titanium wood stove and Tipi tent / super light weight with heat!

jriggs

it's a totally different direction from most 4 season tents out there and i know a lot of guys use these Tipi style tents...but for some reason i never see any reviews on them...and they're a fantastic option when it comes to lightweight and warm. the titanium cylinder stove is an awesome little critter capable of some serious heat! and it weighs practically nothing! the open floor tipi tents are nice when used in conjunction with the stove and there are some really nice benefits to using the pair when you want to keep cozy up in the highcountry.

one of the things i've always hated about camping in the winter is trying to cram all your gear into the tent to keep it dry and out of the elements. the next thing that has always bothered me was mud and snow getting into a tub bottom tent, you always end up with some sort of moisture and dirt (which eqauls MUD) hanging around the entrance of the tent. the open floor design is not as bad as you'd think until you try it. yes you can get dirt on your stuff...but with a small tarp to stack gear on and everything neatly in stuff sacks you can keep it dry and clean.

the best part about this style tent, and what i've come to love to the most is that all the gear...pads, sleeping bags, tripods, rifles, packs and whatever else you might need can go under the tent and stay dry. my buddy and i use an 5 man Wyoming Lost and Found Tipi tent...which is more than big enough for the two of us and all our gear. you could easily fit three big guys and all the gear for a 10 day hunting trip underneath..and that's with a stove in the way. without the stove...4 guys and all the gear no problem! another benefit...the tent only weighs 3.5lbs!

now onto the stove. for those hunts when the temps plummit....there is no better option than the Ti-Goat cylinder stove to be used along with the tipi tent. all together the stove weighs 1lb 10oz with the titanium stove pipe!!!!! that's less than 6lbs for a tent large enough to hold 4 guys and all thier gear...while being cozy warm in the middle of winter. you can get the tent up to about 65 degrees in 10 degree weather..and i'm not making that up. it gets warm as hell inside the tent...in 20 degree weather i was lying on top of my bag because it was too hot. i've heard of a lot of guys that pack summer bags in the winter time while using this tent/stove combo...it's a nice way to save a few pounds. plus..you can split up the parts. the tent, the tent pole, the stove body, and the stove pipe can all be packed seperate to spead out the weight among friends.

now you do need to be careful at night...if you roll into the stove with your nice new sleeping bag...you're going to melt it. embers can of course melt and pop your infaltable sleeping pad. the trick here is to make sure the stove mouth faces away from everything important and try not to burn pine too much last year we burned nothing but sappy wood and we had no problems...just need to pay attention.

the stove starts up and gets cooking easily...small kindling and some vasaline cotton balls is all you need to get it burning. it takes a little practice to get used to the flu design..but once you get the hang of it you can get it nice and red hot at with a slow burn. the stove will burn for about an hour after being stuffed with wood....so someone has to feed the beast during the night. i found the stove was a nice way to warm up the tent to get to sleep...and then after that my bag kept me warm. but if it is crucial to have it going all night...someone will have to feed it to keep it going.

so there it is...seems like i blew through this so if the review flows weird...i appologize. if you like standing up while getting dressed, keeping your rifle and spotting scope dry..and keeping toasty warm next to a fire...all while being in your tent...then this is definitelty worth looking into. the setup is not cheap...but then again neither are 4 season tents. this tent makes a great summer tent also...and if you hike with dogs...there's no floor there to put little claw holes in

hope you've enjoyed,

riggs

Attachments

• WYOMING 026.jpg
    WYOMING 026.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 12,245
  • WYOMING 045.jpg
    WYOMING 045.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 12,693
  • WYOMING 046.jpg
    WYOMING 046.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 14,853
  • WYOMING 040.jpg
    WYOMING 040.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 12,455
Last edited:
Nice setup and review. Good luck on your hunts this year.

Had the kifaru 8man with large stove and wish I never sold it. Had the para tarp and super tarp with annex and sold those also. Also had a megamid light with stove jack and Ti goat cylinder stove and sold them. Right now have the golite shangri la 4+ and kifaru small stove . Still need a stove jack and pipe but don't have any backpack trips this year so hope to get it setup for next year.

Dig the tent. Sutton shared one very similar to yours a bit ago. Really nice.

The "titanium" stove looks more like thin sheet metal... Is it titanium or just named that for the light weight effect of the stove carry ability?

Also, your review... prices for the flu, tent and stove? Does the flu have a damper? Maybe links to the sources for your purchases.

Awesome review! Just some vitals would be great! :)

Very interested - though the interest is all pending the pricing. I would love to play in a ferrari though, the matter boils down to my Dodge truck. :D

Tell ya, if I understand the price correctly for the stove AND titanium pipe... as really, $250, THAT IS A SMOKEN DEAL for an awesome packable stove. I clicked the pay pal deal for the 22" stove and titanium pipe (7') and that is what it was totalling...

The tent... well, that is avg price for that type - based on what I have seen elsewhere. About $750-800 for the stove flap 6.5'

A $1k deal for an awesome setup to pack in... and camp. Worth it - Hmmm, the stove yep! the tent - I can not get my brain to wrap around that thin material costing in materials over $50... so hard to figure its worth for $750-800 for lightweight fabric....
I would almost think I could purchase and fabricate the material for under $100...

Everything is based upon what one can afford for the practical use - so to me, The stove / pipe is a great price... the tent is not.

those are great prices I paid a butt load more for my tipi tent and stove form Kufaru going to look more into these items for sure !! thanks for posting !!

yeah the pricing is great...and they're top notch products.

keep an eye out for the tent..we got that one used and got a great deal on it. my buddy bought the tent and i bought the stove.

Another place to look for a tipi is Seek Outside. There is a good comparison to Kifaru on the backpacking forum of the 24hrcampfire. If I were looking for one, I would definitely look at them also.

Does the pipe have a baffle or some type of strained spark arrestor type unit? Guess that would be a fear for the money vested in the tent... For my wall tent, there is prop a pin hole added to my canvas tent each year I take it out.

How do you guys manage that aspect?

Do a search on 24hour for the owner of WY Lost and Found. Seems like a good guy, but he does let the liquor get the best of him at times...

Does the pipe have a baffle or some type of strained spark arrestor type unit? Guess that would be a fear for the money vested in the tent... For my wall tent, there is prop a pin hole added to my canvas tent each year I take it out.

How do you guys manage that aspect?

yes there is a spark arrestor that fits inside the pipe....but....i don't care what anyone says....you will end up with little tiny holes in your tent even if you use it religiously :) but, at the same time...it's no big deal. i would think i could use this thing for 10 years before it had enough holes in it to cause any real problems. they make patch kits and thy're super light and easy to use.

It is an awesome setup! I hope one day to have a setup like that - Just the opportunity to pack in - light as heck and have that comfort of heat - makes the world of difference to me.

Here was a prior thread on the same type of back country pack tent deal... CSutton has a different type of stove - and he finds it a nice setup as well.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=244194&highlight=tipi

I am wondering if I could fabricate a personal stove such as that... buy the light tent material and run some thicker 2" flat webbing at 6-8 locations around the tent to allow for guy line attachement areas, place a stove jack on one high side and place a padded square piece of webbing at the peak.

You find it practical to pack in a center pole or do you just chop a peckerpole? Based on the tent basis - I take it that pole is some 3-5 piece titanium fitting type pole - so I imagine the weight is nil.

Been very interested in a getting a setup as you have. Wish the $ was there to get her as it is - though a bit of time vested in building may get me along that track. Just looking to learn the areas of necessary focus if I am to come close to such a setup.

Sytes,

I was wondering how you got to the paypal deal for the 22" stove and 7' pipe for $250 you mentioned in a previous post. I get $310 when I added it to my cart from the cylinder stove page.

Thanks

yes there is a spark arrestor that fits inside the pipe....but....i don't care what anyone says....you will end up with little tiny holes in your tent even if you use it religiously :) but, at the same time...it's no big deal. i would think i could use this thing for 10 years before it had enough holes in it to cause any real problems. they make patch kits and thy're super light and easy to use.

Always used seam sealer or silicone caulk to patch any small burn holes.

Sytes,

I was wondering how you got to the paypal deal for the 22" stove and 7' pipe for $250 you mentioned in a previous post. I get $310 when I added it to my cart from the cylinder stove page.

Thanks

Titanium Goat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your shopping cart

Your Shopping Cart Description Price Quantity Amount
22" Cylinder Stove/W Ti Pipe
Pipe Size: 3'
250.00 quantity 1

$250.00
Item total:$250.00

I just noticed - $250 is for a shorter pipe... $310 is correct for the 7' pipe. Still decent price for a titanium setup.

yeah the tent pole is 3 pieces or 4 pieces i think...and ours is aluminum. it's no biggie...that 3.5lbs it the total weight of the tent and the pole...so it's really nothing when it comes to weight.

i mean....5lbs total weight for a big ass tent...and a stove...it's an awesome way to hunt.

or

like my dad would say....."that there is like a sore dick....you can't beat it"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back