Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

$230 bargain rifle.

T Bone

Occasionally I stop by and peruse a local gun shop. The clearance rack is usually a cluster of junk military and rusty muzzleloaders.

One rifle caught my eye...It was labeled as a Remington 78 Sportsman. I'd never heard of it....788 yes, 700 yes, but never a model 78. It looked identical to a 700.

It had a ton of paint stain and overspray on it. It was very much an ugly duck. I looked at the bolt and determined the metal to be in good shape and the bore was too dirty to tell what it looked like. $230 out the door with some Weaver mounts thrown in. Worst case scenario it was an action to build on.

I took it home, cleaned everything up. The paint overspray came off easily and underneath it I found a very plain jane looking Remington 700. The internet told me the model 78 was made in the mid 80's for a few years as Remingtons low price point rifle. It is 100% interchangeable with a model 700.
P4129399.jpg

P4129403.jpg

It hadn't been shot much, but looks to have spent a lot of time riding in a back window gun rack.

I mounted a Leupold 4x fixed and dug out an old box of 180 grn round nose factory ammo someone gave me.

After getting it on paper, I backed up to 100 yards, settled into the sandbags and shot a 3/4" group. Nice!
P4129400.jpg

I clicked in the corrections and was popping rocks out to 300 yards no problem.

After bedding, it'll be a good beater/loaner rifle. A $230 30-06 is always a righteous decision :)

Sweet....how much eye relief does that fixed 4 have? An extended front base might be a good idea.

Thats alot of bang for your buck. Who says you have to spend a bunch of money to get a gun that shoots good.

Back in the "good old days" when Remington's low end rifle was still as good as a 700. Now we have this "770" POS

Thats cool T-Bone. I bought a 7mm weatherby Mag in the Mauser 98, 100 pieces of Brass and Leupold base and rings for $250 bucks.

I loaded up some rounds since the price for factory ammo is around 50 bucks per box.

I have not shot it yet but I hope it groups like your great buy.

Some smiths claim the Model 48 action, although a 700, was superior to the actual 700. I look for them everywhere I go. mtmuley

Great find, 30-06 is one of my favorites. My beater rifle is a 98 Mauser in .257 Roberts, sometimes it's nice to have a rifle that you don't have to baby.

You dog! I ended up with dad's aught 6/721 and some dork before him did a butcher job on a nice stock.Makes he sick every time I look at it, but if it was good enough for dad, good enough for me because it shoots lights out! Will try to find the pics this weekend.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back