Zen Ray Binoculars

PFUNK

Looking for some info about the Zen Ray line of optics. I am in the market for some new binoculars and am on a limited budget of around $200. I am looking into getting the Zen Ray ZRS (Summit) in 10x42. I have a buddy who is really happy with a set of Vortex Diamondback's and they have a warranty that is really tough to beat. However, I have heard a lot of good stuff about these Zen Ray ZRS binoculars. I have heard they far out perform what you would expect from them considering their price tag. Unfortunately for me, there are no dealers in the Missoula area so I can't check them out myself. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Im pretty sure that all ZR binoculars have a 30 day return policy. I know my ED3s did. Never even considered it. Cant say anything about the ZRS though.

I bought a pair of the Zen Ray ZRS last year in 8x42. I love them. Great glass for the money. I think I paid $185 for them and I have been very impressed.

my wife and I each have a pair of the ZRS and three buddies do as well. Good glass for the price. another buddy of mine that I hunt with a lot has the Nikon Manarchs and the ZRS seems to perform slightly better but they are very close in comparison.

Get with Schmalts and check out Theron Optics. I did and bought Theron instead of Zens. As good or better glass for less money. He gives discounts to Hunttalkers as well.

I too bought the ZRS last year and really liked them. For your price range, they will be very difficult to beat.

Get with Schmalts and check out Theron Optics. I did and bought Theron instead of Zens. As good or better glass for less money. He gives discounts to Hunttalkers as well.

I've never had the zens but the Theron glass in that price range is impressive.
Schmalts is a member on here and very good to work with.

I got a pair of Zen ZRS 10x42 last year, and they are great glass for the price. You won't be disappointed. Throw them in an FHF Bino Pouch, and your ready to go! Good luck!

Thanks for all the prompt input guys. Sounds like the Zen Ray line is pretty well liked by their owners. I will get in touch with Schmalts about the Theron Optics line. I have not heard much about them and am ready to be educated a little. Anybody been able to do side by side comparisons of the Theron and Zen Ray?

I have a pair of Zen Ray ED2 10x43mm and a pair of ED3 10x43mm and one of their 20-60 82mm ED2 spotting scopes as well.

I like them. I've never used the Theron stuff though.

Thanks for all the prompt input guys. Sounds like the Zen Ray line is pretty well liked by their owners. I will get in touch with Schmalts about the Theron Optics line. I have not heard much about them and am ready to be educated a little. Anybody been able to do side by side comparisons of the Theron and Zen Ray?

Schmalts will give you the straight skinny. Here is a comparison review in the mean time.

http://www.opticstalk.com/theron-wapiti-apoed_topic27141.html

Schmalts will give you the straight skinny. Here is a comparison review in the mean time.

http://www.opticstalk.com/theron-wapiti-apoed_topic27141.html

I look forward to hearing back from Schmalts... hopefully sometime soon as I am itching to get some glass sent my way! That was a very thorough review you linked. The Wapiti APO-ED sounds like a very nice binocular. Two things I am looking for seem to be strengths.... sharp clarity and low light performance. Unfortunately, that binocular runs about $100 more than I am allowing myself to spend. Kinda wishing I hadn't bought a new ice fishing suit now, but I was in sore need of it. I know binoculars are not something you want to skimp on and can last a very long time if well cared for, but being a full time student really means a limited budget. Thanks for the input.

The wapitis are very good glass for the dough. I snagged a pair from Pat to ease some of the wear and tear on my swaros but my son has indefinitely borrowed them...very clear all the way to the edge, easy to focus...liked em.

PM sent, lets see what we can come up with for you. I may have a factory sample that may be of interest to you

Just as you all stated, Schmalts was very helpful in my search for optics. He shared some insight and made me some great offers on what sound to be very nice binoculars. Needless to say, my tight budget was definitely a limiting factor for me, and I ended up going with the Zen Ray ZRS. In the future though, when I have more money to spend, I will definitely be getting in touch with Schmalts whenever I decide to make an optics purchase. A very helpful optics man with prices that I am sure very few places can match. Thanks to all who offered advice. I will let you know what I think of the ZRS when it arrives.

Well the Zen Ray ZRS arrived today and I had a little while to give it a run down. I must say I am very impressed with the image quality from these binoculars. There are some things I like and some things I don't care for. I compared them to my buddy's vortex diamondback 10x42's. I think the clarity and edge sharpness goes to the Zen Ray. I also think they are slightly brighter than the Vortex. I did not like the eye cups nearly as much as the ones on the Vortex. The vortex has rounded eye cups that are much more comfortable. Also, the focus wheel on the vortex and the hinge were a little stiffer, which I actually preferred over the Zen Ray. The focus wheel on the ZRS had more "play" in it. I also noticed that the Zen Ray seemed to cause a little more eye strain than the vortex did. I may not have the diopter adjusted correctly, or at least that's what I am hoping. I was thinking it may also be that my eyes were sensitive to the increased brightness, and this was irritating them. I wouldn't normally assume this, but my eyes are very light sensitive. I suppose it could also have been caused because I was switching back and forth between the two binoculars. Overall, I am impressed, but if they continue to bother my eyes, they may end up going back. I have a couple more weeks to test them so only time will tell.

Last edited:
Eye strain should not be something to deal with because your eyes are trying to compensate for something. Either they are not the right bino for you, not collimated properly, or are not adjusted well is my guess. If you strain now just checking them out you may end up with headaches after some long days of glassing as it can wear on you.

Eye strain should not be something to deal with because your eyes are trying to compensate for something. Either they are not the right bino for you, not collimated properly, or are not adjusted well is my guess. If you strain now just checking them out you may end up with headaches after some long days of glassing as it can wear on you.

Schmalts.... I couldn't agree more about not letting yourself put up with eye strain. It is something I would not tolerate having as I could not stand any extended glassing session if eye strain kept occurring. I have been able to test these out more over the last week and I have not noticed the eye strain occurring like it did the first day I used these binos. I can only assume it was happening because I was switching back and forth between two different binoculars and my eyes weren't appreciating it. In any case, I have been very pleased with the Zen Ray's and will be holding onto them. They are very very good in low light and the image is sharp for the price point of the binoculars. One more month and I can give them the true test while bear hunting. Can't wait.

Back