to a mile or more.very clear.this unit is top of the line.

I think more often than not guys start off with the same opinion as nmanchester and end up with the opinion of Dink after a fair amount of heavy glassing.

Hell I wish I had the 80mm now instead of a 65mm. On those really overcast days later in the fall you lose glassing time in the evening with just a 65mm I believe.

so the 60 may be great for packing but for low light the 80 is better. I looked through two scopes last the vortex nomad 20-60x60 and leupold ventana 15-45x60 and to be honest i couldnt tell a difference between the two and i thought they both looked pretty good so the ventana in the 20-60x80 should be even better then, especially for lower light

I agree Dink. I am looking to upgrade my 65 with an 80. I spend quite a bit of time behind glass(someone finally beat it through my head that this is way more successful than wandering around aimlessly). Not only are most 80's better in low light situations, but I have found most to have better eye relief and are easier to stay behind for longer periods of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back