New 17 HMR

A-con

On my list of “gun to buy someday”, I have always had a decent quality bolt rimfire.
I sold some archery gear, and decided it was better to spend the money on something that would last, as opposed to steak & beer.

I had about decided on a Savage 93 SS, but I had a chance to handle a CZ 455 American, and it was all over. The feel, weight and balance just fit me, it “feels” like an old favorite the first time you pick it up.

After waiting 10 days (California law) my CZ was ready to be picked up last night.
A set of Burris Signature rings and a Leupold VX III that has been in my safe for years, and I headed out to the field this morning.
My bad luck, the place I used to drive to was fenced off, so I had to walk in and couldn’t take my shooting table.
With no bench to work from, I adjusted the scope off hand, busting dirt clods.
Finally set a target up at 75 yards, and punched a few holes.
The gun has potential, three shots at just over ½ inch at 75 yards, using a pile of dirt to shoot from, I can’t wait to get it on a solid bench.

P10006191.jpg

My custom shooting bench
P1000641.jpg

CCI 17 grain "lead free" bullets ( would not want to poison those condors that don't live within 500 miles).
P1000645.jpg

With the rings, i also picked a basic OTIS cleaning kit, very handy and worked well.

P1000648.jpg

I really like those CZ rimfires. I have two of the .22 LR and they are great little guns. Have fun with it. Cut an empty deprimed 20 gauge shotgun shell in half and place it under the rear bridge in the bolt raceway to use as a cleaning rod guide. It also keeps the boltstop depressed out of the way.

Good looking gun, congrats! I really do like that looks of those.

I could definitely use a good rimfire bolt and the oldest will be ready to shoot soon...

Hey, Dan - I have the 452 Varmint in .17 HMR and it's a nice rifle. It feels substantial and is pretty accurate. It is the second one I've owned, as the first one shot great (even better than the one I have now) but had headspace issues. I sent it back to CZ and they sent me a new one, with a much prettier stock. The funny thing is that the first one liked the 17 gr Hornady ammo best while the new one shoots the 20 gr Hornady round the best. They do seem to shoot better after some break-in, and my new one only has a 100-200 rounds through it.

I think you can get a .22 mag barrel for that, too, and then use the same mags. That was one of the changes from the 452/453 to the 455 - a barrel that is easy to swap.

That's a good looking rifle.
If there's a funner caliber to shoot than the HMR, I haven't found it.

Nice looking boom stick thats on my list of guns to buy someday i dont own a decent rimfire but have wanted one for years and bought my girlfriend one for valentines day last year and she wont let me shoot it so guess i gotta get my own

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back