More road closures

the link isnt working but its probly about 3985 miles of roads being shut down this june in the wallolla/whit man national forest in n e oregon,,,,,I oppose this as alot of that forest in particular already does not have an over abundance of roads in it,,,it has one of oregons largest wildernesses in it already limiting alot of area for recreation,,,I think they should leave it the way it is,,,,if you agree please let the wallowa /whitman forest people know you are opposed to the road closures,,,,this is just more government trying to keep us "the general public" out of the woods,,,,there really needs to be areas for people to recreate and hunt.

I was trying to find a map of what roads are being closed and only could find the general Vicinity map that didn't give any specifics.

If you have a link to some maps down to road level it would be interesting to see which roads are affected. I think enforcement is going to be real tough, and it will just encourage more people to break the law.

Depending on the roads closed this could help elk though quite a bit if they can get 2 miles from an active road on all sides.

I do agree that its just gonna make alot more people break the law,,,they dont even have any maps released to the public yet,,,try { www.fs.usda.gov/wallowa-whitman} and let them know this isnt right!Us public hunters need to raise #*&%$ about this.

Me and most of the general public have no idea whitch of nearly 4000 miles of roads they are closing but i would guess it would be alot of any {branch} roads??? wallowa/whitman is in northeast oregon,,,one of oregons largest national forest areas,,, this would impact Minam,catherine creek,pine creek,keating,imnaha,chesnimus,sled springs,wenaha,mount emily and starkey hunt units in oregon,,,a large portion of the n e oregon area.

this is just more government trying to keep us "the general public" out of the woods,,,,there really needs to be areas for people to recreate and hunt.

You'll find very few sympathizers here, especially with this rational. Using your ATV as the proverbial crutch for hunting is a pretty lame stance to road closures. I have no dog in your fight, but I lived in OR, I'd be in support of the road closures 100%.

Please explain how closing a road is keeping you out of the forest. The lack of roads requires one, and only one thing to use those 'locked up' public lands... effort. I have a 500,000 acre state park less than half a mile from my door. It has ZERO roads/ATV trails and is used by thousands of people every day. It's rare to run into anyone who thinks it needs a road or two punched through it, so more can enjoy it. Even those who don't use it, enjoy the fact of knowing it's there and they could. I cheer every time I see another ATV trail/road closed.

You can spare me the rhetoric of the old, tired, sick and helpless "needing" an ATV to get around and enjoy life. In the 15 years I've been following the ATV debate, I've yet to hear from someone who is actually on that side of the argument. Seems like there are a lot of folks looking out for a group that doesn't want or need your help.

I think enforcement is going to be real tough, and it will just encourage more people to break the law.

I do agree that its just gonna make alot more people break the law

I thought all ATV'ers obeyed the law? Up here they always stay on the trail, turn around when it gets too muddy, and only make new roads when its an emergency.

If you get caught breaking the rules, it should be mandatory confiscation. If you're hunting, you should loose your license for 20 years. IMO an ATVer who breaks the law is no better than a poacher.

Depending on the roads closed this could help elk though quite a bit if they can get 2 miles from an active road on all sides.

Most of this area has so many roads that you can only get 2 miles from one? That's sad... whats more sad is people protecting it.

I'm at a loss as to how a public lands hunter would be against this.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/wallowa-whitman/news-events/?cid=STELPRDB5358187

The Wallowa-Whitman National Forest (WWNF) has released the new Travel Management Plan, which will guide changes to motor vehicle use on public lands.

The WWNF Travel Management Plan will:
Balance motor vehicle access and recreation, while still protecting forest resources.
Improve the quality of motorized trails, including creating loop routes and managed jeep and motorcycle trails.
Expand motor vehicle opportunities in high-priority areas such as Breshears trail system, Winom-Frazier trail system, Spring Creek and trails around Sumpter.
Protect threatened and endangered fish and their habitat.
Improve big game security in 17 critical elk habitat areas.
Improve non-motorized recreation and hunting opportunities

Bambistew---You are my kind of thinker. Great post that I heartily support! Just looking at the synopsis of the TMP you posted, it looks like it has been well thought out and will be positive for any diverse users of the ecosystem up there. It's a darn shame that a guy won't be able to drive right in to an elk pasture and shoot a bull off the handlebars!!!

Last edited:
How long are Oregon's hunting seasons? The more access you have the shorter the season. Bank on that. If you have less motorized travel, its harder for the lazy hunters to get to the game, they then can tolerate longer seasons. I feel it's selfish upon the ATV crowd to demand that all those roads stay open so you can drive your machine anywhere you want too. While others would rather have longer seasons, more game, and are willing to walk or ride a horse.

Drive your ATV, but don't expect it to co exist with hunting, live with less game, and shorter seasons.

dan.kirkpatrick;2224497 said:
limiting alot of area for recreation[/B],,,I think they should leave it the way it is,,,,if you agree please let the wallowa /whitman forest people know you are opposed to the road closures,,,,this is just more government trying to keep us "the general public" out of the woods,,,,there really needs to be areas for people to recreate and hunt.

Thanks, I will be letting the Wallowa/Whitman know that I fully support their efforts to manage their forests for the benefit of all users, not just fat-assed ATV riders. That is crazy that they are going to leave another 2000 miles of roads untouched.

You would think that nobody in Oregon owns a pair of boots.....

Shoots Straight,
General Archery starts Aug 25-Sept 23 for Deer and Elk, Deer/ Rifle runs from Sept 29-Oct 10,Elk Rifle starts Oct 24-28 then 2nd season Nov. 3-11. They also have cow hunts and muzzle loader hunts later in the year.
Hope this is helpful, they don't make it easy.

Shoots Straight,
General Archery starts Aug 25-Sept 23 for Deer and Elk, Deer/ Rifle runs from Sept 29-Oct 10,Elk Rifle starts Oct 24-28 then 2nd season Nov. 3-11. They also have cow hunts and muzzle loader hunts later in the year.
Hope this is helpful, they don't make it easy.

When you have lots of people, (as Oregon does) and lots of roads (as Oregon does) then your not going to have long hunting seasons. (As Oregon doesn't).

This is not about "fat assed atv riders",,,this is about the closing of many roads to ANY moter vehicle,not just atvs,,,I as a hunter actually do most of my hunting personally on foot,,,but think that closing alot of the more primative roads in this area in particular will congregate alot of people to the main roads only,,,I and im sure many other people like to get there camps out to as remote of areas that they can before they set out on foot hunting,,,this closure again effects ALL MOTER VEHICLES,,,whitch obviously includes trucks,rvs,ect,,,not just atvs.

just because i do have a atv in my picture does not mean that thats the only way i get around!! I only use my atv where allowed,,,I do most of my hunting on foot actually,,,and use my quad to save wear and tear on my pick up,.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back