Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Episode #10 - Arizona Rifle Elk

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Airing this week will be Uncle Larry's Arizona elk hunt from last year. I have seen it and watched it many times in the last week. It is my favorite episode of the entire season. It takes place on State and BLM ground, in one of the 'Limited Opportunity" units of Arizona.

This episode encapsulates everything about why I hunt, and I suspect why most of you hunt. It is about drawing the easiest tag in Arizona, knowing the odds of seeing one are not that great, and the odds of shooting something spectacular are pretty slim. But, you are hunting elk and you are doing so with family and friends with whom you share this special bond found only through hunting.

Larry's hunt was so much fun that I applied there this year and drew. As you read, I did not have the same final outcome that Larry had. The hunt was still fun, though different than it was with Larry last year.

Larry had intended to join me on my hunt this year, but his health has again taken a turn for the unknown. He fought lymphoma in 2006, undergoing ten months of experimental chemo treatments at the MD Anderson Cancer Clinic in Houston, TX. Just prior to my hunt, Larry got news that his lymphoma is back. He did not make the hunt with me, and is headed to Houston for more tests and analysis.

Maybe that is why this episode is so cool to me. Mostly, it is my favorite because it represents the type of hunt a lot of people experience. No premium tag, no exclusive place to hunt, but still more fun than is allowed within the bounds of legality and morality.

If you want to read the play-by-play of the live hunt here is the link.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=243830

I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did. Can't wait to share a camp with Larry again. He is a "one of a kind," making life better for everyone around him and smiling all the time, no matter the situation or circumstance. Hope you all are so lucky as to have an "Uncle Larry" in your lives.

If you want to read the play-by-play of his Season One Wyoming elk hunt where Larry decks a nice bull at 90 yards, here is that link, also.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=242935

wonderful elk episode,,,looked like ya really had to work to locate them,,,low #s per sq mile is tough,,,similar to my n w newmexico deer hunt i struck out on.did you have much for oak brush in that part of ariz?

Just watched a recording of this morning's airing. This was a great episode.

The footage was phenomenal, only out done by the story line of a nephew hunting with his uncle.

Didn't mind the "AHH BRA" commercial either. Much better than the male enhancement commercials that the Outdoor Channel use to slip in.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Red.

If I had one wish, it would be a cure for cancer.

Watched #10 this morning, looked like you guys had a great time!! Sure hope Uncle Larry gets some good news in Houston. Great show Randy.

You are right.....Larry is one of my favorite people to watch on OYOA. He can motivate over some rough country too! It is nice to see a spot and stalk hunt where folks break out of a walk occasionally.

I wish Larry the best in his fight with Lymphoma. From My time with Team in Training, I have come to really admire the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and the job they do to help new drugs come to market. I think that Larry's attitude could be a valuable tool in bringing the story of the survivor and a positive attitude.

great episode, I really agree with the show and wish more people had this outlook on hunting.

Great show. I hope that Larry gets some good news and heals fast after his altercation with the scope. There are many treatment options out there for the lymphoma, hopefully he will respond and be able to make many more episodes with you.

Great show as always... Thoughts go out to Uncle Larry. I hope you get the chance to hunt with him some more and maybe not a bloody nose next time.

hope your uncle larry pulls through as you talked about on your recent montana elk episode,,,everytime hes on a episode ,it looks like you and him are having fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back