Howa triggers

KRasmussen

I have a Howa 1500 in 7mm rem mag and have enjoyed shooting the gun the past year. It is accurate, sub-moa, and I really like the Hogue stock. I am however, not jumping for joy with regards to the trigger. The original factory trigger did have a fair amount of creep and some over-travel. Not being a gunsmith and not wanting to screw it up I did have a local 'smith do a "trigger job." While it did improve the feel it is not what I would like.

I am considering dropping in a Timney. Has anyone here done a Timney on the Howa? Was it worth it and would you do it again?

The new rifles have what is called the Howa Accuator Controlled Trigger. I like them a ton.

Here is an independent review.

http://outwriteoutdoors.com/howa-unveils-actuator-trigger

Thanks Randy. Do you know if the trigger is available as a part from Legacy? I also wonder if the cost would be competitive with Timney. The main concern I have is that it is a new design and not yet proven to be successful. Any idea if any of the other manufacturers are using this design?

Edit update....I emailed Legacy and their response " We have not got the new triggers yet. The best think to do is order a Timney."

Last edited:
Ordered and received a new Timney. 5 minutes from start to finish. I is definitely a drop in replacement. It took longer to get the required tools than to install it. Once installed the safety is just like the factory, 3 position and the pull is factory set at 3#. Pull is crisp with NO over travel. I can't wait to get to the range. I think this is a must do for anyone with an older Howa or Vanguard with the factory trigger.

I have a weatherby vanguard (Howa). It is about 7 years old and I hated the trigger. I bought a Timney. Simple drop in and about 5 minutes. I have the trigger set to 2 pounds and it is great. No creep at all. I am setting up a new vanguard with the same trigger.

Last edited:
Great advice! I have a Vanguard and have spent way too much time trying to get it adjusted and still don't like it. I think I will order a Timney also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back