Disaster in the gridiron last night

tarheel

Drove upstate to watch my grandson play football last night. He's a bit of a phenomenon for his age; the only sophomore on the team and the starting quarterback. Things were going well with a good lead, he had thrown to the near corner of the end zone for a 47 yd. TD, next possession had to keep on a broken play and avoided several tackle attempts to run it in for a 43 yarder. Several times during the game was heard someone in the opposing stands screaming for their players to "get the quarterback". Midway the third quarter they did just that. A lineman missed a block and allowed a defender through before the exchange who tried to screw my grandson into the ground.

Fractured ankle, conference play starts next week, and the boy is out for the season. He's never been injured before and now this might compromise his chances for a promising future in the game. Now I have to call him in a futile attempt to make him feel better about the situation. Only possible good side; I might now be able to take him hunting this season.

(that title should say "on the gridiron")

Last edited:
Here is to hoping that he heals up in time for next year and comes back with a vengeance! Football is a risky game.

Most teen athletes won't allow nature to take it's course in the healing process. Some things can be sped up and generally bone healing isn't one of them. Encourage him to follow doctors orders for max recovery. I would prescribe lots of blind work for waterfowl and deer!

I totally agree with kansasdad about following doctor's orders. When I played varsity football I would never let injuries heal...just tape them up and take some pain killers and go out to play. Those injuries plague me now, on top of the injuries from Iraq. He's only a sophomore now, so he's still got 2 years to play and get noticed by college scouts...so make sure he lets the injury heal!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back