Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Borrowed Rifle

Hawkeye

To make a long story short we ended up in a situation in which i have had to sell almost all my firearms to make ends meet. All i have left are a couple handguns. I'm not complaining, as some are far worse off than we are. Since i do not have a rifle to hunt with this upcoming season and wont be able to afford to get one, a good friend has offered to lend me one of his. I have never borrowed a rifle before and i don't know why but something just doesn't feel right about it. Would you guys borrow the rifle? Am i just being weird?

I would in a heartbeat...life is too short. I would also loan one...for the same reason.

I was in your shoes at one time. If I remember right it was 89 I had just went through a divorce and had to sell a lot of belongings and Items that meant a lot to me. I borrowed a .223 that year from a friend. It just didn't feel right in my hands. I was worried about harming it. But I had one of the best times in the woods that season as I Think I ever have. I was lucky to tag out and spent the entire season with a friend, that brought me back to life. we both tagged out on two bucks and two does each. I have a riffle here now that is day to me and probably won't hunt with it again. MY friend gave it to me when season was over. I honestly started to cry when he did. I have never felt so humble and appreciative over a gift in my life. Other than my kids, and my wife now.

Hawkeye,

Been in the same situation. I'd borrow it in a heartbeat. Make sure you get enough trigger time before your hunt to make sure you know the rifle well.

That is what friends are for man....at least that is my definition of friend. example - borrowed my friend my 338 UM, and have not seen it in 2 years. (note: if your friend is real particular, something happens, could mean a friendship...people are shiT these days {imo} so if you need to keep the friend = use rocks. if your friend is like me, get out there and have the time of your life b/c your friend will feel great knowing you are smiling!

I agree with the others. It may not feel right only because you haven't sent enough lead downrange!
I have borrowed and I have lent. CAUTION!!!!! Make absolutely sure the firearm is sighted in for you.
On one crisp October morning many years ago I found myself within 50 yards of 2 herd bulls as they fought for the 100 or so cows on the ridge. A nice 7x7 and a bigger 6x6. 17 shots later I was alone on the ridge with a borrowed .308 that shot 4' high at 25 yards! The owner swore it was sighted in-that was little consolation.
Borrow the rifle, sight it in, enjoy the hunt and thank the friend who lent it to ya.

Unless those handguns are super sentimental, I'd sell one or use it as trade to get a rifle. I use a rifle WAY more than I do a handgun. Failing that, take him up on his offer. I've loaned/given stuff to folks in a bind more than once and will again in the future. I've been lucky to not really be in the reverse situation.

Hawkeye, if we were geographically closer I have a great FN commercial mauser in 30-06 which I'd be proud to give you. We've probably all been on tough times at one time or another, and if we can't look after one another when needed, what damned good are we? RT

So far as borrowing a gun, be thankful for friends, accept graciously, look after his gun and just enjoy the hunt.

I would borrow it just make sure you do your best to take good care of it. I don't like to borrow things but if I do I make sure to take good care of it and if it breaks I have to fix or replace it. I have 2 rifles and a muzzle loader loaned out right now too good Buddy's that I trust will take good care of them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses and kind words guys. I am going to borrow the rifle and make damn sure i take care of it. I would do the same for him if he was in that situation. Good luck to all of you this season!

I'd borrow it in a heartbeat if I were in your shoes. I have loaned friends guns to get their kids started out and I have loaned guns to friends who are in your shoes. I am loaning a gun this year to a buddy who asked if I would show him how to hunt, I said hell yes, I'll even let you use one of my guns! But yeah, take care of your buddies gun, and maybe someday you'll be in a better place and have a chance to loan one of your guns to someone who needs a loaner. Have a great season.

My sophmore year of college I went back home during thankgiving to do some deer hunting. Got my deer and season was over.... so left my gun. After hunting elk around bozeman the little I could I still had a tag. Well two weeks later a guy I had just met a month before called me and asked if I wanted go after a late season cow with him. He lent me one of his weatherby rifle and I mean a nice one, almost didnt want to carry it lol. In the end I shot my first elk and he is now one of the best friends I have. Sure wonder if leaving Bozeman was the right choice at times, but long story short yes borrow it! lol good luck

Be a Friend to your Friend. He wouldn't have offered if he didn't want you to enjoy. Don't diss the man. Get some range time and then share a Back Strap with him over some beers.

Ben there man i just went through a divorce and as they say dont have a pot to...well you get the idea borrowed a rifle from an uncle its been long few years and i need the time afeild to get some sanity back. Someday ill repay the favor some way shape or form.
Good luck man let us know how you do.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back