Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Elevation and Ballistics

Flatrock

Does elevation affect ballistics much? If a guy had his rifle sighted in perfectly at sea level, is there going to be a noticeable difference at 10,000 feet? I'm sure that bullet drop will be affected, but for the average shot out to 300 yards or so, is it even worth worrying about?

Depends on caliber and bullets.............i wouldn't worry about it with most out to three hundred at all. However, if you were going to be shooting 500+ you definately will be affected....

In a word, yes. Less air pressure. Less air molecules. Less drag. In any form of practicality, especially at 300 yards? No.

Emrah

I agree...nothing to worry about.

I ran the numbers through a ballistics program and for a 250yd zero, POI at 10,000 feet was only .2" higher at 100 yards compared to sea level

Thanks guys. That's basically what I thought. My shooting error will affect my accuracy much more than a little bit of altitude.

I did a comparison on the ballistic calculator at gseven.com with a 7mm rem mag. At 500 yds there is 3" of drop and that is with a Berger 168 gr VLD running at 3000fps. I dont think I would worry too much about it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back