MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Trekking poles

Bambistew

My current poles pretty much are bananna shapped, I'm looking to get a new set. I currently have a no frills set of Black Diamond, 2 piece with the flick lock. I've abused the hell out of those things for the last 6-7 years and finally bent both of them packing out moose last fall.

I'm concerned about getting a three piece set, I don't feel that they'd be as strong as the 2 piece? Do you think this would be a concern? If I can find the set I currently have I might just go that route again. The shorter ones would be nice for packing though...

Thoughts?

I use the black diamonds at work. I'm on my second set as I bent one avoiding a fall. I used the first set for over 3 years. I cant remember what the first pair was that I had at work, but they were CRAP, lasted about 2-3 months before flying apart.

My personal set is Komperdell titanium 3 piece. They work great, they're light, and I've not bent those up yet.

In fairness, I dont use them as much as I do my Black Diamonds at work.

I dont think any will last forever and I couldnt really recommend either of the ones I use over the other.

Our Costco had a really nice looking pair last summer. I wonder if they will get any back this spring? I was using some cheap jobbers from Walmart. They are 3 peicers and I got 2 years out of them. I fell and snapped part of one off and having an extra 2 pieces allowed me to modify it with the leatherman to help me with packing out the sheep. I will keep my eyes open on those costco ones. It seems no matter what pole you choose the rubber pieces on the ends get sucked off in the rocks and tundra.

I just started using a pair of Leki's. They have worked well, my boss has used them for years and says they hold up extremely well.

I have the black diamond ones as well. While they may not be the best out there, everyone I know has them. So when they are not paying attention I just switch out my scratched up bent ones with theirs. Chances are they will never notice the difference.

I've put quite a few miles on my black diamonds up and down the AK mountains, so far they've held up. I have taken a few falls with a hefty back and landed on the poles, no bends or breaks yet. My experience has been folks seem to like the flick lock design of the BDs over the twist lock design other trekking poles have.

I have some Komperdell C3's which are carbon. I've had them since 2007, and no serious problems. I've had a small issue with the locks on occasion, but nothing I haven't been able to fix in the field. I have heard a small "crack" a couple of times when I've gotten them wedged in the rocks, but they have held up. I don't even know if they make the C3 anymore. They are super light...about a pound for the pair.

I have a pair of Leki's which have worked well. I just wish they were flip locks and not twist locks. Don't let a mule step on them, it keeps them from telescoping down. Or don't leave them leaning against a truck tire! :D

Is there anyplace that you can buy the rubber ends to put back on the ends in bulk or something?

I prefer mine with the rubber end over the sharp metal point, especially on rocky terrain, but sounds like I'm not alone in losing mine. I meant to use some locktite on the threads, but lost mine before I had a chance.

You would think that you could pick up a dozen of them for a twenty dollar bill or something somewhere.

Not if you don't want them to look like a banana! I wish I would have taken a photo..... ;)
We should have! :D My son loves it though, he's made it into everything from a fishing pole to a rifle to a sword...

I got a replacement tip for mine from REI, but that was for the whole tip. If you're just wanting to cover the carbide point, I wonder if some of that rubber tool handle dip would work. It'd definitely wear off, but would be easy/cheap to reapply. Another thought would be to see if a local truck bed liner place would coat the lower 1' of the pole. :cool:

Dont laugh , for three years i have used hickory saplings . I never lose a tip,the locks dont break. they dont make noise in the rocks or if bumped on dead fall.I only use them packing a camp in ,or an animal out.I hadn't thought about it till know but i just weighed them and one was 1lb 2oz, the other is 1lb 4oz. OLD SCHOOL !

I found the ones I currently have, and they're on close out for $37. Probably order up a couple pair.

I don't think I've ever had the rubber tips for my poles, so can't say that losing them was an issue. I usually use the snow baskets as well, the smaller ones allow the poles to sink in 4-8" when crossing through the squishy stuff, which can be the majority of the time. It makes it a real PITA when you're moving forward and your arm is just about ripped off. The bigger baskets hang up on the brush a bit more, but I usually don't need poles when I'm bushwhacking. Maybe the rubber tips would help this?

How do you guys 'use' your poles? Do you load your wrist with the strap or just grip and go? I find if I load my wrist, I can put about 3x as much weight on them. I really don't hold on to them with much force.

I use the wrist strap when packing loads, but just use my hands when using them to help my fat arse get somewhere.

Back