Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Sauer 202, safety issue?

devon deer

Hi Guys,
Just thought i would relay this experience to you i had with a guy shooting with me last week.
We had shot a Fallow deer in the morning and returned to a different farm in the evening to try for a Red Stag.
I got the guy into position waiting for the deer to appear out of the woods, as he opened his sticks to rest the rifle on his .308 Sauer 202 discharged, scaring the crap out of me and him, the rifle was pointing at an angle of about 30 degrees, thankfully the bullet would have landed in a field (on another farm) about a mile away, it did have sheep in but i didnt see any go belly up!
I have a Sako and Browning and its alsmost impossible to accidently release the safety.
But when i looked at the Sauer its safety is a small button just in front of the trigger, to let off the safety all you need to do is push it up, i think as he placed the rifle on the sticks it caught the safety button and the trigger at the same time.
From now on nobody is coming hunting with me with a chambered round until we see a deer.
Cheers
Richard
ps. i just realised this my 100th post, i am now a 'senior member' both on this forum and in life!

Last edited:
I never carry a rifle with a round in the chamber when I'm around others and I try to sway others to do the same. I do have one in when I'm by myself or when on a final stalk to avoid any noise with the bolt, but it does require that much more awareness when doing so.

I never carry a rifle with a round in the chamber when I'm around others and I try to sway others to do the same. I do have one in when I'm by myself or when on a final stalk to avoid any noise with the bolt, but it does require that much more awareness when doing so.

Firstly, by the lack of views not many of you guys own a Sauer, so in my opinion that is good news.

Topgun, i totally agree, the difference is where and how we hunt.
Hunting in area's like Montana is like hunting in Scotland to some extent, they very often won't chamber a round whilst being guided until the very last minute.
When i am guiding my client is behind me at all times, and his rifle is on his shoulder pointed upwards, we sneak from field to field and very often get close to the deer, chambering a round would scare off the deer.
But i am not taking anymore risks with clients, even if it does result in an increase in failure.
No rounds chambered untilthe very last minute.
Pop these co-ordinates into google earth and you will see where i hunt
50°44'40.44" N 3°47'20.16" W

Cheers

Richard

I am not familiar with the Sauer rifle, having the safety close enough to the trigger for a discharge seems like a design flaw. Is the safety inside the trigger guard? Nothing should be inside there, especially ones booger hook unless you are ready to shoot. You sure this guys finger wasn't on the trigger and had a negligent discharge?

Disclaimer: I generally carry my rifle while hunting with a round chambered and the safety on. I also carry a Glock handgun which has no safety, the way I like it :)

I am not familiar with the Sauer rifle, having the safety close enough to the trigger for a discharge seems like a design flaw. Is the safety inside the trigger guard? Nothing should be inside there, especially ones booger hook unless you are ready to shoot. You sure this guys finger wasn't on the trigger and had a negligent discharge?

Disclaimer: I generally carry my rifle while hunting with a round chambered and the safety on. I also carry a Glock handgun which has no safety, the way I like it :)

Yes the safety button is in front of the trigger within the trigger guard, apparently when the button gets pushed up a button on the rear also pops indicatingits ready to fire, see http://www.shooting-center.de/lwrep_e.htm
What i think he did is jam the top of the stick in the trgger guard, this pushed up the button, as he pulled it out,bang!:eek:
By the way love the comment on the Glock!:D
Cheers
Richard

Yes the safety button is in front of the trigger within the trigger guard, apparently when the button gets pushed up a button on the rear also pops indicatingits ready to fire, see http://www.shooting-center.de/lwrep_e.htm
What i think he did is jam the top of the stick in the trgger guard, this pushed up the button, as he pulled it out,bang!:eek:
By the way love the comment on the Glock!:D
Cheers
Richard

Sure enough it's inside there :eek:, that seems like a pretty bad place to put a safety. I understand the thought process of putting it there but it seems like a bad idea.

I see what you are saying with the shooting stick, even a regular safety that was in the fire position wouldn't have stopped that discharge. Negligent on the part of the shooter any which way you look at it.

Back