Caribou Gear

Wounded Warriors need our help

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I have been contacted by a person who works with the Wounded Warrior Project. For those of you not familiar with this amazing project, here is a link.

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

They have many members who are recently retired or will be retiring, due to combat related injuries. Many of these Wounded Warriors are hunters, just like we are.

Prior to asking me some questions, the email contained this comment, which I think explains why those Wounded Warriors are seeking information from the self-guided hunters who hang out on Hunt Talk.

"All of us were wounded overseas and are either being retired from the military or have been retired by the military. Thus we can not afford to hunt with guides. We are not scared of doing our homework and going it alone. This is why I am reaching out to you."

So, they are asking for ideas that might help these Wounded Warriors in their search for hunts they can do On Their Own. All of us make it our second job to research these opportunities. We share a ton of information with each other here. If any group can be of help to them, I think it would be the guys hanging out on Hunt Talk.

I thought if we started this thread, their members could log in, or just lurk, and read the ideas Hunt Talkers think would be the best options for these guys to consider.

Thanks to them, and all of you, who are serving/have served our country. I am without enough words to adequately describe my gratitude. The least I can do is help them find some places to go enjoy the same pleasure I have - that being described by Theodore Roosevelt as "The Sturdy Pleasure of the Chase."

Thanks in advance for any ideas or thoughts you can add to what I provided them in my email reply.

Oryx hunting in New Mexico would be a great hunt and they have hunts that are just for returning Irag/Afghanistan veterans. They can apply for those hunts or normal on range once and a life hunts or even off range. I am not a guide by any means but if they were to draw a tag and would like assistance from a local that has a lot of experience hunting oryx I would love to help out in any way that I can. I know the initial tag can be pricey for a non resident but all they would have to do is draw and I would do the rest.

Thanks!
Kevin

A Missouri River Breaks cow hunt would be a fun time. Relatively easy terrain as far as elk are concerned. Excellent odds for harvesting a cow. A good place to see a few bulls for those who have never seen one. Giant rams to drool over. Good fishing and bird hunting once you tag out.

I know there are more people than we think with ranches and land that are willing to help out disabled and those who have been wounded. I wouldn't overlook the private land connections that many have. I know one landowner that has mentioned doing something like this to help them out without charge.

if any of them would be willing to put in for idaho tags would find the time to take em and if I cant I have a retired dad who knows SE Idaho like the back of his hand...........

Also there are plenty of guides that I am sure would open up their doors to wounded vets I know of a houndsman that would take any wounded vet free of charge if I was there

Last edited:
Since members of the military have never been listed in the higher economic ranks of our citizenry, a trust fund could be established with volunteer staffing and administration of funds to help pay for tags, fees, lodging, guides, transportation and other expenses incurred by those members of our military who have given so much. I know that there are several grassroot groups out there now doing just that, but they are too few and reach all too few Vets. Funding could come from donations from us and our friends, sponsors, veterans organizations, etc. Just think how much a 1/2% tax on hunting related sporting goods would generate toward that end.

Food for thought.

Arkansas has cheap over the counter tags , for deer, spring turkey. Millions of acres of public ground. I would love to help a wounded vet in any way. Can help point someone in the right direction ,or even assist on the ground. I know this is not the western hunt that many would dream of,but might be something that someone in the eastern half of the country would find more convenient . If any wounded warrior, or anyone who knows one thinks this is something they would like to pursue P.M.me.

Big Fin this is great, when i got out of the Marine Corps I sought out something more of a challenging hunt and have ended up a follower of your show and pursuing this style of hunting.

I think a good idea may be a forum that people list their areas of experince and contact info. Get the wounded warriors the link and they would have different people they could email about say a hunt in NM for antelope. Either way i think it is awesome what you are doing for these warriors.

Example
Jo Bob
Live in montana
Have hunted elk, mule deer and antelope in New mexico
Whitetail and turkeys in Montana
Email address is [email protected]

Print out the application below.

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/apps_permit/documents/Form_MI.pdf

Take it to your Dr. and have him fill it out. Send it to NM game and fish, as soon as you have your mobility impaired card study the draw odds. There are gauranteed hunts for non resident mobility impaired hunters for both deer and elk. NM has mobility impaired hunts in some of there best elk units. Unit 16a rifle elk for example is less than 5% chance of draw for resident and non resident alike. With a mi card it is close to 25% draw for a non res without a guide. These hunts are also held between archery and rifle during prime rutting time. There are a few things that a mi hunter can do that the general public can not. You can shoot out the window of your truck, you can send a designated helper to finish off and take care of an animal obviously wounded by you, and best of all you can draw a tag every year if you study a little bit.;)

Very cool Fin. I got to take part in helping a young marine this fall with terminal cancer. There were many guys that i came across here in MT that were willing to allow wounded vets hunt their property. I would suggest that any of them looking to hunt in MT to just push forward and make phone calls to different landowners and see if they would accomodate such a hunt. Good luck to all you vets, my hats off to all of you! There are some good contacts just on this site that may be able to get you in touch with some of those people.

A very worthwhile cause, we have a similar charity over here in the UK called Help for Heroes and runs along the same lines as wounded warriors.
I donated my revenue raised through guided sea trout (like a steel head) fishing in 2011 to them.
They deserve all the help they can get.

Cheers
Richard

Check with the state game agencies to see what they offer in terms of free or reduced cost licenses. Most states have been enacting some sort of license for returning/wounded vets.

Good point Ben...I know in Wyoming you can transfer a hunting license to disabled/wounded vets, just passed last year.

Of course, WYSFW was leading the charge to stop it...I kid you not!

Good point Ben...I know in Wyoming you can transfer a hunting license to disabled/wounded vets, just passed last year.

No money changing hands. Tough to get a cut of a free transfer.

Since members of the military have never been listed in the higher economic ranks of our citizenry, a trust fund could be established with volunteer staffing and administration of funds to help pay for tags, fees, lodging, guides, transportation and other expenses incurred by those members of our military who have given so much. I know that there are several grassroot groups out there now doing just that, but they are too few and reach all too few Vets. Funding could come from donations from us and our friends, sponsors, veterans organizations, etc. Just think how much a 1/2% tax on hunting related sporting goods would generate toward that end.

Food for thought.

If there is any way we can help any vet thru this website, I's be willing to help. There is a group from Pittsville WI that annually takes kids on bear hunts that might be able to help. If I remember correctly it is called National Shooting Sports Foundation. Wi hunters who draw a tag can donate it to this group and they take care of everything. I would think they'd be willing to lend a hand. Also, from Willard WI, there is an annual handicapped hunt and special season I believe. If anyone would want or need info on this group pm me and I can find out full details. The handicapped hunt if for whitetail.

Oh please! Your just a hater.;) I'm going to ask DonP if you are lieing. :D

Would love to see you post up some evidence on MM. That's my go to spot for UFC fighting:D

That has got to be one of the sickest things I've read.

These men and women fighting for our freedom, and then these jokers trying to interfere. Makes you want to go to the expo and kick em in the nads.

Not quite as sick as what happened over here, i guy popped up on a forum with a name incorporating the word 'heroes' (i wont say the actual name as its too close to a legitimate charitable name) he said he was in the process of applying for charitable status (thats the law in the UK) so all well meaning fly fishermen donated loads of tackle for him to use in relation to him 'guiding' the heroes, then the same guy started selling the tackle on another forum, not sure what happened in the end but he was banned immediately, but what an absolute toe rag he was, these guys put their lives on the line and this scum bag makes money out of it, words fail me.
Richard

Kudos to you Big Fin - great cause.

Can't help on your western hunting, but if a wounded Vet was interested in some Missouri Bass Fishing or Spring Turkey hunt, believe I could get him taken care of with a few calls.

Lawnboy,

Here it is directly from Bob Wharff...executive dipchit of WYSFW:

"In fact, none of the groups which you mentioned spoke out against the bill. WY SFW was the only group which testified against the bill (SF0063)."

Heres the bill:

SF0063

inShare.

WY Legislature Page for SF0063 - PermaLink
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary
Sponsors
Texts
Votes
Research
Priori
Comments (0)
Status

View latest bill text (Enrolled) [PDF]
Completed Legislative Action
February 18 2011 - Assigned Chapter Number

Summary

AN ACT relating to game and fish; providing for donation of big game licenses and for reissuance to disabled veterans; providing for rules and regulations; providing for exemption from fees and other requirements; and providing for an effective date.

Yep, thats WYSFW saving the day!

But, they didnt have any problem trying to get transferable landowner tags and also outfitter sponsored licenses in Wyoming either.

When I told Wharff he wrong to oppose the bill this is his reply:

"For all the chit I catch about this stuff I thought it was ironic that WY SFW was the only group which opposed this law. I was too busy with the wolf stuff in DC when it passed out of the Senate. I only had an opportunity to work on it on the House side and not enough time.

As I stated earlier, this does set the precedence for transferable licenses though.

I would also argue that there is always a way for someone to benefit from this. That is one reason why I opposed it. It might not be a direct benefit but indirect benefits are hard to demonstrate but can happen none-the-less. "

Really? What kind of a scum-bag would attempt to "profit" from transfering a license to a disabled vet? How would they "profit"...dont see it.

That group is off the charts ridiculous...

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back