Caribou Gear

Mounting New Scope??

thegamegtr

What do you do to make sure your scope is square to your gun?
Any tricks you use when mounting a scope?
Is there anyone in the Treasure Valley that you trust to do this for you?

Thanks

Miday USA makes a levelling tool called the level level level. Part of it slides into the action of the rifle with a level then there's a magnetized level that sits on top of the scope adjuster.

If using a dovetail mount don't use the scope to align the rings. Use a 1" steel bar. The level-level system that John mentioned works well. Lots of videos on YouTube.

Chris

I'd throw some blue lock tight on those small screw threads when you get it mounted. I learned the hard way that a plane trip to Alaska can cause things to loosen up. You can still get the blue lock tight off but it is really snug. Don't use the red though or you'll be screwed.

I have a home made device I use with metal and a trisquare and another little level.
I thought of the thread lock , lawnboy is talking about, but was afraid it would be too much for the little screws.
After thinking about it the blue is a lot milder than the red. I use both on my big trucks on different thing and The red is for HOT bolts.

If you are hesitant about the blue lock tight dust the threads with powdered baseball rosin. The friction of tightening the threads creates enough heat to melt the rosin, won't rattle loose but breaks free easily.

A scope leveler works great.I apply regular gun oil to the screw threads instead of locktight just my preferance.Tourqe screws to manufactures recomendations.Lap the scope ring also most people wont do this but it is the differance between putting a scope on a gun and mounting it the right way.There are rings out there that state lapping isnt needed but it wont hurt to check.Also if using dovetail mounts Leave the scope at the factory windage and adjust the dovetail mount to your bullseye then fine tune with your scope adjustment.

Last edited:
I prefer using Talley scope mounts instead of Leupold or similar. I mount them with the level level level then finish them off with blue locktite. I've never had a problem with my 300RUM and its seen 100 F to temperature and snow in the 20s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back