Tips for Hero Pics

mconway951

hey guys i just picked up a nikon D3100 this summer and am ashamed to say i havent had the time to get out and play with it. Looking for tips on taking the best hero shots i can both camera settings filters lenses and such as well as poses lighting and such. My goal is to help not only myself but maybe all of us can share some tips and tricks to get the best pics of out game we can this year.
Thanks again guys.
Mike

I always make sure I use flash, smile, tuck the tongue, and get low and close.

My buddy and I walked in circles around each other getting multiple shots from every angle. Discard the yucky ones.

From what I have learned here - Get the camera setup about 5-10 feet from the elk or whatever, and situate yourself about 10 feet behind the animal... Some of the pics here would be bruisers regardless the deception... Oh and be sure to clear out anything on the animal, such as bow, rifle, backpack... etc. Don't want anyone to get a "real" idea of the actual size. :D

A few quick ones-

Carry a lightweight tripod with you, or have an adapter for your spotting scope pod. It makes things so much easier and it ensures that you are taking the photo you want, zoomed in correctly, and you are not relying on someone else to interpret what you are thinking.

Take multiple shots to ensure at least one turns out ok. You can always delete with digital, so there is no excuse for not taking more than one.

Learn and understand exposure compensation. Too much to cover in a quick note, but it will help take care of shadows, bright sun, and etc.

Use fill flash on sunny days when shadows are prevalent. Everyone thinks flash only in dim light, but flash in the daytime can really help a picture when the sun is high.

Buy a remote shutter release. This enables you to take photos without having to get up and go to the camera to start the timer. It also allows you to get everything positioned and just push a button.

Carry a small piece of string or a rope to tie the mouth shut on the animal. Heavy rubber bands work as well to keep everything looking clean and together without a tongue or jaw hanging open.

Take the extra five minutes to wipe away any blood. If you want something that looks professional, 5 minutes goes along ways. In a pinch, leaves, pines, and even dirt can make things look so much better.

Use single area focus and dial the focus square onto the animal. Using large area focus averages what is in focus and key features may not be sharp as the focus point could in actuality be behind or in front of you.

Try to make it look as if it's napping and you just snuck (Southern for sneaked) up to pet it. That way PETA won't be camped on your lawn if they see the shots on Youtube or Disgrace Book.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back