Badlands 2800

IdahoDawg

I really struggled trying to buy the right pack for backcountry hunting. i wanted something that would carry my gear (sleeping bag, pad, tent, stove, rifle, misc) and serve me well hunting out of the spike camp. I also wanted it to be able to carry at least a good portion of my deer while hauling out most of my gear. some were too big, some too small, some had terrible frames and harnesses. Well i finally settled on the Badlands 2800, and i tell you, it performed well. You have to use high end backpacking gear, and you have to get creative with your packing; but it worked better than expected. just got back from a 4 day backcountry hunt and i am proud to say that i hauled out everything i hauled in minus a little food, but i had an addition of two idaho wolf pelts. very pleased. if you are struggling with pack choices like i did, i would suggest trying this one.

My experience was completely opposite with that pack. I ripped it twice hauling elk quarters, and even though Badlands fixed it for free it still cost me shipping. I can't recommend this pack for anyone who intends to haul anything over 30 lbs. It ripped in the same spot on buddy who has one as well.

I have now used my Black's Creek Bounty hunter a ton and like it much better, but it doesn't quite fit right as I am 6'5". My pack this past deer hunt was over 100lbs, and this last elk hunt 85 even. No breaks at all so tough stuff, but doesn't make it fit great.

Guys on this forum warned me about Badlands stuff, and I have to agree. They advertise that it is tough, and they will fix it if you break it, but how many times must they fix it?

I am debating taking the plunge on a MR 6500 or the Kifaru Longhunter 7200 for all of my back country hunting from here on out. Plenty of space for the gear, and leave 30 % open for the meat on the pack out. I also like that Kifaru asks for measurements and builds the pack then and there.

Sorry to be a downer but that was my experience.

I know mystery ranch rules the roost around here, but I'm a very happy owner of a Badlands Superday. I've had it for a couple of years now and have been very pleased; great bang for the buck as they say.

Plus one on the wolf pelt photo request.

I'm glad you're have good luck with the pack, but I'm another one of those guys more interested in the wolves. Got any pics you can post? Congrats on a great hunt.

i could see why you might not do well hauling big elk quarters, but it most definitely hauls more than 30 lbs. i hauled what i estimate to be at least 70 lbs for 6 miles no problem. we'll see if it lasts though. i hope so.

I have seen a lot of love for the MR packs on this site, but I dont have any personal experience with them. On the other hand, I own the BL 2200, 2800, and 4500 packs. I love the 2800 for a day pack but even hauling out a front shoulder is a little unfcomfortable, but not bad. It is my normal elk hunting pack. The 2200 handles hauling meat better than the 2800, but I dont like it as a daypack as much as the 2800...the 2800 is easier to organize. My wife now uses the 2200 when we hunt together. The 4500 is what I use for backpacking and deer hunting. I usually deer hunt alone on days off and I can fit an entire deer in the pack and get off the mountain in one trip. I also use my 4500 for packing elk meat. I have loved my BL packs, but have had an occasional buckle break, and the zipper pulls sometimes break...a real pain in the ass, but not really a big deal.

I have a Badlands 2200 and a Super Day pack and both work great for me with no problems. I just came back from a 5 day elk hunt in Colorado and hauled plenty of gear in my 2200. It was very comfortable and roomy.

I have 3 friends with Badlands packs also with no issues. I think Badlands are excellent packs.

I have the badlands 2800 and really enjoy it. It has hauled out hams and shoulders without a problem.It fits very comfortably and the outside pouches make a perfect holding area for spotting scope and tripod. The ability to sling a bow or rifle back there is a plus as well. I have a recent 2800 with the pistol holster built in on both sides of the hip belt and that is a great relief. It has the H2O pack that holds a great qty of water. In all - It has more then ample room for anything I have done - aside from a "backpacking trip" (i.e. 5+ days in with the pack holding everything)

Only aspects I would like to see differently is:

1. The H2O bladder is a lame design for clipping and holding in place. I think the bladder holder could have been placed in a better setting. The bladder has 2 clip holes for hanging in the pack on either side, YET there is only one clip to attach to keep her upright. Admittedly I have not had problems due to the wqater bladder slouching off to one side a bit - though seems a better design in that regard would be good.

2. The holsters - while AWESOME to have incorported into the hip belt are a tad bitrecessed rearward - making it tougher to quickly unholster the firearm. It would be nice to see ithe holsters a bit more forward on the hip belt.

I have the same badlands pack and i love it, it has treated me very well over the last 4 years. it has had alot of elk in it and this year it finally broke down on me packing out my friends bull might of had to much in it but it still is one of the best pack i have owned. thinking of up grading to the KUIU ICON 6000 my hunting buddy has one and those things are great. i know it does not fit the mold on here but they are really nice packs... just my 2 cents:D

I shot a good sized cow this year and my buddy and I split the load equally. 1/2 in his 2200 and 1/2 in my 2800. We did the same thing last year as well. We have also hauled out around 12 deer with them and no problems whatsoever!

Back