Vortex viper

KRasmussen

I am in the market for a new scope and am seriously considering the Vortex Viper HS in 4-16x44 to top a Howa 7mm rem mag. I was curious of others here have the scope and how has it performed? I will also be looking into the custom turret after I finish final load development.
I have also looked into the Leupold and have owned Leupold in the past, but am not a big fan.
I would like true field use opinions from others here who have the scope.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product...nge-riflescope-with-dead-hold-bdc-moa-reticle

I do not personally own one but have had the opportunity to be around and use one the last couple months. I have a young man from work that wanted to be more proficient at longer distances and he asked if I would help him get going in that direction. He bought a new vortex, new rifle etc. and started from scratch. I found the scope to have better than avg. optics at low light levels. Once we got his rifle up running I found the vortex to track/repeat perfectly.

For the price I was very impressed.

This young man did use this setup to take four animals this fall. Although his farthest shot was only 400 yds and change he was very pleased with what he got for his money.

KRasmussen, I have the same scope on a Rem 700 in 300RUM, I love the scope. My son has a Viper (non-HS) on his Howa 1500 and is a big fan as well. I highly recommend the custom turret and using your zero-stop shims. The scope is great optically. At the range and hunting I've had great results running the elevation turret up and down and returning to zero perfectly. Just for the record I also have scopes from Leupold & Nikon and I'm a fan of those two brands also, but I found a good deal on another Viper HS and bought it just to have on hand for my next rifle. I'm sure there are guys who would argue against Vortex, but personally I'm a believer.

I just bought a new vortex viper pst 6-24x50 with the first focal plane with the MOA illuminated reticle and the thing is amazing i Love It. I will be buying lots more votex products in the future

The new scope is ordered as well as some new rings. I cannot wait, its gonna be like Christmas in March

I just bought a new vortex viper pst 6-24x50 with the first focal plane with the MOA illuminated reticle and the thing is amazing i Love It. I will be buying lots more votex products in the future

i bought the same one last year. liked it so much just bought another. hopefully its on my door today. this time i did just get the second focal plane tho. not sure i prefer one over the other yet.

you cant go wrong with the PST, the HS is a good one too.

Just recently got turned on to Vortex. Bought a 6.5-20x50 MD Viper for a .300 WM, and stole a new 4-16x44 HS Viper on ebay a few days ago for my .270 WSM. Took the .300 to the range the other day it and the scope just flat perform. Anyone had the custom turrets done by Vortex?

Just recently got turned on to Vortex. Bought a 6.5-20x50 MD Viper for a .300 WM, and stole a new 4-16x44 HS Viper on ebay a few days ago for my .270 WSM. Took the .300 to the range the other day it and the scope just flat perform. Anyone had the custom turrets done by Vortex?

I'm a big fan of the custom turrets. I have got them from both Vortex and Kenton Industries, I like them both but I like the one from Vortex more. My suggestion is get really accurate load data for your rifle and ammo, then get the turret from Vortex and go test it out!

The new 4-16x44HS LR arrived today and I must say I am impressed. I really like the eye relief.The glass is crystal clear through the entire magnification range. I will get it mounted tomorrow and then off to the range. I will probably have to wait for the weekend to get some range time, hopefully that is. It is actually supposed to rain here in Cali this weekend. I wish it wouldn't but we need it really bad.

I took the scope to my local gunsmith to get it mounted and bore sighted. He noticed a slight issue, as I did when I opened the box. There were a few small marks, scratches on the main tube. Long story short, the scope had been previously mounted and the rear tube was crushed and out of round. The scope will not seat properly. So, I called the distributor and they referred me to Vortex. I called Vortex and they emailed a call tag for the scope to be returned. I sent the scope off and received a call from them today. A new scope is on its way!! Definitely 5 star customer service. i just wish the scope I originally received was not damaged.

The HS (not the HS LR models) have one major shortcoming IMO. They have 1"internals in a 30mm tube, i.e. very limited adjustment range of 12 MOA per turn, 50 total for a 30mm tube is weak. A 1" tube VX3 or Conquest have more than that.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back